Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to give radials a shot with this wheeler and since I’m past “Hit every mud hole I see” style of riding but still have to deal with it once I awhile I decided on Reptile Radials. I didn’t want to go overboard on height wanted to get 26” tires but reviews said these ran short so I ordered 27x9 front and 27x11 rear and the Internet was correct for once, both sizes are 26 3/8” tall @ 5psi. Only one ride so far and they seemed pretty stiff so I’m going to try less air pressure, handling and stability are greatly improved. I’m actually able to take a corner at speed and not worry about the tire rolling over up front. They are heavy and took away all the wheelie ability that I gained from 20g clutch weights, and then some.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Your tires will sofen up some with miles.
To regain your lost power all you need 1.5mm of shims and an EPI purple spring. This simple mod only cost 35$ and will lower your initial cvt ratio by about 12 to 15 %. This easy mod made a big difference on my little 550 Grizz years back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Your tires will sofen up some with miles.
To regain your lost power all you need 1.5mm of shims and an EPI purple spring. This simple mod only cost 35$ and will lower your initial cvt ratio by about 12 to 15 %. This easy mod made a big difference on my little 550 Grizz years back.

Any loss of topend with the shim/spring combo? I've got a few LONG dirt roads to get to some of my riding areas. I hit the rev limiter @ 63mph with the stock tires, So far the best I've seen is 61mph with the reptiles without hitting the limiter (which is probably faster than stock). These 19'+ machines have a 7% gear reduction Vs. older machines which allows ~4mph .

also found out I was at 6psi air, dropped to 4psi all around and the ride is MUCH smoother! seems to be the sweet spot and the front tires still avoid "rolling under" on corners.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
With 1.5 of shims I lost around 3.5 mph. But my initial cvt ratio went from 2.45:1 to 2:75 witch really help get those heavier tires moving. A stronger spring doesn't effect your top speed. Just clamps the belt better, holds a lower gear longer sorta speak, and improves backshift.

If you want your cake and eat it to. Contact Arnie Cooper. My machined sheave from him give me nearly 3:1 initial with Zero top speed loss. About the same as 2.5mm shim. I'm currently running an extra 0.5 mm shim for a total of 3.1:1. At these super low ratios my little 37 hp 550 doesn't give a Crap about 140lbs of PitBull Growlers in High, and Low range is now raw tractor torque!

And yes your speedo will now read lower then actual because your are covering more distance per rotating. Thus why all my tests were with a gps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts