Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a front mount snow plow for my 2017 Kodiak. I will be adding the HD brush guard to it so I need one to work with it. Yamaha states that the provantage will work with the guard but I cannot find any info on the RM4. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and if you could post a pic of the mount straight on and to the side. Leaning towards the moose because I like the idea of a smallish receiver in the front to possibly mount other stuff to.

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
I can't speak for the Moose plow mount but I installed the Warn Provantage on my Kodiak last month.

Warn's instructions lack a lot when it comes to installing the plow mount. Also the plow mount that bolts to the Kodiak had to be modified a little by me with a grinder to allow the stock bumper to be remounted. This only took a couple of minutes and I then repainted it and if now looks factory. Also if you go with the Provantage plow I will recommend that you also purchase the pulley mount that bolts onto the plow assembly to raise and lower the plow with your winch. The way that they have you raise and lower the plow works but the pulley system is a lot better and should come with the plow assembly.

Just as a FYI I went with the Provantage plow because of Warn's repetition and I had one on my old 2000 Kodiak. Along with being able to find a Moose RM4 plow set up. I could find bits and pieces for the Moose but not a complete kit and I never did find a mounting bracket in stock for the Kodiak. Also with the Kodiak Provantage mount there are some other accessories that you can purchase that connect into this mounting system. But it isn't a receiver type of hook up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the warn mounting bracket hang below the A arms any. Can you post a pic of the mods you had to make? Thanks for the response

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
The mount is about even with the winch mount. The actual mounting bracket sits under the winch mount.

The picture of what I had to grind away to get the bumper back on is a very dark but you might be able to see the notch that I cut into it. This was just so that the bumper support could fit back in where it was suppose to.

I may of got a early mounting system and they may have the problem that I had taken care of with the new kits. I do know that the kit that I purchased was left over from last year.

If you can't see the pictures too well send me a PM with a email address and I'll send them to you.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a good setup. Probably what I will end up with. Thanks for the pics. If only we could get someone to post the Moose RM4 mount. Perhaps it is less popular for a reason?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I installed the RM4 mount system last year. I have a Warn winch and Warn winch mounting plate. My Yamaha dealer has sold Moose plows forever. I was initially going to buy a Yamaha front mount plow but they had the Moose in stock and it was less $$. The parts guys seemed to favor the Moose RM4 unanimously and said they plow with the RM4 system year in and year out. Installation was OK, but I did it in a cold garage, and this is my first ATV so it was a steep learning curve for me. I will take some pictures next week and post them.

The RM4 mount is sturdy and well built. I plowed a lot of snow last season with no problems. The mount itself does not hang below the ATV. The only thing that I don't like is that the pin that holds the plow mount in the RM4 receiver is supposed to go in from above the mount but that is impossible because the winch mount is in the way. So I insert the pin from below and use a zip tie to hold it in place (through the split ring) because I don't trust that the pin will not fall out on its own. I left the plow mount in the receiver all winter.

The plow is easy to install and remove. I know nothing about Warn, Yamaha, or other plows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the RM4 setup mainly because it was what the dealer offered. It got lots of use last winter. I installed it myself because the parts weren't in stock when I took delivery of the Kodiak. I don't know if I can post pics yet, but I'll give it a try in the near future. One additional note on the RM4 is the front plastic skid plate needs to be trimmed back. I used a Dremel with HSS router bit, plus a few trial fittings. Either way you go, get the pulley kit, it's much easier on the winch cable than a direct pull. This machine will push some serious snow even without chains.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hope this works...Photos of the receiver, plow mount and pin, and plow mount installed. The receiver by itself is unobtrusive, a trait I really like. The instructions that came with it aren't bad. You'll have to loosen or remove the winch mount bolts to install the receiver which is the most difficult part of the whole deal. Also, a photo from last winter. If you get the pulley kit (highly recommended) the winch hook will attach by means of an included strap. In the photo, I have the strap wrapped around the bumper, but if you attach the strap the rack you'll be able to lift the plow higher. That's how I'll do it this year. The bolts you see on the mount limit the downward travel of the plow made necessary because the angle of the push bar tends to lift the front of the machine and also changes the angle of the plow itself. There is also a bolt on the push bar latching mechanism which, when unlatched, supports the push bar to the level of the mount, theoretically so you can drive right into the latching pins. It's not the most simple system to install, but once that's done is easy to hook up and get going.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hope this works...Photos of the receiver, plow mount and pin, and plow mount installed. The receiver by itself is unobtrusive, a trait I really like. The instructions that came with it aren't bad. You'll have to loosen or remove the winch mount bolts to install the receiver which is the most difficult part of the whole deal. Also, a photo from last winter. If you get the pulley kit (highly recommended) the winch hook will attach by means of an included strap. In the photo, I have the strap wrapped around the bumper, but if you attach the strap the rack you'll be able to lift the plow higher. That's how I'll do it this year. The bolts you see on the mount limit the downward travel of the plow made necessary because the angle of the push bar tends to lift the front of the machine and also changes the angle of the plow itself. There is also a bolt on the push bar latching mechanism which, when unlatched, supports the push bar to the level of the mount, theoretically so you can drive right into the latching pins. It's not the most simple system to install, but once that's done is easy to hook up and get going.

That is exactly the setup I have. I really like the pulley kit which allows me to lift the plow very high. The extra height comes in very handy when I plow with the blade angled, which is about 80% of the time for me. I put the pulley strap on the rack. I do not use chains nor would I think I would ever need them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i just put the Yamaha brush guard on and it doesnt look like the Moose RM4 is compatable table. Looks like its the Warn. Thanks for the response everyone

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought an eagle 54” front mount. The mount itself does not fit well on my kodiak 700. Has anyone bought one of these and had the same issue? Please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Old thread I know but I was a little bored at work so I'm reading through some old post.. I have the Warn Provantage front mount on my 700. Works great. Easy on easy off.. Plowed twice with it so far and it works great for pushing the snow around.. Went with a 54" blade and that seems to do the trick for me just fine..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Warn Provantage here as well.

Went with the 60" and the front mount with quick release.
The one thing I had to change was the winch plate.

I had to get the one with the extra ear holes so the mount could bolt up.
The setup works great, but I have noticed some wear on my harbor freight winch rope.
Next winter I'll get two of those short ropes that are made just for plowing so I have a backup, and save my long rope for the woods.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Warn Provantage 54" with center mount. Was squeemish about banging the front end parts and plow is mounted for 5+months anyways so quick on and off wasn't really needed.

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
On my 2000 Kodiak I had the center mount which worked quite well. I could install it and take it off almost as fast as I can with my new front mount. However during the summer and fall I ride my Kodiak in some very rocky country and loosing that 1 1/2" of ground clearance was the selling point for the new Kodiak to have the front mount.

You haven't felt a jarring hit until the center mount system hits a rock when you are not expecting it. Then over time you need to get under there and grind off the burrs that the rocks have created. I also had to make some spacers for it since they also wore out. But that center mount is a good system depending on where you ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts