Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am going to do some experimenting with the factory exhaust tip on my 17 kodiak . I will be using a butt dyno and listening for exhaust popping to see if I get better response and flow. I have a EHS fuel controller with the canned kodiak tune, so if I do get some exhaust popping I can adjust which tells me I’ve increased my flow.
Ok so my first experiment is cutting apart the factory tip and removing the tail pipe intrusion into the spark arrestor. The spark arrestor has 2 welded spots to grind off so you can remove it.( first photo you can see I had to grind a lot of the weld off to remove the screen, apparently they didn’t want it to come off ) and then I cut the 4 inch pipe that went into the arrestor. I tack welded the arrestor back on and reinstalled into the muffler. I didn’t get a chance to ride the kodiak last night as it was getting late but i did start it and it did seem to iimprove the sound a bit. I’ll get a chance tonight to give it a few test hits around the house to see what the butt dyno tells me. 3rd photo is my reinstall tack weld for the spark arrestor. I also snapped a photo of the inside of my muffler. You can see the factory holes in the baffle.

Reactions: john zane

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are you going to video the sound. I have seen someone else mod the stock tip. never got to hear it run.
I could, if some one tells me how to post a video on here .

·
Registered
613 Posts
Looks good. Keep us posted!

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
To post a video you need to upload the video to a hosting site such as YouTube click on share and copy the URL then come back here and post the URL.

Are you eliminating the spark arrestor or keeping it?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To post a video you need to upload the video to a hosting site such as YouTube click on share and copy the URL then come back here and post the URL.

Are you eliminating the spark arrestor or keeping it?
Man that’s a lot of work to post a video ... just kidding I’ll see what I can do. For now I will be keeping the stock arrestor, but I have some mod plans for that also. I’ll be doing a bunch of different modifications that I want to see what effects they have on sound and performance.

Reactions: JimP

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok guys I made some test runs on my first mod ( removing the tail pipe intrusion into the arrestor ) it sounded deeper but I did not notice any significant gains . I did my second mod to the factory spark arrestor, I ground off the welds on the end cap and pulled it off. I then installed my redneck spark arrestor screen (stainless window screen ) over the end with some mechanic’s wire twisted up to hold it on. I wanted to put something on it for a bit of restriction.

Threw it back together and immediately noticed the even deeper exhaust note.Now with my other mods I’ve already done I could nail the throttle and the front end would rise but not pull the wheels of the ground unless I gave it some help. I’m not going to lie the first hit of the throttle surprised me and it pulled a small wheelie, I hit it a few more times and pulled a couple more and noticed some popping from the exhaust . So I definitely made some gains. Got it in the garage and in park I would hit the throttle and had quite a bit of popping off mid throttle. So I raised my fuel programmer by a 1/2 point then a full point and that eliminated the mid throttle popping on decel. Full throttle hits I did the same ended up 1 point higher to eliminate the decel popping. So as of now with zero money, just some time I’ve picked up some power .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thank you for the information. I noticed similar results from a aftermarket tip. I pop on decal sometimes. I am on the tune #2 with the air box lid from EHS. I might end up raising my yellow .5 Im already on 3.0
That's why I love programmers.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So my next mod is I ordered this spark arrestor to use in place of the factory unit, $12 on amazon . I think I’m going to stick with the stock exhaust tip for a bit as I like the deeper exhaust note but it’s not too loud. Wife and I want to ride Maine sometime and you can’t have a modded exhaust there, so I kinda want to keep the factory tip, wink , wink ... I’ll do a video when I get it all done so you guys can hear it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
That's a cool spark arrester!

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Super Moderator
68 Posts
Interesting way to free up some flow. I am following along.

And Thank You for keeping some sort of spark arrestor intact. I live in a forest and we had a pretty serious scare here a week ago in Evergreen, CO from a forest fire. We were still about 7 miles away as the crow flies, but we had 3 different families we offered to host at our house when they were given evacuation notices. It really brought back the seriousness of how easily forests can torch, especially when being able to see 100ft + flames coming off the mountain with the naked eye. And as you mentioned about Maine, it is required by law to have spark arresters on any form of OHV in CO too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting way to free up some flow. I am following along.

And Thank You for keeping some sort of spark arrestor intact. I live in a forest and we had a pretty serious scare here a week ago in Evergreen, CO from a forest fire. We were still about 7 miles away as the crow flies, but we had 3 different families we offered to host at our house when they were given evacuation notices. It really brought back the seriousness of how easily forests can torch, especially when being able to see 100ft + flames coming off the mountain with the naked eye. And as you mentioned about Maine, it is required by law to have spark arresters on any form of OHV in CO too.
Agreed, we can have fun and make extra power but still be responsible and safe about it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Ok so here’s the arrestor installed on the factory tip . I used 3 sheet metal screws and good old JB weld, the jb is good to 500 deg’s so we sill see how well it holds up. I’m letting it set up for a few days and I’ll get it put back together and get a video of my wife’s stock exhaust and my modded for sound. Sorry it took me so long to post, it took forever to get the arrestor and I’ve been in the middle of re-siding my garage.

Reactions: RedRocket
1 - 13 of 13 Posts