Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I feel the need to admit my own 'stupidity ' hopefully to help prevent someone else this extreme pleasure. Have a good laugh on me. Ordered set of Kenda bearclaw HTR tires and ITP steel 7x12 wheels. Arrived in 6 days late Monday. I have always heard how much the tires stabilize over stock. As I have been breaking in the 700 I hadn't pushed her much so I went out for a spirited ride. On a grassy area with very slight negative camber I jumped on the throttle on a slow left hand turn to slide the rear end around. Instead the right rear tire bit hard and I felt the front tire fold under. I am sure that I must have instantaneously squeezed more throttle as the bike wheelied in a pirouette with the bike flipping and rolling under power. WET TOWEL slapped me on the ground with the gas tank driving into my chest. I could feel the ribs snap. At first thought I may have fractured the spine. But was able to crawl out from under and get her rolled back on her wheels. OUCH!
Got home and laid down and realized I needed to pee. Took me 15 minutes to get to the John . I checked the tire pressure the next day and it was 3.5 lbs ..my fault for not checking the pressure before ' pushing her'. 2 ply tires are now at 9-10 lbs. Never trust a 2 ply tire at low pressure. Will up date the changes that I am making. The Kendas are impressive. Will post pics and updates on platform change
Please note the accident is my fault alone. Steroids and Vicodin keeps the pain tolerable. Had the tires mounted and balanced. You would not believe the big difference in weights between tires required to be balanced. I feel really stupid saying ride smart. Luckily no head/neck/ spine injuries. Please don't do this. Red

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This was on the stock tires.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I feel the need to admit my own 'stupidity ' hopefully to help prevent someone else this extreme pleasure. Have a good laugh on me. Ordered set of Kenda bearclaw HTR tires and ITP steel 7x12 wheels. Arrived in 6 days late Monday. I have always heard how much the tires stabilize over stock. As I have been breaking in the 700 I hadn't pushed her much so I went out for a spirited ride. On a grassy area with very slight negative camber I jumped on the throttle on a slow left hand turn to slide the rear end around. Instead the right rear tire bit hard and I felt the front tire fold under. I am sure that I must have instantaneously squeezed more throttle as the bike wheelied in a pirouette with the bike flipping and rolling under power. WET TOWEL slapped me on the ground with the gas tank driving into my chest. I could feel the ribs snap. At first thought I may have fractured the spine. But was able to crawl out from under and get her rolled back on her wheels. OUCH!
Got home and laid down and realized I needed to pee. Took me 15 minutes to get to the John . I checked the tire pressure the next day and it was 3.5 lbs ..my fault for not checking the pressure before ' pushing her'. 2 ply tires are now at 9-10 lbs. Never trust a 2 ply tire at low pressure. Will up date the changes that I am making. The Kendas are impressive. Will post pics and updates on platform change
Please note the accident is my fault alone. Steroids and Vicodin keeps the pain tolerable. Had the tires mounted and balanced. You would not believe the big difference in weights between tires required to be balanced. I feel really stupid saying ride smart. Luckily no head/neck/ spine injuries. Please don't do this. Red
Wow! That's an insane story. Must have been scary as hell when the quad landed on you. But as you mentioned, it could have been worse. You're lucky. I got a killer case of tendonitis in my right wrist from a long aggressive trail ride where I was mostly standing up...guess I was gripping the bars too hard. Couldn't do much of anything with that arm for about 2 weeks. That's my worst ATV injury.

On a brighter note, you will love the Bearclaw HTR's. Very smooth and stable!

·
Super Moderator
2,003 Posts
As they say chit happens just when you don't expect it.

On a old machine I was just driving down a dirt road fairly slow when I just tipped over. After I looked at it after I got it back up on 4 wheels was that I must of caught a lip of the road that flipped me onto the side.

I also have a few other experiences but they will have to wait until later. But you just never know when you are going to trip on that invisible line on the ground.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Glad you are OK! I bought a 91 Honda FourTrax new in 91 and I was young and strong, but still had a few accidents, that I still can see the effects of today. None of them serious. The reason I mention that is because these new machines are at least 200 pounds heavier, and that adds a great deal of seriousness to an accident.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
680 lbs was quite a shock to the system. It is amazing how the autonomic nervous system responds. Flipped the bike to its wheels and 10 min later couldn't get off the bed.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Oh jeez glad it wasn’t more serious. I think we all have a story or 2, wife and I were on our hunting lease going up a steep dug rd. we hadn’t driven up this part before and it was getting too sketchy so we backed down. She went first and backed into a side junction rd. turned around no problem. Well I come down and buried in thick pile of leaves is a wash out from the rain running down the rd. and yep my left rear tire slides in it and over I go, I quickly leaned forward and right only to have the handle bar clock me in my eye between my full face helmet. Quad rolls and the handlebar pins my left arm and thankfully I had my chain saw strapped to my back rack so it held the quad up off the rest of me. I got my right leg up under the floor board and lifted it off my arm. Of course the wife was a wreck and it could have been worse no doubt. I was so glad it didn’t happen to her.
A couple of photos one right after and my black eye and bruise on my arm that came out a day later.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Oh and 1 inch spacers all around with your new squared tires are awesome for stability.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So very fortunate yourself that you did not sustain serious ocular damage. Thanks for the thoughts guys. Let's all avoid big ones.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So glad that you guys are ok. I have my story to as we all do. This is what we love and we take the risk to enjoy the freedom. Stay safe and heal good.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well as the saying goes, if your going to play your going to pay.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You would think that at my age I would have learned by now. Oh well..its a' good kinda pain ' know what I mean ? HA!

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks for the warning! Glad you didn't get hurt worse. The stock tires are ridiculously soft. They would make me feel like my rig was going to tip over just riding across an off camber trail.
You can tell people you were attacked by a Kodiak and you won't be lying.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now that's funny..just hurts a bit laughing just now.

Reactions: KodiakAfishyo

·
Registered
402 Posts
Its great to hear that you are in recovery, you feel pain, and embarrassment when it all happens.

I used to ride my stocks a bit high on pressure for that reason.

If anyone ever rides my atv(basically no one), i tell them quickly, "this is an excellent machine, and it will kill you, with that said, take er easy"

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't ride too aggressively anymore. I'm old and don't heal so fast. Plus, I've watched too many ATV fails on the YouTube.
Glad it wasn't too bad on ya.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doing real good as long as I don't cough forcibly. I'm 66 going on '36' .. Ha. Whose fooling who? Takes quite a while to heal .. Damn .. sound like my Grandpa.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seriously doing great. Thanks for the shout out guys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Be careful all! These things are fun but can really ruin your day. I'm 68 so I use it everyday for my run with the dogs. Tempted at times but, can't get hurt, too old for that. I guess the push is normal the younger you are. You don't want to bring old injuries into your old age so you can still do this! Please be safe!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Working on it. Just a moment of excessive exuberance. Working on my own modification needs. Half of the parts are yet to arrive. All modifications are for increased stability and traction. hats off to the 'young bloods ' with the clutch mods but my throttle response is quick hitting enough for my spirited ride. Plenty have more testosterone than me now. Steering/ traction/stability/ reliability. Dang I sound like 'the old fart '. Red

1 - 20 of 25 Posts