Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta do some further investigating but, the solenoid /relay is working fine and i have plenty off lights. The machine won't turn over at all. We may get hit by a hurricane Wednesday. Hope it heads right for this quad lol.

Super Moderator
The more that I read with owners having starter problems I think that I am going to do some preventive maintenance and replace mine next spring.

No problems with it for now but I get into some backwoods areas by myself and don't want to chance it.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: rancherMike

Registered
The more that I read with owners having starter problems I think that I am going to do some preventive maintenance and replace mine next spring.

No problems with it for now but I get into some backwoods areas by myself and don't want to chance it.

I get your concern, but do not just change a perfectly functional starter out of paranoia. If it does start acting up at all for sure change it . But t'ill then, you may have the starter that will last forever, and the there's no guarantee a newer one will be better or last longer.

Just saying....

Super Moderator
Oh I know that the odds may not catch up with me.

Perhaps I'll just buy it and carry it around as a spare, that way the original one will last forever

Super Moderator
I've looked at a few and have found prices on them are all across the board. From $60-$200 US.

I would also be leery of stock ones, but they should have the problem with them taken care of, or we can hope.

What aftermarket ones have you looked at if any?

Registered
I have wished that we have a way to accually release that compression enough to roll start these machines. I have all kinds of backup incase of a dead battery. But not a dead starter

Registered
I have wished that we have a way to accually release that compression enough to roll start these machines. I have all kinds of backup incase of a dead battery. But not a dead starter
"Apparently" you can pull start them with another quad. Seems you need X amount of speed. Again, didn't do it and it mite be BS....but I'd like to know cause atleast it's a potential back plan

Reactions: Jssrvlz

Super Moderator
I know that some have wondered about a pull start like was on older Kodiaks. But I think that even with a lot of compression released it would be a bear so to speak to start it that way.

Perhaps we need to see if we can engineer a kick starter for the 700 engine

Registered

Registered
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
Oh I know that the odds may not catch up with me.

Perhaps I'll just buy it and carry it around as a spare, that way the original one will last forever

Good one Jim! :ROFLMAO:

Registered
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
When its cool outside our machine when keyed on and button pushed to start will start then die quickly. Button pushed to start again and it starts and keeps running. Its done this since we've owned it. When its warmer it'll start and keep running the first try.

My point is I reckon having to start it twice is extra wear and tear on the starter.

So far so good. I think we are approaching 500+ hours on the machine.

Super Moderator
Starting it twice seams to be a very common problem with the 700 engine. Mine has also done it since I got it.

I've thought about talking to a actual mechanic to see what he thinks but never have. I am thinking that it has something to do with the fuel injection that we have and no actual choke.

Registered
When its cool outside our machine when keyed on and button pushed to start will start then die quickly. Button pushed to start again and it starts and keeps running. Its done this since we've owned it. When its warmer it'll start and keep running the first try.

My point is I reckon having to start it twice is extra wear and tear on the starter.

So far so good. I think we are approaching 500+ hours on the machine.

Starting it twice seams to be a very common problem with the 700 engine. Mine has also done it since I got it.

I've thought about talking to a actual mechanic to see what he thinks but never have. I am thinking that it has something to do with the fuel injection that we have and no actual choke.
My old 09 Grizzly did it on cold starts about 1/3 the time as well. Outside temperature didn鈥檛 seem to be a factor. It was a documented Yamaha quirk with the fuel injection even back in those years

Registered
my 450 does it, usually on cold starts. Doesn't seem to do it on re-starts.

Registered
Both of my bikes started on the first firing when new after several months they now always require a second ignition. The 450 stumbles slightly for a few seconds the both smooth out. Does not happen on restart after warm. This is totally due to the lean settings. The engine needs more fuel on initial start up while auto choking. The lean settings are due to emissions requirements as the 'burn' is inefficient on cold start while choked. Not a problem with the engine. Does the use of fuel management software address this?

Registered
My 2016 has been intermittently not starting but I think it might be the battery going. For example, it sat for a few weeks and it was slow to turn over but started the other day. Then next start to pull it in the garage it didn't start. But then it will work for weeks/months with no issues?? But charging the battery gets it to start again. So battery in my case right?

Registered
I have a 2016 kodiak powe r steering.... low hours...had it in for replacement top end under recall etc...told them it was hard to start,and I blamed the battery,,,,put charger on the battery for 30 mine and it rolled over fast and started... while doing the top end replaccement,they looked at the starter... still working but in bad shape... I got a used one and the dealer installed it....Starts great now......I took the origional starter apart... 2 of the 8 magnetic segments on the housing were pretty much distroyed...brushed,bushings etc were great...Was wondering if there are repair kits that would have those parts inc... if not,,,,what brand of replacement starter is recommended? Im hesitant to buying OEM fro Yamaha because they may have the same issues... Any suggestions? Id like to carry one as a spare incase I get suck in the woods

Registered
I have a 2016 kodiak powe r steering.... low hours...had it in for replacement top end under recall etc...told them it was hard to start,and I blamed the battery,,,,put charger on the battery for 30 mine and it rolled over fast and started... while doing the top end replaccement,they looked at the starter... still working but in bad shape... I got a used one and the dealer installed it....Starts great now......I took the origional starter apart... 2 of the 8 magnetic segments on the housing were pretty much distroyed...brushed,bushings etc were great...Was wondering if there are repair kits that would have those parts inc... if not,,,,what brand of replacement starter is recommended? Im hesitant to buying OEM fro Yamaha because they may have the same issues... Any suggestions? Id like to carry one as a spare incase I get suck in the woods
So yours exhibited a bad battery but turned out to be the starter as well? Mine is still intermittent. Seems so much like a low battery but hate to replace it if it doesn鈥檛 need it, also hate to replace a starter if it doesn鈥檛 need it either lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts