Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new 2020 Kodiak for its first ride this past weekend. Only did about 3 hours this trip as I had a lot of work to do around Camp but it was a good 1st day on the new ATV.

All trail are around our Camp in the Adirondacks in an area not too far from Gore Mt. NY. A big storm had come through a few days earlier so most of the trails were either very wet or impassible due to high water in the creeks/brooks so I didn't push any limits on fording any deep water this trip. I'll wait until it warmer and see what happens :)

Initial impressions are all good. Runs a bit different than my old Rincon, and our current 300 for sure. Off the line, the CVT doesn't seem as quick as the Rincon, but after you get rolling power comes on quick then levels off. This took some getting used to in some technical rock crawling though a nearby brook, almost flipped in low range trying to be subtle with the throttle in the rocks :) Running tight trails at speed was pretty smooth, and drifting turns was very similar to the Rincon (easily controllable and fast). Happy I went with the Kodiak rather than the Griz XT-R I was also looking at, rubbed fenders on a bunch of trails with the Kodiak, so the XT-R would have been a tight fit!

Heading back up for Thanksgiving weekend so hope to get more seat time!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Nice photo! Looks like a great time. Nice collection of quads!

In slow technical driving your supposed to use your low range for exactly those reasons

·
Registered
390 Posts
Great pics man!! The creek looks like it is flowing pretty hard

A lot of people talk about the lack of instant throttle.

Im not sure if Im just ok with it, or the 708 maybe has a little less lag.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't so much mind the bottom lag, as much as when you transition past that lag the throttle hits pretty hard the machine launches. In sport/trail riding that is fine, but in technical stuff that could get a bit sketchy. I'm sure I'll get acclimated to to it as I get more seat time.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great pics man!! The creek looks like it is flowing pretty hard

A lot of people talk about the lack of instant throttle.

Im not sure if Im just ok with it, or the 708 maybe has a little less lag.
The water level was close to 4-Ft. above normal level for this time of year, almost like a quick spring thaw! Had a reported 5"+ rain fall the night before in only a couple hours with up to 60+ MPH winds. I knew something was up on my drive up I-87 where several of those big green highway signs were snapped completely off and laying in the woods!

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nice pics!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How did you ever get those machines in what looks like your basement?
LOL, we have a walkout basement with French doors so we can ride in or out. Also have a couple snowmobiles we can ride in and out as well.

Makes it easy to store and service, except when my son takes them out in the snow and gets them all dirty, then rides them in and they melt all over the darn floor. Damn kids!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts