Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These Gold Plugs are awesome!
Amazing the metalic debris they pull out of your engine and differential oils. They have large hex heads so you're not likely to strip them.

Attachments

Super Moderator
OK, now that I am interested..........

Part number and supplier please....

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK, now that I am interested..........

Part number and supplier please....
Part numbers off their website for 2016-2018 Kodiak 700.

-708 engine oil plug
MP-02T

-Front differential
MP-12

-Rear diff.
AP-02R

Reactions: Primethious

Super Moderator
Thanks, I'll have to pick some up before I do my next maintenance this spring.

For others here is the link.

https://goldplug.com/

Reactions: Primethious

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Their are cheaper options for sure, but I've read a few stories of cheaper style plugs with hex heads snapping off the first time they were installed or removed. Kinda scary...

Registered
When I changed my engine oil, I looked very careful for any flecks of metal, I even put a drop on hard white paper under bright light and magnifying glass. There was 0 detectable metal, and meatal that might be there, will not stick to a magnet, as it is not ferrous metal. At a reasonable price these plugs might be a good thing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
When I changed my engine oil, I looked very careful for any flecks of metal, I even put a drop on hard white paper under bright light and magnifying glass. There was 0 detectable metal, and meatal that might be there, will not stick to a magnet, as it is not ferrous metal. At a reasonable price these plugs might be a good thing.
My engine magnetic plug usually has a little fine metal debris at every oil change. Obviously oil filter gets the vast majority of it.

The differentials plugs always have alot more metalic sludge on them. Even with regular oil changes every 1000 miles. In this case the magnets are definitely doing their jobs and trapping contaminates.

Registered
On my other bikes I've used Dimple, but with these guys offering three different plugs for our bikes...well that's the kind of commitment I have to support.
Thanks for the tip on a great product.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If I can ask in this thread, should I change the differential oils sooner that the book says?
I would suggest every 1000 miles..Maybe 1500 miles max. Cheap insurance

Registered
Thanks, I have seen lots of comments on this subject and always felt it was over stated. I had a toyota car that went 250,000 miles and never changed the differential oil. I am going to change my 700 differential oil, as soon as I get it in where it is warm the next time, because if is important this is the most likely time to need them changed. I will let you know how they look!

Super Moderator
I just plan on changing the diff oils at the same time that I do my engine oil. They should go quite a bit longer but while I have things apart I'll just do them.

The owners manual should show the change interval for them.

Registered
If I can ask in this thread, should I change the differential oils sooner that the book says?
Yes.
You can't change it too often IMO.
When I did all my oils at my first change it had less than 100 miles on it, and the rear diff oil was absolutely filthy. I'm planning on changing the rear diff fluid at every oil change. Front the same unless it looks real clean then perhaps every other.

Super Moderator
You really can't go by how the oil looks as far as if it needs to be changed. If I did that I would need to change the oil every couple of months in my diesel truck.

I have also sent in oil samples to have it checked out and have found that the oil is just fine as far as its additives and viscosity when it was quite dark.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just did my diff oil changes. 15 months and 2200 miles with Lucas full synthetic 80W90 gear oil. I'd say the plugs did their jobs!

Attachments

Registered
I said in a post in this thread, that when I changed my diff oils, I would tell you what I found. AT 300 miles, I got to it. The fluid in both did not look as bad as I expected, so I guess that is a good thing. I let the fluid settle out, and had some sediment in both, but no water and no dark color in either.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I said in a post in this thread, that when I changed my diff oils, I would tell you what I found. AT 300 miles, I got to it. The fluid in both did not look as bad as I expected, so I guess that is a good thing. I let the fluid settle out, and had some sediment in both, but no water and no dark color in either.
Bet if you if you accumulated 2200 hard miles between Diff Fluid changes it wouldn鈥檛 look so good. Lol

My fluids looked clean coming out but was grey ish colour in the container.

Registered
RE: Lucas full synthetic 80W90

I thought the rear case needed a friction modifier gear oil for the brake, or is that just hype?

Super Moderator
It does need a friction modifier in the oil. Most synthetic oils will have in in them already. Also as long as the oil meets the GL5 specs it will be fine.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts