Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at the local NAPA store for a bottle of gear oil for the front diff. The only thing they had in stock that specifically said "GL-4" was Lucas heavy duty high performance 80w90 conventional oil. I bought the stuff but subsequent research hasn't garnered me a lot of positive reviews. Anyone use it? Any good?

Super Moderator
You can get by with regular gear lube in the front end since there are no clutches in it

I just use synthetic gear lube in minr

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
It's not necessarilily wether it's conventional or synthetic. The quality of the brand is my biggest concern. Having said this, I was going to use synthetic but none of the brands they had listed gl-4 specs anywhere on the bottle.

Registered
I have total faith in Lucas, and I would gladly use it. I expect it was a bit expensive! It is very hard to get detailed info on most of these products, and even then who knows?

Registered
I've racked up 8500 kms with Lucas full synthetic in my front and rear differentials without issues. ( I have 4 wheel disc)

Registered
I am not a lubes and oils expert, intermediate or maybe below a beginner even but from what I鈥檝e read is that the Lucas products are an average product (once you remove people鈥檚 hyperbole) for a premium price. The other issue is that there鈥檚 some kind of additive for engine oil (I think) that seems to be at the centre of the Internet displeasure.

Seems like there鈥檚 no reason to run out and change it but it might not be the best value or performance.

Nomad, do you have a lubes company you usually go with?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I
Nomad, do you have a lubes company you usually go with?
I use synthetic oil in everything. Mobil 1 or Castrol edge in vehicles and mowers..Shell rotella t6 in my atv and generator. I believe I have Castrol synthetic in the diffs on my truck. About due for a change I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts