Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 450SE and have been doing all the regular matinenace, fluids/checks etc, but now it's time to do some lubrication on a few areas, e.g. knuckle pivots, and drive shaft u-joints. I see zerk fittings for the drive shaft, as well as for the rear suspension points.

However, I have a few dumb questions hopefully someone with experience can chime in.

- does the typical auto/marine grease-gun grease satisfy the requirement here or should I find a yamaha product?
- how many pumps do you generally need, and will you see the old grease come out?
- two of the lubrication pivot points don't have fittings on them, any advice on how to lubricate these ?

The manual doesn't do much for detail. Apologies if this is answered already, search doesn't seem to work for me. Thanks :)

Super Moderator
On the 700 there are only 4 grease fittings that are located on the rear arms.

The driveshaft is in a sealed housing and is not serviceable without a teardown. Are you sure that the 450's is serviceable?

You might want to purchase a repair manual which will have all kinds of info on what needs to be serviced. Good ones are available on Ebay in CD format. As for what type of grease, I use a marine grade and will fill until I see some coming out of the fittings.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Registered
What JimP said. Also I have had grease fittings take grease then you just can鈥檛 pump anymore grease in and nothing comes out, so you may not always see grease come out between the seal.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the info! I did pickup a service manual, that does help. As for the 450 vs 700, yes, the 700 is sealed, but the 450 does have fittings for and the manual does say to regularly utilize the grease fittings.

None of the manuals say how much, I just didn't want to blow a seal. I've seen online people saying they just give each one a couple pumps, I'll start with that. Not quite sure yet how to lubricate the knuckle pivots, maybe they need to be taken apart ? (see attached pic)

Attachments

Super Moderator
My coworker has a 450 kodiak, the drive shaft is definitely greasable, but we tried and tried to get the house on the fitting, no luck, so we stood by the dealer and talked to a mechanic there. He told us it required aneedle. So we stopped by parts store picked up needle put it on the grease gun hose, and easily greased the zerk on the front drive shaft.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts