Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Kodiak base model with less than two hours on it has loud whine when you let off the throttle. This is particularly noticeable when you let off the throttle while heading down hill where the whine becomes a scream. I'm not familiar with Yamaha's engine braking system to make any judgement on the noise but my previous machine a Polaris Sportsman 500 forced me to throttle up on any down hill and didn't make any sound whatsoever. This whine is loud enough that if I knew about it ahead of purchase I would have bought something else.

I've taken it to two Yamaha dealers that can't duplicate the problem. Unfortunately neither has 10 miles of 7% to 9% grade starting at their driveway to test on.

Do any of you have a similar issue or is this just the nature of the beast?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't recall my 16EPS having any sort of whine even when going down grades. That sounds like a gearbox whine, but I don't know you know what from apple butter about the gearbox in these machines. I have replaced gears in the rearends of pickups and sometimes they will whine for a short time till they break-in a little, so maybe the noise will go away with more miles on it. I would suggest just riding it and forget about the noise. If it indeed is something serious you will find out.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Perhaps you could record the sound to let dealer hear? The only whining I hear from mine is when the wife is on back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine whines too . . . but I'm also coming from a Honda Foreman with a very different transmission vs. the Yamaha's belt drive. I figured it was more or less normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts