Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'21 STD all stock
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So doing a little self recovery this evening and got a little too far unspooled... Cable (steel) popped off the winch and I lost the little button that secures it in the mud. Any trick to getting it back on there secure with household hardware? VRX 2500 winch nothing special. The cable is brand new or I would go ahead and just switch to synthetic now. Still might. But, any suggestions?

·
Grizzled Mod
308 Posts
I got rid of the winch button and didn't use it when I used steel cable. Pull enough threw and wind over the tail, it will hold just make sure and don't unwind too far.

I have since switch to synthetic rope and will never go back to steel cable, so much easier to handle and wind it the same as I did with the steel cable, no button. During riding season, I have 50' wound on my winch spool and then carry an additional 50' with me as many times a good winch point is not within 45'. I've needed that second 50' a couple of times. If you're considering going to synthetic rope, do it.

Reactions: Mr_MiNT

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
It is always a good idea to carry extra rope or something that will reach to a anchor point when you don't have enough cable to get you there. Most winch manufactures recommend that you keep at least one wrap of cable/rope on the spool when winching and when you only start out with 25 or so feet of line that one wrap comes up quick.

·
Registered
'21 STD all stock
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got rid of the winch button and didn't use it when I used steel cable. Pull enough threw and wind over the tail, it will hold just make sure and don't unwind too far.

I have since switch to synthetic rope and will never go back to steel cable, so much easier to handle and wind it the same as I did with the steel cable, no button. During riding season, I have 50' wound on my winch spool and then carry an additional 50' with me as many times a good winch point is not within 45'. I've needed that second 50' a couple of times. If you're considering going to synthetic rope, do it.
Thanks for the info! Wasn't sure if I could do that or not. And definitely will carry extra from now on after this fun little lesson.

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
It only takes once before you start carrying extra rope or whatever to reach a anchor point.

When I was working I brought home about 10,000 feet of mule tape that is used to pull in heavy cables, it's rated at 2400 lbs and 300 feet of it doesn't take up much room and it is very light. You can use it anywhere rope is used.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
I carry a 20 ft atv tow strap to use when needed , Works great to wrap around a tree etc.

·
Registered
'21 STD all stock
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It only takes once before you start carrying extra rope or whatever to reach a anchor point.

When I was working I brought home about 10,000 feet of mule tape that is used to pull in heavy cables, it's rated at 2400 lbs and 300 feet of it doesn't take up much room and it is very light. You can use it anywhere rope is used.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Yep, definitely something that'll go in the kit bag. Little prep like that would have saved my back from digging and muscling ol' girl out of the mud hahaha. Appreciate the advice

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
A handy little tip is to use apiece of tape or a shot of bright spray paint on your cable about 8ft from the end, when you spool out, you see that spot, you know you are close to the end without pulling completely off the spool.
I have tape on my synthetic rope at 8 to 9 ft, then another at 4 to 5 ft. First one is close, second spot means don't pull any further. That gives me the 4 to 5 wraps on the spool for max pulling power and have never pulled completely off the spool since doing this.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'21 STD all stock
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A handy little tip is to use apiece of tape or a shot of bright spray paint on your cable about 8ft from the end, when you spool out, you see that spot, you know you are close to the end without pulling completely off the spool.
I have tape on my synthetic rope at 8 to 9 ft, then another at 4 to 5 ft. First one is close, second spot means don't pull any further. That gives me the 4 to 5 wraps on the spool for max pulling power and have never pulled completely off the spool since doing this.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I was planning on doing this as I respool! Glad to hear it works good, I can definitely use the dummy proofing thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts