Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered adding a locking brake lever? Several other brands have them, and it’s a pretty simple lever tied into the rear brake lever.
I know, we have Park. But my Park-lock seems to allow 4” of roll before it stops. I’m finding 4” of roll is too much in the trailer, and occasionally too much when I’m stopped on a slippery rock-face trail.
Second question, how do your guys lube the shifter? It’s gotten really hard to change gears

·
Registered
663 Posts
On the shifter, it is likely a bent rod. Dealer told me it is common with these machines.

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the shifter, it is likely a bent rod. Dealer told me it is common with these machines.
That’s interesting... it’s always been hard. I will pull some plastic and check it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I like the idea of a brake lock, but I have not tried it. I use the Park setting and it works well. but I always have a question as to it holding when I am on a steep hill. I will wait to see what comes up about easing the shifting issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
I always try and avoid parking on a steep hill even if it mean that I have to hike for a ways. If I do stop on a steep one where I will be away for a bit I'll throw a rock or a log under the rear tires.

The biggest problem with these bikes is that the brakes are independent of each other. If the hill is steep enough I want all 4 wheel locked and not just the front or the rear.

I have one road that I drive on down in Arizona where you need to stop of a pretty good grade to open up a gate. I just put it into park and have had zero issues doing it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have some steep hills, that if I need to park, going up the hill I get above a tree, and then let the ATV roll back into a tree. I do the same if I am going down. Some of the hills are steep enough that when I am parked against a tree in the down hill direction, it is a bit uneasy by baking up on such a steep hill to get away from the tree. I will say this, the Park position works well in a steep parking situation, but I do wonder when I am coming back to it I look carefully to make sure it did not pop out of gear and leave the slope!

·
Registered
297 Posts
True locking brakes are a definite benefit and should be standard. This function was present on my previous Polaris. However the brakes front and rear were controlled by a single lever which facilitates the ease of function. However this would be engineering child's play for Yamaha to incorporate.

Reactions: JD864

·
Registered
297 Posts
Actually what should be done is to convert the nearly useless rear brake foot pedal into a on / off foot actuated parking brake with a detent when activating that can be physically be felt with the appropriate dummy light on the screen gauges. The rear hand brake is superior in function to the foot lever .. little lost. Red

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually what should be done is to convert the nearly useless rear brake foot pedal into a on / off foot actuated parking brake with a detent when activating that can be physically be felt with the appropriate dummy light on the screen gauges. The rear hand brake is superior in function to the foot lever .. little lost. Red
That’s a great idea actually. With the internal rear brake, the foot pedal has almost no feel. It’s either locked up, or doing nothing. I only use the hand brake in technical riding so I can actually feel it.

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
I think that you would cause more problems than you would get a benefit from. If you accidentally activated the foot brake pedal and then continued to ride you could quite possibly wear out the clutches in the wet brake.

I have a nephew who took my old 2000 Kodiak for a ride one day and when he was done I didn't have a rear brake. He rested his foot on the pedal, not enough to actually stop the machine but enough that I ended up replacing the rear brake pads. No biggie but it did cause unnecessary wear.

It would be easier to put a hydraulic brake lock on the front brakes since they are hydraulic.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Whichever way would be reliable and natural ergonomically would be great. It seems obvious that this would be simple to engineer and quite useful and cost little to implement. Just a thought while I down a SAMS 76.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Also with a proper detent with full on or off I think that accidentally actuation is not so likely.. blinking dummy light asI implied for the sensory challenged. Whatever works.

Reactions: MarshMaster

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can tell those that don’t plow snow much. Try running your winch, then quickly shifting from reverse to forward while getting ready to punch the throttle without using your foot brake. I would be super slow if it weren’t for the foot brake. I often forget I even have a left hand brake lever!

I would like to see some easy mod to lock the front brake lever when in park.

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
When plowing snow I have no problems hitting the foot brake to shift to reverse or drive.

But when trail riding I'll use the hand brake most since I am standing up a lot.

I guess it is all in what you get used to depending on what you are doing.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Buckmaster is right... some of us ( that would be me) have no experience with plowing snow with an ATV. That was something I had not considered. Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just telling wife about the no "park brake" on the new Kodiak. There is one on our older 2007 Grizzly 350 2wd and I can tell ya I really want one on the Kodiak.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts