Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700-EPS, EHS tuner, airbox & lid, HMF Titan (Quiet) exhaust, Warn 2500 winch & 52" plow.
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I'm gonna be installing an EHS tuner in the next couple of days, including a decision on where to locate it on my 700-EPS, and a couple of questions come to mind.

First off, as I understand it, these bullet box tuners don't really "flash" anything to the fuel injection system in the strictest sense. The term "flash" being an instantaneous, one-time update of parameters. Instead, it would appear that they simply insert into (and remain active and resident in), the fuel injection circuit, constantly providing the specified parameters in real time, which means that once installed and programmed, they likely cannot be removed, right? Or can they?

In thinking about it, two key questions arise:

1) Once installed, do you really need to have regular or ready access to it again in the future? In other words, once it's in the circuit, you shouldn't ever need to adjust it's settings again, right? Unless you made a significant change to your exhaust, etc. Which, if so, has me wondering . . . why does it need to be made accessible in the storage bin as often recommended? In other words, why not just install it, make the necessary adjustments, and then store it in a sealed ZipLok (or similar), directly under the storage bin?

Perhaps more importantly (and please forgive my ignorance, if this sounds silly, but) . . .

2) If there's no need to access it again after the initial adjustment of parameters has been made to the bullet box and successfully sent to the fuel injection system, could it even be fully removed from the bike, with the wiring harness and connections being returned to their original OEM state? Or, does it have to remain in the circuit, whenever the bike is powered on?

It's an interesting thing to think about, but what say all you guys on this? :unsure:

·
Registered
414 Posts
2) If there's no need to access it again after the initial adjustment of parameters has been made to the bullet box and successfully sent to the fuel injection system, could it even be fully removed from the bike, with the wiring harness and connections being returned to their original OEM state? Or, does it have to remain in the circuit, whenever the bike is powered on?

When plugged into the injector circuit the tuner is modifying the signal sent to the injector. Not changing the factory yamaha programming just piggie backing it , tricking the factory set parameters . So when you remove the tuner you go back to the factory Yamaha tune.
1) Once installed, do you really need to have regular or ready access to it again in the future?
No not at all , but installing it in the storage compartment is about the safest place to mount it to keep it out of harms way.

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700-EPS, EHS tuner, airbox & lid, HMF Titan (Quiet) exhaust, Warn 2500 winch & 52" plow.
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2) . . . when you remove the tuner you go back to the factory Yamaha tune.

1) . . . but installing it in the storage compartment is about the safest place to mount it to keep it out of harms way.
Excellent. Thanks for your thoughts, Rob:

2) Yup, that's kinda what I suspected.

1) If sealed properly, there probably aren't too many safer places for it than directly under the storage bin, but now that I know it cannot be disconnected altogether, I guess I might as well put it inside the bin, and just run the wires down through it. Maybe widen the drain plug and just use a larger, well-sealed grommet?? :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Excellent. Thanks for your thoughts, Rob:

2) Yup, that's kinda what I suspected.

1) If sealed properly, there probably aren't too many safer places for it than directly under the storage bin, but now that I know it cannot be disconnected altogether, I guess I might as well put it inside the bin, and just run the wires down through it. Maybe widen the drain plug and just use a larger, well-sealed grommet?? :rolleyes:

Thanks again.
Mine is most likely going in by the battery, or velcroed to the underside of the hood. Only real reason to access it after initial install and dialing in the final tune would be if you change your exhaust or any part of your intake.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Are the boxes waterproof?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Are the boxes waterproof?
I would say water resistant, it all depends on how and what you ride. I like mud so mines velcroed to my lid on my storage box .

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would say water resistant, it all depends on how and what you ride. I like mud so mines velcroed to my lid on my storage box .
Rack storage box?

·
Grizzled Mod
255 Posts
As what @Rob-c mentioned is true but with a little bit more info. Those boxes modify the voltage pulses sent to the injector so what the bullet boxes are doing is live adjustments to fueling.

Reactions: Rob-c and Vincent

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thing that got me started on this whole topic of location, was the EHS instructions which have you carving-up the storage bin (or it's lid) to allow passage of the wires. Personally, I don't like doing those kinds of things unless it's absolutely necessary, and I just don't see storage of the tuner in the inside of the bin as being "necessary". In my world, the storage bin is for stuff like keys, wallet, garage door opener and pistol.

Also, I think Rob-c is correct. I think the tuners are "water resistant", and not "waterproof", but if you're like me, and you don't do alot of mudding or snorkeling, etc., you would think that a well-sealed ZipLok bag (or similar) would suffice, making a spot like under the hood or under the storage bin a practical choice.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Haha I thought you were asking if the bullet box was water proof .
I was! Lol. Then I was asking if the box you keep it in was a rack storage box

·
Registered
414 Posts
Reactions: Blmpkn

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
The thing that got me started on this whole topic of location, was the EHS instructions which have you carving-up the storage bin (or it's lid) to allow passage of the wires. Personally, I don't like doing those kinds of things unless it's absolutely necessary, and I just don't see storage of the tuner in the inside of the bin as being "necessary". In my world, the storage bin is for stuff like keys, wallet, garage door opener and pistol.

Also, I think Rob-c is correct. I think the tuners are "water resistant", and not "waterproof", but if you're like me, and you don't do alot of mudding or snorkeling, etc., you would think that a well-sealed ZipLok bag (or similar) would suffice, making a spot like under the hood or under the storage bin a practical choice.
My exact thoughts. I don't really do mud unless needed to proceed, i do cross some creeks, but never over 30" deep. So i think a small water proof cellphone pouch with a gromet sealed around the wires

Maybe something like this little box...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts