Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new to forum just wondering how limited Slip diff works, my 2017 base model will only spin right wheel

Super Moderator
It isn't limited slip but a open front end.

You need to get a locker or does your Kodiak have the diff lock feature?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply. I was told when I purchased from dealer there was no diff lock but there was a limited slip diff.I guess I was given wrong information.I can see a locker in my future. Did any of 700 Kodiaks come with limited slip?

Super Moderator
There are some that say that the rear end is a LS after you put the machine into 4x4 but I don't know how that is possible.

A vendor on here 501parts.com sells a grabber kit to put into the front end. This will give you a locking diff in the front.

Registered
The rear end in these (and almost all other) ATV's is not a differential at all, it's a "spool". The spool does not allow any slip between the two rear wheels, which is why they're jumpy when turning on dry pavement. The front end is a conventional open differential. If you've got the SE with the locking front diff, it's still a conventional open differential until you lock it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked OEM parts on line and it is telling me that 2017 700 Kodiak base model actually comes with limited slip front differential. Dealer was right, obviously problem with mine.Is it right to assume Atv should limit torque to spinning wheel and transfer torque to wheel that is not spinning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts