Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Read Only
2 Posts
Yes, we already covered this, 54" is the minimum width plow needed to clear snow from the wheel track when fully angled. 60" is about the maximum width you would want when pushing wet heavy snow.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
You also need to look at the plowing after the first pass through a area you are usually overlapping the previous pass, at least I know that I do.

·
Registered
711 Posts
In your case, i wouldn't even remove the hawse, it's ideal for a strap. Straps are fabric as don't cut into the surface like steel cable so there isn't really any advantage to using a fairlead, not that it hurts obviously, just one less thing to swap out is my thinking. Also, not sure if it's happened to you, but no frozen up slush covered rollers to deal with. Lol

Yeah, probably just a bit of OCD causing me to switch fairleads but I just do it because I know how synthetic rope can fray on a big enough scratch in the Hawse. As far as slush goes, we've had an incredible winter. Only had plowable accumulations twice and no, I'm not complaining lol.

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700-EPS, EHS tuner, airbox & lid, HMF Titan (Quiet) exhaust, Warn 2500 winch & 52" plow.
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yeah, it's certainly been cold enough at times, 22-below on a couple of occasions, but you're right, it's been a ridiculously mild winter in terms of actual snowfall. And in my experience, that just means that she'll come with guns-a-blazin' next winter.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
It's been Wierd here in northern Ontario, nowhere near as much snow as usual, only 3 or 4 really cold days yet out in the woods, all the bees nests were high up in the trees, a sign of heavy snow.
We are in a false spring right now, +7c, a even rain. Skier all winter has been - 23c or warmer.

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700-EPS, EHS tuner, airbox & lid, HMF Titan (Quiet) exhaust, Warn 2500 winch & 52" plow.
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
One last question occurs to me about this strap business . . . when it comes time to rig it, what length of strap should I look to spool onto the winch? Unlike cable or rope, it probably doesn't self-align too well, so should I keep it down to a bare minimum, like 5-6 feet? Or should I look to do 10+? I imagine you'd want at least 2-3 wraps minimum, or you'd risk having the thing come undone, right?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I used an old cheap ratchet strap,you dont have to worry about it spooling up perfectly. I used probably 4or5 ft of it. It will stay on because your only using maybe 8or 9 inches,lowering and raising the plow..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I used an old cheap ratchet strap,you dont have to worry about it spooling up perfectly. I used probably 4or5 ft of it. It will stay on because your only using maybe 8or 9 inches,lowering and raising the plow..
I'm just wondering if I can use a full 20-foot boat winch strap, without having to cut it? I've already got one here that's good and strong, and not having to cut it, would save it for future use elsewhere. I've gotta imagine that it'll easily fit on the spool of this VRX-25, since a standard boat trailer winch isn't but maybe 4-5" in diameter.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Yea I think 20ft is about 15ft too long. No cheap ratchet strap? You can get them at any parts store,Department stores. They usually come in a 4 pack,then you have the straps to hold down the Kodiak on the trailer or back off your truck..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yeah, actually, I do have such a set here, but they're an awful lot thinner and lighter weight? And just FIVE feet? That's it? Doesn't sound like it leaves much strap on the spool? But then, what do I know!!! ;);) :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
You actually only use, say less than 1ft that's it 3or4ft on the spool is enough..

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Oh yea that's what I use,those cheap straps..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
O.K., cool! I guess I'll get a better feel for the length needed when I actually get around to mounting it. I'm holding off for now, since I'm told that the plow mount needs to be installed first, and it won't be here for another couple of days. Anyway, thanks for your help with it. (y)

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
It's a lot easier when you're looking at it..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Well, I finally got around to mounting this entire Warn (i.e., the VRX-25s winch, winch mount, plow mount, push-tube assembly and plow blade) this past weekend, and frankly, I considered opening an entirely new thread on the subject, but decided instead to just update my experience with it here.

Anyway, I've gotta say, I'm not all that impressed with these various Warn kits, or the overall design of this winch/plow system. Not at all! For starters, the hardware packs for virtually every one of those four components were missing multiple pieces (either bolts, washers or nuts). In some cases (the heavyweight fairlead #69373), they don't provide you with ANY hardware at all!! (I guess you're expected to go buy it yourself?). And then, don't get me started with the instruction sheets provided, because they're hastily written, confusing and completely inaccurate. I'm sure others here will pipe-in saying that they had no trouble with it at all, but by example, they show the Hawse fairlead attaching to the front of the winch mount, using small ROUND Allen screws passing through a much larger (SQUARE!) hole in the front of the winch mount, the latter of which was clearly meant for a carriage bolt. The entire string of materials was just shabbily assembled, amateurish and over-priced in my view.

But worst of all, is what I consider to be the grossly insufficient and exceedingly feeble nature of the anchor points to the frame. Let's face it, when fully assembled and mounted, collectively, this plow blade (70 lbs.), push-tube (44 lbs.), plow mount, winch mount and winch body all weigh well over 125 pounds, and yet, the weight of that entire mass is supported by only TWO, relatively small (3/8" diameter) bolts, attaching ALL of it to the frame at the winch mount plate?? Those two bolts pass through no more than 1/2" of threads each, before striking the frame, and go ahead, color me skeptical, but I find that to be grossly inadequate and somewhat unnerving. In fact, I can envision a number of potential plowing mishaps in which those two small bolts could easily be torn right outta the threaded nuts that are welded into the frame.

Did all of the parts and components match-up and align properly as expected? Yes. Are all of the parts themselves solid and well-made? Yes. Was the overall installation of the four components difficult. No. I haven't yet wired the winch, relay and rocker switch, because I've gotta go buy some necessary hardware that should have been provided by Warn, and who knows? Those two or three final steps could present some challenges for me (we'll see), but to be perfectly clear, I'm not disappointed with the quality of the system components, just the weak and arguably insufficient anchoring of the system to the Kodiak frame.

But then, that's just me! That's like, nothing more than my opinion man! And as-is often the case, your mileage may vary. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
I have installed a dozen or so winches and plows onto ATV's and they all have their issues Warn included.

And yes, their instructions stink. I know a couple of 10 year olds that could put together a better set of instruction than they do.

As for the mounting hardware and parts, they are only going to supply the bare minimum as far as strength and support is concerned. It is the penny pinchers that do this and it isn't just Warn. If you can save a couple of bucks on a install kit over time that couple of bucks will turn into thousands.

On the flare head, I don't think that I have ever seen one come with the mounting bolts. They expect you to use the exsisting ones that came with the original one. Sometimes they are long enough, and sometimes they aren't. I ran into a big problem with the winch switch that is mounted to the rear brake lever on the handle bar. It was just barely long enough to catch some threads. This was quickly solved by a trip to the hardware store for a longer bolt. Could they of supplied a longer bolt in the kit, yes they could of but that thirty cents adds up over time.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I have installed a dozen or so winches and plows onto ATV's and they all have their issues Warn included.

And yes, their instructions stink. I know a couple of 10 year olds that could put together a better set of instruction than they do.

As for the mounting hardware and parts, they are only going to supply the bare minimum as far as strength and support is concerned. It is the penny pinchers that do this and it isn't just Warn. If you can save a couple of bucks on a install kit over time that couple of bucks will turn into thousands.

On the flare head, I don't think that I have ever seen one come with the mounting bolts. They expect you to use the exsisting ones that came with the original one. Sometimes they are long enough, and sometimes they aren't. I ran into a big problem with the winch switch that is mounted to the rear brake lever on the handle bar. It was just barely long enough to catch some threads. This was quickly solved by a trip to the hardware store for a longer bolt. Could they of supplied a longer bolt in the kit, yes they could of but that thirty cents adds up over time.
Yeah, I totally get it. Penny-pinchers. Those are people that I like to call "vision-less", because saving that 30-cents just might cost them hundreds, even thousands, down the road a-piece. But alas, it's the world we now live in. I remember when we were throwing 10,000 Warn winches on the front bumpers of Ford Broncos and F-head Jeeps back in the late 60s. They were worth something then, but as they say, "that was then and this is now."

My bigger concern is the truly the two small support bolts. That's got me in a real tizzy. I wonder if all ATV plow systems (not just Warn), or all brands of ATV, are attached so insufficiently? In fairness to Warn, I suppose it comes down to the design of the Kodiak frame and it's limitations, rather the plow apparatus or it's mounts. What are your thoughts? With your experience mounting such things, do you have any views on that?

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
I believe that the bolts are 8mm bolts and a single one will hold 1000 lbs+, so add what are used for the mounts you will have plenty of capacity. I have also never seen a winch pulled off of its mount. I've seen twisted frames but the winch was still in place.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 102 Posts