Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700-EPS, EHS tuner, airbox & lid, HMF Titan (Quiet) exhaust, Warn 2500 winch & 52" plow.
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, All!

I've got a new (2021) Kodiak 700, and I'm looking to setup a snow plow on it later this summer, so I'm hoping to get some helpful feedback from those Kodiak owners here, who routinely plow some snow with their yaks.

My new 700 EPS is roughly 48" wide, and it fits nicely into a 5'x8' trailer, but the retailers are all pushing plow blades that are 52-56" in width. My question is why? Why wouldn't a 48" wide blade be perfect for such an application?

I understand that a wider blade (a wider swath), removes more snow. Sure, I get that. But we're talking a matter of mere inches here, right! And not only does a wider blade restrict loading into many utility trailers, I'm assuming that it also restricts its easy use for snow removal from standard, narrow sidewalks. So why would I want a super-wide (54-56") blade?

Breaker-breaker! Anybody there? Come-back buddy! ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
If you are just pushing snow in a straight line a 48" blade may be fine, but you have to figure in snow that falls off to the side of the blade.

I have a 54" blade on mine. I can angle it and still plow a good path through snow without too much loss in width of the path.. When plowing on sidewalks I'll angle the blade to either kick the snow off into the street, or onto the property that I am plowing at and even then I usually have to make two passes to clear a 48" sidewalk. One pass will do if it is still snowing.

The only place that a 54" blade might give you a little bit of a problem is if you load it up into the back of a pickup that only has 48" between wheel wells. But with my front mount on my plow I can raise the blade high enough that it will clear the wheel wells. A trailer shouldn't be much of a concern unless it is just a 48" trailer.

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700-EPS, EHS tuner, airbox & lid, HMF Titan (Quiet) exhaust, Warn 2500 winch & 52" plow.
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are just pushing snow in a straight line a 48" blade may be fine, but you have to figure in snow that falls off to the side of the blade.

I have a 54" blade on mine. I can angle it and still plow a good path through snow without too much loss in width of the path.. When plowing on sidewalks I'll angle the blade to either kick the snow off into the street, or onto the property that I am plowing at and even then I usually have to make two passes to clear a 48" sidewalk. One pass will do if it is still snowing.

The only place that a 54" blade might give you a little bit of a problem is if you load it up into the back of a pickup that only has 48" between wheel wells. But with my front mount on my plow I can raise the blade high enough that it will clear the wheel wells. A trailer shouldn't be much of a concern unless it is just a 48" trailer.
Thanks Jim, and yeah, "standard" sidewalk width is the real question. Our typical sidewalks here aren't nearly as wide as 48". We don't have that many sidewalks to begin with, and I'll have to take some actual measurements to be certain, but I doubt they're even 40" wide on average.

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
One spot that I am lucky on with the sidewalks is that there is no strip of grass between them and the roadway. But as I mentioned if you angle the blade then you are not plowing the full length of the blade.

·
Registered
711 Posts
54" is the perfect width for these machines. When you angle the blade it is only slightly wider than the Kodiak. I was going to go 60" originally but I am glad I didn't.

·
Grizzled Mod
255 Posts
Previous setup was a 52" mid-mount plow as there were a few of things I didn't care for. First, I was always removing the mid-mount to be able to go out trail riding during plow season. The tabs that hang down had the potential for getting hung up on rocks or downed trees. Second, mid-mounts do not raise as high as front mounts making snow ramps harder to create. Third, the plow blade just wasn't as big as I preferred when the blade was angled but more importantly, I wanted a blade that had greater height for less spill-over the top. BTW, I have no sidewalks.

Sold that plow setup and bought a 60" CycleCountry Poly blade front mount (no longer sold). Front mount took a little bit of modification to make it work but I no longer need to remove it for trail riding. The blade does indeed raise much higher. The 60" poly blade I purchased is at least 8" higher which is very nice when compared to the old blade. I have the skids removed and also use a UHMW 3/4" thick plastic cutting edge. I've found that the UHMW cutting edge def outlasts a metal cutting edge, is much quieter and does an equally good job at scraping off the snow. BTW, for those concerned about a poly blade, I've had 0 issues with it and it still looks fairly new. The blade will not rust and shows no signs up cracking or giving up. It is double-walled and really well made. It is still heavy enough to do a great job at scraping off snow.

The bad from my current setup is that it takes much more work to use this setup in the same conditions that it took with the previous 52" mid-mount setup. Well, duh as that should be expected. What I didn't expect is the quicker action and heavier weight lifting the blade because of the shorter front mount push tubes. I had to rig a roller (boat trailer keel roller) that hangs from my front bumper and I use 1/2 a tow strap because I kept breaking a specific synthetic plow rope. The setup actually works quite good and I'm still on the first 1/2 of tow strap for roughly 5 years now. Per the other part of the work piece, I do need to have 4WD on as I can't get good traction in 2WD where before I could plow in 2WD. I have never had to use diff-lock. If I do get 16"+, I usually do 1/2 passes to clear a lot of snow. I do not use chains or have studded tires when plowing.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
For a 700 kodiak

Blade width

you need a 54" minimum to clear path outside of your wheeltrack when angled. 56"will be a bit better as you will have almost zero snow fall back in your wheel track. A 60" is ideal, great great clearing when angled and just abiut the maximum you want to push effectively with straight blade, any wider and its just too much with wet heavy snow.

Mounts

Center mounts pros:
are cheaper, stronger and distribute weight more even to the bike.

Cons: mount tabs can hang up on objects when not plowing, less down force, slower more difficult hook up to bike

Front mounts pros:
lift over twice as high, provide more downforce, no clearance issues when not plowing, fast simple hook up to bike

Cons: are more expensive, extra stress on frame

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
Strap is the way to go when plowing with our Yamahas. I use a 2" x10 ft length of boat winch strap. Comes in 20ft length. I cut it in two for a spare. I broke steel and synthetic repeatedly before switching.

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
I've been running the steel winch wire for 4 years of plowing now and when I inspect the cable I haven't seen any fraying yet.

But then I also put the forward mounted pulley on the plow where the angle isn't as great as it is on the one towards the rear. But then on my old Kodiak with the mid mount plow I only snapped one winch cable in 10 years of plowing. I just weaved a new eye into it and it was fine when I sold the Kodiak.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! Thanks to all for some fantastic feedback. This is all very helpful.

Let me start by clarifying that I would not consider anything but a front mount plow system, so at least that particular question is resolved, and I'll likely get the Warn VRX-25S (synthetic), rather than the steel cable version. I have to imagine the winch motor itself is the same, whether it ships with steel or synthetic rope. However, this business about using "strap" instead of rope or cable, is news to me, and at least initially, it makes perfect sense. I imagine the spool capacity of strap is way-way less than cable or rope, but I'm sure it's way stronger, and more importantly, I won't be doing any mudding, or have much future need to winch to trees or other distant objects. So strap might just be the way to go for me?

Now, regarding poly vs. steel blades, and overall blade width: The consensus here is clearly for the wider variety of blades (56"-60"), so here again, that is extremely valuable, experienced advice, so I will take that to the bank and stay at or above 56". But the poly thing is also something I hadn't considered until now. We live on the edge of town, in a fair sized lot, with concrete drive and sidewalks, but we do have neighbors within ear-shot, so a quieter blade wouldn't be a bad thing at all, especially if they don't rust, are as strong as steel, and last nearly as long. It's all good 'food for thought.'

Thanks again to all for some truly helpful feedback. (y)

·
Grizzled Mod
255 Posts
A poly blade itself won't rust but there are steel support members along with steel angle pieces and steel push tubes. All the steel has been powder coated but so far it has held up very well. It is also not the poly blade that is quieter, quieter is because of the wear bar I use a plastic (UHMW) cutting/wear bar and not steel. You could put a plastic wear bar on a steel blade and accomplish the same quietness. Also, the plow strap goes on the winch in place of my synthetic rope during plow season. Once the snow stops flying, I remove the plow strap and re-spool my synthetic rope back on. I purchased a 5K lbs tow strap that has "fenced" hooks for ~ $20 at the local tractor/feed supply. I cut the tow strap in two, created a small 1/2" x 4" tag at the cut end and then used heat to keep the nylon cut ends from unraveling. That tag gets fed into the winch spool, folded over on the opposite side and then the rest of the strap reeled on. Holds without any issues as you only use about 2 feet of the strap's end with the hook, the rest stays on the winch spool.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A poly blade itself won't rust but there are steel support members along with steel angle pieces and steel push tubes. All the steel has been powder coated but so far it has held up very well. It is also not the poly blade that is quieter, quieter is because of the wear bar I use a plastic (UHMW) cutting/wear bar and not steel. You could put a plastic wear bar on a steel blade and accomplish the same quietness. Also, the plow strap goes on the winch in place of my synthetic rope during plow season. Once the snow stops flying, I remove the plow strap and re-spool my synthetic rope back on. I purchased a 5K lbs tow strap that has "fenced" hooks for ~ $20 at the local tractor/feed supply. I cut the tow strap in two, created a small 1/2" x 4" tag at the cut end and then used heat to keep the nylon cut ends from unraveling. That tag gets fed into the winch, folded over on the opposite side and then the rest of the strap reeled on. Holds without any issues as you only use about 2 feet of the strap's end with the hook, the rest stays on the winch spool.
Thanks, Rocket, and yeah, aspects of the poly blade definitely appeal to me, but for some reason(s), you don't see a lot of them in these parts, mostly steel, and that could easily be because of compatibility issues. Most all ATV's here have WARN winches, and I'm not sure whether WARN even makes poly blades (?), so the plow mounting assemblies get rather complicated when you have a WARN brand winch with an off-brand blade. In addition, two of the guys that I know here, who have poly blades, complain that they're a bit too lightweight at times, which gives them trouble when trying to plow surfaces (driveways, etc.), where the snow has already been driven-over several times by family cars and trucks. In other words, if they don't plow first thing after a snowfall, and the snow gets packed down by other vehicles before they can get to it, the poly blades just ride up and over the packed snow/ice.

And as far as straps go, WARN's own snow plow strap gets absolutely terrible reviews! They're apparently breaking on folks left and right. So I dunno? With a synthetic rope-equipped winch, I think I might just be better off with a 2-line front mount pulley arrangement, where you use the standard synthetic rope over a beefed-up roller fairlead (larger diameter bottom roller), and the pulley attaches via strapping to the front rack, equally distributing the weight between the rope and the rack. I'm still undecided, but you can get a rough idea of what I'm talking about from this short YouTube video . . .

·
Grizzled Mod
255 Posts
I don't think poly blades are too popular and think it is because many believe they will quickly fall apart. I decided to take a chance and it has worked out well for me so far. As previously mentioned, there are no signs of it falling apart. I believe Kolpin makes a poly blade but theirs looks very different. Mine is double-walled where the Kolpin doesn't look double-walled but I don't know for sure.

My winch is a Warn pro-vantage 2500 Yamaha version winch. I also have the Warn winch plate and then the winch plate gets partially bolted to the CycleCountry front mount. That all should have fit OEM but I also have the 2007-2015 Yamaha Grizzly 700 HD bumper on mine instead of the OEM front bumper. The Yamaha HD bumper required me to slightly modify the CC plow front mount by grinding in a groove on each side where the HD bumper lower mounts are. But it is all in place and very solid although I do not go and full speed ram into things with my plow... I don't think that is a good thing to do for any ATV plow setup.

I would have to believe the Poly plow is lighter that an equivalent 60" steel blade. Main reason I went with the 60 poly blade from CC is for the blade height. It seemed to be taller than most 60" blades I was shopping. BTW, the UHMW wear bar I use is actually a Warn product and I just redrill new mounting holes in it to fit my blade. Yes, I won't say this combo has the weight to break-up ice from vehicles driving over the snow. I have a fairly steep, but short, section on my driveway that gets mostly shade and is something we have to walk down so I am vigilant about plowing before it is driven on. I don't always get to it first but can say it probably never gets more than an inch buildup of compacted snow/ice. I get what I can right away and then the lack of humidity here seems to dry it up relatively quick. I used to have a very high quality snow thrower and I really don't see a big difference between the two as far as quality of snow removal. However, the ATV is substantially quicker and way more fun!

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my ProVantage front mount plow.

Straight blade

Angled Left

Angled Right

Winch cable out of the winch over the flare head pulley. I did purchase a differnt plow roller flare head Warn 69373. It has a larger bottom pulley

Plow mounted pulley, the factory one would mount directly below the front of the winch and would make the angle down to it and back up a lot sharper on both where it comes out of the winch flare head and where it would go back up to the anchor point.

This pulley is a Warn 84526 ProVantage ATV Plow Pulley

Anchor point, this is a strap that Warn supplies with the plow mount.

On my old 2000 Kodiak that had the mid mount plow I found that most of the wear on the cable was where it came over the flare head pulley and then straight down to a pulley where it would do a 360 degree turn and go back up to the anchor point. These two sharp corners would really wear on the steel cable to where it would fray and break. When the cable broke on me it was on the winch mounted flare pulley. I also had a lot of wear on that pulley to the point that the cable was cutting into it. So far I haven't seen that problem on the front mount plow and the way I have the winch line ran.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jim,

I've got that same #84526 ATV plow pulley sittin' right here in the garage, and I believe it's meant for synthetic rope use (not sure?), but you appear to be running steel cable on yours? Have I got that right? I've got my winch and mount (both Warn), here and ready to go, but I won't have the plow mount, push tube assembly or 54" blade for another week or more. And frankly, it's awfully hard to envision these things when you don't have all of the parts right in front of you, but I think I'd better hold-off on mounting the winch, until the entire plow assembly is installed, because I'm hearing that I might have to remove the whole winch and winch mount again, just to get it all put in properly.

And by-the-way, the arrangement that you have, with the so-called 2-line pulley support configuration, is essentially where I think I'll be heading. So many thanks to you and RedRocket both for your feedback on this!

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
The plow mount goes under the winch mount if I remember correctly and I had to notch the plow mount to get the bumper reattached.

On the cable I'm still running the steel cable with no problems. But as I showed in my pictures I added a different flair head and a different pulley down on the plow which is near the blade. The one that came with the plow mounted on the plow straight down from the winch.

With the pulley near the blade the angle is reduced which helps out the life of the winch cable.

I have ran it this way for 4 winters now

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The plow mount goes under the winch mount if I remember correctly and I had to notch the plow mount to get the bumper reattached.

On the cable I'm still running the steel cable with no problems. But as I showed in my pictures I added a different flair head and a different pulley down on the plow which is near the blade. The one that came with the plow mounted on the plow straight down from the winch.

With the pulley near the blade the angle is reduced which helps out the life of the winch cable.

I have ran it this way for 4 winters now

Righto! I follow you just fine on the beefed-up roller fairlead (#69373). Got one of those sittin' here too (!), because my winch (which was originally my eldest son's), has the Hawse fairlead (designed for synthetic rope), which needed to be replaced, and I follow you on the #84526 pulley as well. What I still don't quite understand, is what the differences are between this #84526 pulley (that we both have), and the #81630 snow plow pulley assembly, that is presently backordered and featured in the YouTube video that I posted earlier? That's what I have to figure out. Looks to me like the 84526 bolts down to the mount somehow. Whereas the other is movable or adjustable into three or more different configurations, depending on rope angle?

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
The difference is going to be the angle that you can get as far as where they mount.

The 84526 mounts near the lever that you angle the plow blade with and if you look at my pictures you can see that there are no 360 degree angles involved where if you use the one that they are showing in the video you have one 90 degree angle from the winch and then a 360 degree angle where it goes up to the attachment point on the front rack.

As for adjustments, once you decided on how you want it there are no more adjusting. I just like the one mounted closer to the blade and as I mentioned I haven't seen any wear on the cable yet.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very good! I've already got the 84526, and the 81630 (which I have on order), is rather cheap, so I'll have both available here, when installation time comes around, but I think I see what you're saying. The gentleman who actually posted that YouTube video told me that the Kodiak is one of the worst (if not there worst), for snow plow assemblies, in terms of it's severe angles. I guess I'll see for myself once all of the stuff is actually sittin' here in front of me.

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
You can see the angles that are on my Kodiak and I am quite happy with them and with using the forward mounted pulley you eliminate the worst angle.

When I watched the video I kept expecting for him to use the one that I did but he didn't

1 - 20 of 102 Posts