Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to change halogen bulbs too LED bulbs in my 2018 kodiak, I can find led for every other model of yamahas or older kodiaks . has any one done this conversion and if so what led bulb # did you use.
New to the group, I apologize if there has been a discussion on this topic before.

·
Registered
627 Posts
There really are no quality LED replacements (h6m) for the Oei bulbs but another consideration is the fact that the lights are reflector style and not designed for led. You end up with a flood effect rather than a beam. This is why light bars are such a popular add on.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
There really are no quality LED replacements (h6m) for the Oei bulbs but another consideration is the fact that the lights are reflector style and not designed for led. You end up with a flood effect rather than a beam. This is why light bars are such a popular add on.
You need to get caught up on led light technology. Many LEDs are now designed with the chips placed exactly where the filament on the halogen bulb it's replacing, giving the led the same, but brighter beam pattern.

But other than that, I have done tons of searching, and there are zero (that I can find) led replacements for the h6m. I mean there are tons on amazon and fleabay, but they are the super cheap ones that just make the lights on the bike look white, but don't offer much light projected or in front of you.

I ended up going with a set HID h6m for motorcycles, they work, still not 100% ideal, but atleast I do have hi/low with them still.

90% of the time, I drive with only my 2 little tiny ridgid ignite pods, they are brighter than my HIDs

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
627 Posts
Regardless of bulb availability, the reflector housings on the Kodiak are not designed for led conversion. Yes fleabay is full of cheap LED bulbs but they are just that....."cheap". A quality automotive bulb is not cheap by any means. As for the h6m, I gave up long ago looking for an led alternative and installed a 7" light bar. Hardly use my headlights anymore. I've got cheap flashlights that produce better light. I understand some have converted their Yamahas to h4 bulbs and changed their plug ins to accommodate. But, I just can't bring myself to hack up the wiring.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
The h13 led bulbs from my last truck work beautifully in the kodiak, perfect light output on low with no glare standing 25-30 ft away, high beam was amazing. Only issue is fitment, and as mentioned, need to write in a new harness. I used some plumbers puddy to temporarily hold them in for the test fit, but didn't really see a way to permanently fabricate a mounting solution. I tried going the h4 route, but they don't really fit the kodiak housing, it's a simple mod for the pre 16 grizzly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the response
I will now consider other options (light bar) as
I don't want to do all the extra rewiring and such

thanks again
Climbingjman05

·
Registered
57 Posts
Unfortunately I've done A LOT of looking around and haven't found an LED H6M that puts LED's right where the filaments would be, and 95% of them are COB based which basically makes them a giant flood light. A small 18watt 6 led bar throws more light than all 3 halogens combined as long as it's a decent bar.

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Check this out on Amazon: FANLESS VERY BRIGHT YAMAHA GRIZZLY 550 700 HEADLIGHT LED LIGHT BULBS 20000LM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M65T3HL/?coliid=IYZ8278LCEWBH&colid=3SGBC4E01OWOL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I have not bought them but considering it. And they should fit with the extended connector.
2 things, those bulbs won't fit the kodiak without modification of how they mount, and they won't fit you wiring with out cutting. The kodiak has different lighting from any current or previous grizzly.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Really? I did not know that. I would have guessed they used the same lights, they look the same. Good to know, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
The newer Griz has led from factory, I looked in to swapping a set Intl my 18 kodiak, no go, the whole mounting system is different age would require a good amount of custom fabrication to make it fit. About the only thing they have in common is they are almost the same size circle.
Then I noticed many with older grizzlys would swap in an h4 led bulb, again, totally different wire connection on the new bike.. Closest thing to our Kodiak bulb base is a motorcycle H6M bulb, but it need a bit of modification to make it fit just right.
I did a set of H6M HIDs in mine, but after trying to make a non-invasive wire connection, I give up, hacked the ends off the kodiak and soldered on the hid ballast wire harness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts