Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. I own two Honda Ranchers which I'm selling to a friend. Getting too old to manually shift gears and muscle a non power steering ATV. I plan on buying a 2019 Kodiak 700 EPS SE. One question, why does Yamaha (canada) advertise a lever actuated 4WD system yet when I look up pics on the net I'm not seeing the 4WD lever on that particular model. So does the US get the electronic shift and Canada gets the lever?? Or did Yamaha change something mid stream and not edit their web page to reflect the changes?

Any opinions would be great.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The base model is lever shifted. The eps and eps se are electric and include diff lock. At least the 2020 models do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The base model is lever shifted. The eps and eps se are electric and include diff lock. At least the 2020 models do.
Ok. Thanks. I'm going to look at one tomorrow. Dealer advertising $1,000 off msrp. I'll believe it when I see AND hear it from the sales guy..or gal.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Good to hear from you. Yes, unless there is something I am not aware of, your new one will have a power button, so it is easy to do. The lever was OK also, and in the long run might have been more reliable, but they are not troublesome. Honda makes some you don't need to shift, but my choice is the Yamaha also. Sounds like you are looking at a good price, let us know what that is if you get a chance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wish my ESP SE had a lever instead of push button, simpler and ALWAYS works. Not that I've had issue with the Kodiak electric 4x4 but I have on previous "other brand" machines. The lever on the Base Kodiak is on the handlebars, left hand side. I still have a pair of Rancher 420s and I love the BIG simple 4x4 shift on fly lever...... Although, after riding my Kodiak a lot, I tend to try putting the Rancher 420 in Drive with the 4x4 lever LoL!

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I had the electrical 4x4 switch on my old 2000 Kodiak and with over 16 years of use I had zero problems with it. I did have the switch freeze up after I left it out during a rain and it froze, but I froze in the 4x4 position.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530 Posts
With ESP & ESP SE models you get a lot more features also along with the electric 4X4 switch ... as mentioned, the Diff-lock but also 3rd headlight and digital speedometer control center which is real nice. And of course power steering which you wont want to live without once you have had it. And why you are getting rid of the Honda.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have two manual shift Ranchers without power steering and it's become a pain. One dealer here in Toronto is selling one new for $10,895. The EPS SE.

With ESP & ESP SE models you get a lot more features also along with the electric 4X4 switch ... as mentioned, the Diff-lock but also 3rd headlight and digital speedometer control center which is real nice. And of course power steering which you wont want to live without once you have had it. And why you are getting rid of the Honda.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you buy it send pictures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll add my first post here as well since I fit this topic.

Have a 1987 Honda Foretrax and its finally time to upgrade. Dealer near me has the 2019 base 700 model for $5,800. Anyone have any negotiating tips or is that already a pretty good deal?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HA HA HA! So I went to the dealer with a screen grab of their deal on my phone. Guess what happened next?

·
Registered
530 Posts
They had a bunch of hidden costs to add on to the price?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They had a bunch of hidden costs to add on to the price?
Close. They did the old 'bait and switch' Didn't have the model they claimed was in Stock but had a higher priced Grizzly. He tells me he can get the kodiak but the price will be higher as well. Oh well, trying another dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is what is called hijacking a thread, but someone else might weight in on that. That price is a good price, and just be sure that it has not been demonstrated a bunch, it is likely new, they close them out this time of year. If you want to negotiate a bit, see if you can get them to add to the warranty, or a winch, or a case of beer!

Hang on to that Fourtrax for a back up, they are great machines.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have two manual shift Ranchers without power steering and it's become a pain. One dealer here in Toronto is selling one new for $10,895. The EPS SE.

Not sure what the conversion rate is currently but around me "leftover" 19' EPS SE's are going for 8,300-8,700$ US. I've seen 8,000 but it's one of those "shady"dealers that will slap on freight/setup fees to that "Advertised" price.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'll add my first post here as well since I fit this topic.

Have a 1987 Honda Foretrax and its finally time to upgrade. Dealer near me has the 2019 base 700 model for $5,800. Anyone have any negotiating tips or is that already a pretty good deal?
The base models I have seen at dealers are usually right around $6000 and with the 2020's arriving they are discounting the 2019's a little. So it's a decent deal for the base model.

·
Registered
530 Posts
What rear rack do you have your ATV KodiakAfishyo? Looks great.
Boy I may not be much help. I bought it from Cabela's about 8 years ago for my old Yamaha 350 Bruin and always liked it so I took it off the Bruin before I sold it to put on the Kodiak. Cabela's is about all I remember, not sure if it was their brand or something else. I would check their website (and/or Bass Pro) to see if they still carry them. If they don't I'm sure you could find something similar on Amazon.

·
Registered
280 Posts
When I was shopping for mine I got a good sense for a price range from ATV trader. You should be able to find a decent price on a 2019 model.
There is a big difference between the base model and the EPS model and it was worth the extra money to me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just made the purchase on a 2019 Kodiak 700 EPS Blue from a different dealer, one who has a better reputation and who I've dealt with in the past. Only problem is he didn't have one in stock so he said next week he'll be fishing for one but said it shouldn't be a problem. I guess the 2019's are on their way out and being replaced by the 2020's. Maybe I'll he won't find one and give me a 2020 model.

So they included the 3000lb Warn winch. I went with the non SE version. Couldn't justify the added expense of aluminum wheels...which will be caked with dirt anyway. So MRSP was $10,699. Canadian. He knocked it down to $10,095. What kills us here in Canada is the sales tax...$1,400 in sales tax. Hopefully I'll have it next weekend to take to the cottage.

I was reading about changing out the clutch weights to the Grizzly weights. Good idea or not?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts