Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I didn't want to steal another thread so I figured I would be better to start anther thread to show what I am currently fighting with. I want to blame the Stealership that sold me the plow and set up but I also check it out when I bought it and didn't say anything then.

So I have a 2018 700, Upgraded front brush guard, Warn Winch, and had to take the cable off and put a Moose Plow Strap on due to snapping Cables like nothing. I will attach a few pics to show that the angle is horrible and straight down. I cant see how that is by design. When you go onto Kolpins sight they show out in a 45 degree angle. So it makes me wonder where the problem is.

Plow is the Kolpin High rise. The way they design it makes it hard to add a pulley forward or the hook more forward to add a better angle.

Has anybody else had this set up and how did they fix this Issue?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
I would give Kopland or your dealer a call to find out.

Most center mount plow mounts have you go from the winch down to the mount and then back up to a attachment on the front of the machine and not just directly down to the plow mount. At least that is what my old Warn did.

Even on my Warn front mount plow the cable goes from the winch to a pulley mounted on the plow mount and then up to a spot above the winch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I have taken it back to the dealership and have paid money to have my winch fixed, and then new cable, then they put on the strap, don't worry I have pointed out this design and they say its not their fault or design, and no results.
I agree Nomad I hate the design if this is it, but if you look at the videos plans on koplins page they don't turn out like mine. So it has me thinking the dealership did something wrong.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Even looking at Koplin's web site all I see is a line directly from the winch to the plow. Even looking at the pictures on their site with a plow with the power angle or whatever it is called shows the winch attaching at the point that you have yours attached.

I would call Koplin on Monday and talk to their tech support. It looks like it is a very poor design and they may be able to help. Even offer to send them your pictures of how you have the winch line connected to it.

The only way that I can see that you might be able to get a higher lift is to remove the hook on the line and or whatever else is on the line and then attach the line directly to the lift point.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Looking at the video below I think that your big problem is the Moose plow strap. The video shows a round narrower nylon cable.

You can jump to the 5 minute mark to start.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a little research I have figured out that Kolpin is owned by Polaris, That might explain why it doesn't work right.

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is an unfortunate deal, but my approach would be to build a support from the cargo rack, maybe with an extension and add a pulley or roller there that can handle that strap. I also think that that could lead to a better system than most.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
If you look at the video that I posted you will see that all the synthetic winch line has attached to it is the hook. Then if you look at the OP's picture of the Moose plow strap you will see that it looks like there are a couple of things attached to the end of the strap itself that are keeping the line from spooling onto the winch all the way that he needs it to in order to lift the plow as high as it is suppose to.

I do agree that it looks like a bad design. I have owned two Warn ATV plows and both of them use a pulley attached to the plow mount to allow the winch hook to attach higher than the winch itself. This also gives a slight mechanical advantage as the line passes through the pulley.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Since you have a Warn winch do you have the roller Fairlead that is designed specifically for plows? It has a bottom roller that is 2 to 3 times the diameter of the top roller to change the angle of the winch rope or strap for a more gradual turn down to the push tubes. If not you should change to this one.

·
Registered
528 Posts
They do not come with this fairlead, I first saw it when I noticed all the dealers around here install them on everything.

Attachments

Reactions: JimP

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
I think that the big problem is how Moose attaches the hook to the winch line. If the OP could remove the hook and attach the winch line to the plow mount minus the hook and perhaps the other piece of metal I think that it would work.

He just needs a caribeaner or cleavis to go through the loop on the winch line and then to attach to the plow mount.

The larger roller on the flair head will also help. Just as a fyi they are available on Amazon

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So that large piece of metal on the Moose strap came that way, also no I do not have the larger roller that you mention and I will be getting it now. I agree with removing the hook and I will be grinding down the edges to make it a little more narrow. I have emails out to kolpin to see what they offer as well. I have thought about going to a synthetic rope with a link. That would allow it to pull all the way up to the winch .

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
I believe that you are on the right track.

Just a question for you. Is there enough room on the loop of the blue line that you could get something like this through it?

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/hardware/chain-and-rope/clevises/52599

If you think that you might be able to I'd go down to your local hardware store or someplace that has a good assortment of farm supplies and look around and see if you can find something similar. That way you could hook the loop through the plow lift eye and then connect it to the line from the winch. It just might work for you without too much extra cost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I might be able to, I didn't even think of that. Thank you for the ideas, I'm going out to the shop now to see what I can fit in there and me and the family are going into town today so I can pick up something that works.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a factory Yamaha front mount plow and I use a boat winch strap on it. They have a hook on them and cost me under 20 bucks. They are 20 ft long. I cut them in two and have a spare. I am on my 3rd season with the first one. No breakages and I do use a roller fairlead with the plow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK a little update on this Problem. After talking to Koplin there is a secondary hookup point. Plus i cut off that large peice of metal and the hook and went with a small 1.5 inch clevis. It works Much better. I will post Pictures soon and right up with all that i changed including how i changed the plow pivot tension.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Sounds like you got it figured out to where it will work for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wanted to finish my solution that has actually made this plow finally worth the money for now. So i did cut the metal buckle off the strap and removed the hook, went with the small clevis one the strap.
Kolpin had me route the strap through the orginal hook point to a secondary hook point under the plow further up the plow.
I can now achieve complete lift. I have included some pictures just incase anybody else runs into the same problem down the road.
If anybody needs more pictures let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
KFI makes a special fairlead that is supposed to help for severe cable angles when plowing. they say it's for steel cables, but some others have used ropes on it with no issues.
I could see using it on your winch with a regular rope or steel cable and attaching a second bracketed pulley to the plow and routing the hook back up to a strap attached to the front rack to slow down the lift and drop speeds.
That would cover both winching issues, but you'd have to loose the strap.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KFI-Winch-ATV-Plow-Fairlead-Pulley-Bracket/254189888581?epid=15033824374&hash=item3b2ee5e445:g:rGcAAOxyhotSL5er

1 - 20 of 20 Posts