Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a new quad soon and have really enjoyed an older Kodiak400 and it has been very reliable over the years, so I was planning on buying a new Kodiak700 due to how reliable and nice the old 400 was.

I use the quad for work tasks and also hauling wood on trailer etc as well as trail riding. I might use it to pull a small boat on a trailer as well.

I now see there are a ton of side by side options. I've seen the wolverine, etc but I really am used to the narrower width of the quad so prefer something under 50" width.

Then I saw there is a Polaris RZR900 with 50" width, which isn't much more than a quad, so I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of it and can speak to the reliablity of a Kodiak700 vs a RZR900. I will also try posting on a Polaris forum but since I'm leaning more towards the Yamaha, I was hoping people here who also have experience with the Polaris can come up with reasons the Kodiak is better or more reliable. I don't have any experience owning a Polaris but from what I've seen they seem to break down more than yamaha and I really need something that isn't constantly breaking down.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Buy the kodiak and live happily ever after.....

·
Registered
575 Posts
I bought a side by side, and in less than two months I sold it. It was to big and awkward for what I do. I am 68 years old, but still will never have one for what I like. I now have my second Kodiak 700 and love the power steering.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had a Polaris once and sold it with less than 700 miles on it bcause I got tired of fixing it and it was a nightmare to work on. I have owned 12 different Yamahas over the years and everyone was very dependable. I dont think you will like the RZR900 for the Utillity work you described.

·
Grizzled Mod
340 Posts
Do yourself a favor and look up recalls for Polaris Rzr and while at it, look up recalls for Yamaha Kodiak and Grizzly as well. Polaris has been plagued with recalls over the last 5 years and I'm willing to bet the Polaris forums will lead you to believe they are just as reliable as the Japanese manufacturers. Ask about Polaris bushings, wheel bearings and CVT belts or look up that info.

The Yamaha 708cc engine (2016-2018) has seen some issues and Yamaha has a Service Bulletin issued for a top end rebuild if one is displaying the symptoms detailed in the Service Bulletin. In 2019, both the Kodiak/Grizzly 700 are outfitted with the dependable 686cc engine, revised but was in service from 2007-2015.

Best to look up the recalls as an impartial source to get the reality and decide for yourself.

Reactions: Vincent
1 - 5 of 5 Posts