Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

Kodiak vs. Grizzly -- What made everyone choose their Kodiak?

77K views 143 replies 50 participants last post by  Vincent 
#1 ·
Fellow Kodiak owners, I'd like to hear your thoughts and reasoning behind choosing the Kodiak over the Grizzly. I am curious as to what swayed your decision, and think this could be a helpful thread for those looking to pull the trigger on either machine.

My reasoning for going with the 2019 EPS SE:

- Coming from older (and smaller quads), the Grizzly just felt unnecessarily cumbersome. At 5'11" and 200 pounds, the Kodiak is plenty comfortable. I can see how the extra seat height and machine length/width of the Grizzly would be preferred by much larger riders however.
- I ride a lot of narrow trails, especially when hunting. The narrower frame and general nimbleness of the Kodiak make a big difference here.
- I don't do a whole lot of deep mudding, where the extra lift and flotation of the larger, non-staggered tires would come in handy.
- It's essentially the same machine & motor for over $1300 less. That savings got me a brand new utility trailer and some new ratchet straps.
- There has been lots of talk about Yamaha updating the Griz with a more powerful engine. If the writing's on the wall, I'd rather have Yamaha's absolute top of the line '2nd tier' quad than one that struggles to compete with the major players in the '1st tier' big bore category. It seems like the Kodiak knows its place and performs exceptionally well within it.

Cheers!

See less See more
Reactions: mdwtdp and Juddc
#67 ·
As Redrocket said you will need to trace out the wires to see what it goes to.

My guess would be either some aftermarket lights or possibly heated grips.

#69 ·
There is nothing really to tell you when to change out the grease in the clutch or the V belt. However if you don't ride through water or submerge the bottom of the machine to where water can get into the clutch housing it should be pretty much good for the life of the machine.

On the belt Yamaha has one of the best out there, you can check it and only need to replace it when it is needed. There is no timeframe.

You can also find a list of what to check and or replace in the owners manual but here is the maintenance scheduled for it from the owners manual.

Attachments

#71 · (Edited)
There is nothing really to tell you when to change out the grease in the clutch or the V belt. However if you don't ride through water or submerge the bottom of the machine to where water can get into the clutch housing it should be pretty much good for the life of the machine.
Depends on the climats you ride in to.

Riding on very dusty roads over long periode of times will cause the grease in the primary to cake up . The end results are weights that no longer move threw their full range of motion in their channels, and an atv that won t go past 30 mph .

Just something to consider

#74 ·
I got the Kodiak because I was comfortable on the machine, loved the way it looks, ride far beyond expectations, narrow trails and long day to over night rides. The bonus since mine is stock for performance parts, it is just as fuel efficient as my 07 Honda Rancher. Servicing it is a breeze and there is nothing that comes close to it for serviceability and performance. It has been up and down the Smokey Mountains and all the way up to the White Mountains of NH.

#83 ·
1mm shim is fine, but 1.5mm is better. That's if a slight top speed loss isn't an issue to you.

Reactions: Barbarossa
#85 ·
You don t need to touch the secondary though many do install a stiffer spring . The Epi purple is the most popular for the 700s.

Reactions: Barbarossa
#89 · (Edited)
Complete myth...

Shims don t damage cvt components.

People who don t follow proper primary sheave installations do

#91 ·
The 2017 kodiaks are the same frame and suspension geometry as 2021s.

#95 ·
Everything about them are the same except its a revised version of the older 686 yamaha engine instead of the 708 Subaru built engine. And they changed the instrument cluster a bit. Long she short arms is between kodiak and grizzly, where the grizzly has longer.
Your track mounts will fit any 700 kodiak from 2016 to current, and also fit a 2009 to 2013 grizzly 550 or 700, as they used the same a arms as the 700 kodiak.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.