Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I am asking a loaded question amongst Kodiak owners, but I am within striking time of pulling the trigger and I have narrowed my choices to one of these two.
Uses: Hunting, very light farm work, easy trail riding with a passenger; I am fair sized at about 250 and my wife is...fluffy :wink2: I narrowed my choices to these two machines for basic reasons.
Ease of operation with the automatic transmission
IRS was very important.
Reliability.

The advantage the Yute has is cost. $6999 vs over $8000.

Give me more pros and cons for each.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in the same boat trying to decide, but today I drove a 16 Rubicon and I think i've decided against the geared transmission. even in automatic it just wasn't smooth or that enjoyable.

Now its just a matter of deciding between Kodiak or Grizzly, (or maybe Kingquad).

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm in the same boat trying to decide, but today I drove a 16 Rubicon and I think i've decided against the geared transmission. even in automatic it just wasn't smooth or that enjoyable.

Now its just a matter of deciding between Kodiak or Grizzly, (or maybe Kingquad).
I had a 2016 Kodiak, my father bought a 2016 Kingquad 750 on the same day. Even though I ended up trading my Kodiak in on a SXS (too painful to ride with my wrist injury) the Kodiak was the better machine. The Kingquad's design is almost 10 years old, and it feels it. Heavy, slow, and cumbersome. Plus, there are many reports of the frames breaking on them. My father's frame didn't break, but the whole front rack carrier/bumper structure bent downward from lifting a snow plow. And for the record, Dad traded his Kingquad in the day before I traded my Kodiak in. He bought a Wildcat, I bought a Maverick. Yes, we have an issue with 1-upping each other.

Reactions: jbalsor

·
Registered
54 Posts
I thought sure I wanted the Honda until I sat on it and really didn't like the floor boards. I'm happy with my Kodiak. If you figure the extra cost over the life of the machine it's really not that big a deal. Go with the power steering on either one, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a long time Honda man. I was going to buy another Rubicon. I wanted an automatic. I just didn't like the auto on the new ruby!
And every generation they make it another inch wider and longer.
I bought a Kodiak se last june. 1200 miles ago.. I love this atv!!! They made it a little more compact. They added a third headlight, super nice instrumentation, locker and low range too.
Honda needs to sharpen their pencils.
This Kodiak is better at everything.

P.S . Just wanted to add that I have bought 5 new Foreman's. and 4 new Yamaha's..
Total atv's owned over the years..20

·
Registered
34 Posts
The only advantage I can say for the Honda is a more comfortable seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I rode a 15" Rubicon yesterday belonging to my cousin. I'm purchasing a Kodiak/Grizzly fairly soon. I didn't like how long it took the rubicon to change gears in auto. I did like its capabilities. Honestly my pick is still Kodiak or grizzly. EPS Kodiak with mud tires, you honestly wouldn't even need diff lock. Plus much better power from the Kodiak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts