Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about a month ago as I was deciding between an Outlander and Kodiak. I have decided to go with the Kodiak but now I need to decide between the Base and EPS. The headlight, digital dash, and hitch receiver are not concerns of mine. I can buy an hour meter after market light and receiver for cheap money. My question comes down to the shocks and EPS. So for those of you with the Base model or have driven both the Base and Eps-

1. Are the preset shocks on the Base model adequate or do you feel that they are to stiff or soft for ordinary trail riding? In addition are they adequate for riding with a passenger?

2. I have never had a quad with EPS. Is it really worth the extra $1,200.00 or does the Kodiak Base steer sufficient and controllable without it?

Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
I have the base model and from the riding that I have done on it I think that the rear shocks are fine . However I have yet to have a passenger on it with me and I will suspect that the adjustable shocks that come on the other models might be worth it, but if I need to I will change them out to some that are a little bit more heavy duty than the stock ones.

As for the EPS, I have never had it so I might not know what I am missing. However in the 30 years that I have been riding a ATV there have only been a couple of times that I thought that power steering might be nice to have and both times have been when I have been in a lot of rocks. Other than that I don't think that you really need it and that extra $1200 can be spent elsewhere on the Kodiak.

Registered
Couple things I would take into consideration would be the size of your tires, if you ever plan on upgrading and the weight of your passenger. The stock shocks work well with a light passenger and small tires are easier to turn with no EPS.

Registered
We bought 2 base models last September. I'm a bit over 280 and the shocks seem good on the trails and I also plow with mine. We don't ride with passengers, so I couldn't advise you on that. I still don't get the push for EPS...my wife and I ride some old windy trails and we don't see a need for power steering. We added hours meters to track maintenance. I'm not interested in how fast we are going so the speedometer is also something that has little value, besides, at full throttle it is plenty fast enough. It boils down to what you want and need. I wanted to pay as little as possible for two ATV's and get the best value available....Kodiak 700 base models met that criteria...for us. Your mileage may vary. :wink2:

Registered
I have a base model and I am about 210 lbs and my wife is in the 150 to 160 range. As far as her on the back no issue with shocks or ride. It doesn't even seam to be light on the front with her on it. The only thing I see sometimes is its a bit soft on the front shocks going into a corner real hard the outside front wants to lay over a bit. That's only when riding very aggressive. Other then that the bike that the bike has very good balance front to back her on it with me. I find it steers very easy even in tight trails. I bought the base simply value for the money and what I wanted and could live without. I was always a honda guy for quads and a ski doo guy for snowmobiles. At 40 years old i seen the light and now it's only yamaha's in my garage from now on.

Registered
I went the cheap route as well, and I plow, double my partner (I'm about 250, he's about 165) and tow a small trailer regularly... PLUS I have 27" tires with a lift kit and wheel spacers. I don't miss EPS. My father's bike (2016 Kingquad EPS) and a co-worker's bike (2016 Arctic Cat TRV700 2-up) both have EPS. I've ridden both, and I don't see enough difference to make the upgrade worth it - in fact if anything I find the EPS bikes to be squirrelly at speed.

As for the adjustable suspension: Like I said, I plow snow, tow a small trailer that often has 300 pounds of apples in it, and have my partner in the passenger seat often and never have an issue. During deer season it's quite common for me to have him AND the trailer AND apples loaded up, plus two rifles and other hunting gear. This was before the lift and big tires (I added them after deer season) and I've never had any issues with the suspension being too soft or low.

Registered
I have the EPS model and I don't regret my purchase one bit. I like the power steering, when I was looking at buying an ATV I was looking hard and long at the camo base model but they didn't have that one in stock so I rode the EPS model and I was sold. I've never changed the adjustable shocks I have them on the middle setting and I weigh 220 and it seems to ride nice with me I don't generally haul passengers but when I do usually they are on the front rack because I have a large box mounted on the back rack. As long as I keep the speed down its fairly safe lol just have to be careful of the engine braking dumping them off the front.

Registered
I bought the SE for the power steering and differential lock.
Me to IMO SE is the only way to go. I'm not getting any younger and had a couple shoulder surgeries EPS is the only way for me. I will not buy anything with diff lock.

Registered
I like EPS when on twisty trails and standing up, throwing my weight around. All my other ATVs had no power steering, I find EPS makes a big difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts