Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a while back about a noise in my 2018 kodiak 700 that has less than 200 miles on it. It was coming from the front of the drive shaft thats between the transmission and the rear differential.I can put it in neutral engine is off then roll it back and forth and put my hand on the drive shaft and feel it as well as hear a loud clicking sound coming from the front of it.I move my hand forward and i feel nothing.I got frustrated with it and took it to the dealership where i bought it to have it inspected.After two weeks of waiting they called me and said it had to be torn down 7 hours plus 7 to put it back together at 115 an hour so 1600 just to tell me what was wrong.I told him exactly where it was coming from and told him to only dig into that area first.I get a call saying they had it torn clear down and the problem is the ring and pinion.He said a spring came off and ran rampant through the entire area and destroyed 1200 worth of parts so my bill to fix a brand new 700 kodiak was going to be $ 3000.I told him i would leave it sitting in a box first as it only cost me 5g brand new.This is ridiculous.Any ideas on this being an attempt to screw me over ? Not sure which way to turn here.Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
I would have to look at the parts cost but it may be close. It does sound like they are jacking you around on the teardown and putting it back together. When I put my locker into the front end it only took me around 6 hours total and the whole front diff needed to come out and then put back in and I took my time.

It's these kind of things that owners hate taking vehicles into dealers for

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Madmax

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
I just looked at a price for the whole complete front axle gear case that come complete with everything in it and their price is close to what I saw. For one with a locking diff in it Partszilla list it for $1137, for one without the locking diff it is $767.

If I was you and if you are competent with a wrench find a way to go pick it up with all the parts that they took off and bring it home. While it looks a little complicated there isn't much to putting it back together as long as you have all the bolts and nuts that they removed.

501 Parts has a video on their site on tearing one down to put in a locking diff gear if you needed any help on what goes where, you also have us on the forum here to talk you through it also.

You can also look to see if you can find a used front diff assembly to put in for a lot less than those new prices that I listed.

·
Registered
571 Posts
As nice as you can be go ask them a few questions, and I am not sure in what order. First: What will they pay you for the machine outright cash with the idea that you may buy a new one at some point. If that answer sucks, it will, if not satisfactory ask if they will do the repairs at cost, that will be about half the price. If that answer sucks, then talk about researching a law suit, because you bought a quality product and this kind of issue is way beyond anything you should have to deal with. Mention your association with outdoor organizations and blogs and mention this will not go unnoticed by many people including forums and letters to the editors etc. They need to help you out, you need to understand these things happen, but it is very disappointing for all of us. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
If he purchased a used Kodiak with no warranty either from this dealer or a private party he would just get laughed at by threatening a lawsuit or by threatening anything else.

There are times when you just need to cut your losses, and get your property out of their shop if you don't want to pay their prices

Reactions: JKinPA

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
I guess I missed something on where he bought it and if it was new.
I also have wondered that but when he says that he purchased it for $5000 brand new I wonder what the discount was for.

From the parts cost I am guessing that it is a SE. A whole new front diff for the SE is $1135 and for the non locking front diff it is $767.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
I went back and looked at his first few post and it is a 2018 base model.

So I don't know where the dealer is coming from saying that the parts are $1200 when a whole new front diff for a base model is only $767 from Partzilla. Throw in a couple of axle nuts and the total for parts should be no more than $800 on the high side.

·
Registered
571 Posts
These machines are a big expense for most of us, and it seems to me that a highly respected company should stand behind their product when a freak breakdown happens. This repair would cost Yamaha limited amounts and the dealer could show good customer relations. I am a bit hard to please, but that is how we keep products at a high level of quality.

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
Dealers are independent operators that are licensed by Yamaha to sell their products. They would have to fight with Yamaha to get any money for the repair. It is the same with cars and trucks, once out of warranty the dealers have to fight tooth and nail to get any money from the manufacture for a repair that would of been covered under warranty.

Now the dealer could cut down on their tear down and repair time. From what I said earlier I tore down my whole front end in around 4 hours total to put my locking diff in. Then putting it back together took a lot less time, and I was taking my time. So 7 hours should be the total repair time in my mine. Also the part cost, you can get a whole front diff for $767 for a non locking front diff. So that $1300 for parts is one heck of a mark up. That right there tells me that the dealer doesn't want to work with him.

If he can get the Kodiak home with all his parts I am sure that we here on the forum can talk him through putting it back together, and as I mentioned 501 Parts has a nice video of the tear down to install a locking diff but the tear down and putting it back together is the same.

Reactions: MarshMaster

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If he purchased a used Kodiak with no warranty either from this dealer or a private party he would just get laughed at by threatening a lawsuit or by threatening anything else.

There are times when you just need to cut your losses, and get your property out of their shop if you don't want to pay their prices

I bought it brand new in 2018 but its been ridden very little

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so I went in and talked to the service manager and told him I was picking up my pile of crap Yamaha and I would surely not leave a very nice review for them or for Yamaha themselves Told him to put it all in a box and I was taking it.Without even missing a beat he says to me, I feel real bad about you just throwing it into a box so I will knock the price down to 1700 parts and labor.That sounds like they were trying some funny buisness with the 3 grand crap to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
He also told me he was going to try and get Yamaha to pay part or all of repair and Yamaha refused to help with any of it Not sure I will ever buy a Yamaha again, I can see if I bought a used bike then ya I have no leg to stand on but this was bought brand new and hardly ridden in two years, less than 200 miles on it.Has not even had an oil change yet.As far as only paying $5000 for it i bought it marked down on summer sale.

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
That $1700 sounds more inline with what it should be by having a dealer doing the job.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
WOW, I agree with JimP. With a service manual and the knowledge of you fine gentlemen,he could get it up and running..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts