Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

Kodiak 700 With Grizzly Handlebars?

12K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Hondroid 
#1 ·

We've been talking about handlebars recently and a few of us are probably wondering if we can just directly install the one from the Grizzly 700 onto the Kodiak 700. Unfortunately, no one was picking up the phone when I called Yamaha Genuine Parts so we'll have to figure this out ourselves.

Theoretically, we should be able to switch out the bars since everything is just bolted on but would the Kodiak wires be long enough for the larger handlebar? Looking at the diagram, both models use the same "Cable Throttle 1" so the length of that shouldn't be a problem. As for the "Wire Brake 1", the part numbers are not the same but when I took a look at the part number on Part Zilla, the 2016 Kodiak 700 EPS 4WD SE is said to use the same wire as the Grizzly. This probably means that this wire is compatible with the Grizzly handlebar too.

Once the swap has been made, it should be just a matter of connecting everything again like switches, headlight, etc.

If someone has tested this out, please post here and let us know how it went. As an alternative, aftermarket company Rox has come out with a handlebar/riser kit and they have posted an installation video for anyone interested.

See less See more
1 1
#5 ·
I would like to know if this works as well. I would like to raise the bars but don't want to go the ROX route.

Happy Trails!

: )B

#6 ·
I put the Grizzly bars on last year and they add around 1 1/2" to the handle bar height.

I am 6'4" and now I can ride fairly comfortable standing up. It would be nice if they were another inch or so but I have had no problems with them at the height that they are now.

#7 ·
Thanks Jim!

I am 6' and can ride comfortably standing up, but don't like how close the bars are to the plastic at full lock, and think that a higher, more forward bar would fix that and make the quad feel "sportier".

Glad to hear it is doable without changing cables or anything like that.

Happy trails!

: )B

#8 ·
If you go with them just be careful when reattaching the brake handle on the left side.

I have a winch and when they installed the bolt to hold the in/out switch they possibly almost stripped it. Then when I went and put it on I did strip it using a torque wrench set to the correct reading. I ended up getting a longer bolt that worked without having to retap the threads or going to a bolt and nut arrangement.

Reactions: Jssrvlz
#9 ·
Thanks Jim!

I had my winch installed at the dealer, so if I got that route a will be sure to pay special attention to the left side controls.

#10 ·
Just Installed the 2018 Grizzly 700 handlebars on both a 2016 and 2018 Kodiak 700.

All seems great so far, it feels almost a couple inches taller, and much better on rides while standing.

Got a new set of Pro Taper soft pillow grips, which seem to measure the same length as the stock grips, although with everything installed, the 4WD manual lever is really close to the handlebars, and its being difficult getting the last half inch of the grip to stay on the end of the handlebars, like it wants to push off just a little. But the right side grip is just perfect..

Just a heads up to anyone with this mod in mind

#11 ·
Did you try adjusting the brake lever/4x4 lever a little to where you could get the grip on all the way? or leave it loose until the grip is on and then tighten it up and see how it works.

I had the 4x4 lever on mine when I did the Grizzly bars but didn't have the stock grips but heated grips and all was fine.

#12 ·
Did you try adjusting the brake lever/4x4 lever a little to where you could get the grip on all the way? or leave it loose until the grip is on and then tighten it up and see how it works.
We both got the grips completely on and tight, then tried bringing the headlight switch and the 4wd lever over just enough, it just keeps trying to push the grip a little off.

I'm gonna have to experiment with it. But I rode for about 5 hours, and the grip was fine. Other than that little bit at the tip. No worries. I do enjoy the handlebars though

#18 ·
Just to add to this old post, I have a 2019 Kodiak 700 and found I had to lean forward too much which caused shoulder pain.

I ordered the 2019 Grizzly handle bars today from my local dealer which will arrive in the next couple days. I did remove all components including the original handle bar. Fairly straight forward. I have the shop manual so I can torque everything to proper specs.

I will post my results once I install the new handle bar. Part number for the Grizzly bar is 1HP-F6111-01-00.

#14 ·
No problem with cables.

The grizzly bars have these little metal things on the bars, i needed to file one of them down so the 4wd lever can fit flush against the bars. Pretty simple, used a hand file.

Ordered them right from partzilla

#16 ·
At times you can find take off Grizzly bars on Ebay and pay a little less than the parts houses

Just be aware that the parts houses will rape you with the shipping.

#19 ·
Here's my conclusion to the handlebar swap. It won't work with Kodiak's with the centre light pod. My observations were the cables were stretched and the metal bend on the left the brake lever cable interferes with the light pod being properly reattached. The speedometer cable is also stretched to the limit even with adjustment. If you have the Kodiak with the gauge lights you are probably OK with this modification. Oh well. Hopefully Yamaha reads these threads and puts the taller bars on future Kodiaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.