Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am considering replacing stock tires on 2020 Kodiac 700. Down to. Kenda bearclaw HTR or mastodon HT in a 25 x 10/12 at all 4 corners vs 26 x 10/12. Are the heights of these accurate. I will pull the rear tires off the 450 and put them on the front to see if this changes the turning radius. Would you expect 10 inch wide tires on the front to fit fine as I would expect. Can you put 11 in wide tires on the stock rims for the 25 inch x 10/ 12 rims. Thanks for any suggestions / experience with these combinations. Red.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I know You can put 11” Wide on the rear no problem. Not sure about the front but 10” on the front should work. I have 26x11x12 on the rear and 26x9x12 front all on stock rims.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yes it will work without issue. worse case 1" wheel spacers will be your best friends

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have wondered about your combination of 9's up front and 11's on the rear. This would allow stock rims and prevent the need for new rims up front. The new generation Grizzly has gone to a 10 in square set up on tires. Probably for less understeer/rollover. You happy with the arrangement. Any feedback on the Kendas. My riding is rocky terrain/gravel creek/steep ravines/greasy red clay/ limited top soil. Absolutely no deep mud..creek gravel will literally suck you in. Hard ROCK Missouri limestone forest. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I run 10 front 12 wide rears on factory rims with no problems . I have a 3500 lb winch on the front and have no contact lock to lock. From what I’ve read the HTR’s are true to size and are a great all around tire.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rob-c great to know. What awesome quick response from you guys. Gotta find a way to ride with some of y'all in the future. Red

·
Registered
491 Posts
The new Grizzly with the 10” tires all A
I have wondered about your combination of 9's up front and 11's on the rear. This would allow stock rims and prevent the need for new rims up front. The new generation Grizzly has gone to a 10 in square set up on tires. Probably for less understeer/rollover. You happy with the arrangement. Any feedback on the Kendas. My riding is rocky terrain/gravel creek/steep ravines/greasy red clay/ limited top soil. Absolutely no deep mud..creek gravel will literally suck you in. Hard ROCK Missouri limestone forest. Thanks for the advice.
The new Grizzly with 10” tires all around is also using 14” wheels. Most do not like the 14” wheels. It’s just a for “show” thing. Vincent can attest to that. His new Grizzly came with them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Would consider Wildthangs or Slingshots if I had more mud
terrain.
Just a FYI the wildthangs do have a rough ride below 5 miles, when my wife pulls mine out of the garage to load it she complains about how bumpy it is.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pull a Polar trailer that I easily overload with sectioned hickory and varieties of oak > 1400 lbs. The property has much off camber riding on limestone forest. Need stability, ground clearance is rarely an issue
Stay with 25 inchers or go to 26 when upgrading? Would only raise GC 1/2 inch

·
Registered
191 Posts
Pull a Polar trailer that I easily overload with sectioned hickory and varieties of oak > 1400 lbs. The property has much off camber riding on limestone forest. Need stability, ground clearance is rarely an issue
Stay with 25 inchers or go to 26 when upgrading? Would only raise GC 1/2 inch
The HTR’s are a squared tire so that alone will give more stability vs the stocker rounded tread profile. You could go 26 and install 1 inch wheel spacers.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The wheel spacers are for additional width/stability? This isn't for clearance issues is it? Thanks
Right , Technically spacers do both, but most run spacers for the stability more than anything. I run 1 inch spacers and like em.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had the afternoon off, did some measuring.. FYI if anyone cares..
Kodiac 700 base. 450 base
F track. 44. 1/4" 44 1/2"
R track. 45 1/8" 46 3/8"
Tire height
Rear. 24 1/2" 24"
Front. 23 1/2" 23 5/8"
Tire width
Rear. 9" 9 3/4"
Front. 7 1/8" 7 1/2"

Tires
700 Maxxis MU 20 rear 4 ply
MU 19 front 4 ply
450 CST AT 2 ply both
As you may notice the 450 rear shocks are at a reduced angle compared to the 700 ( more upright/beefier) arched rear A arms.
Front suspension is very different with shocks off of the lower A arm- 700
versus off the upper A-arm - 450. Wider track is completely due to the tires. Kodiac 450 has 1 3/4" wider track than the Suzuki Kingquad 500.
Just thought someone might give a ....? Hopefully my PATHETIC attempt at photography works out this time.
20200720_170314.jpg
20200720_170314.jpg
20200720_170329.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And yes the 450 must endure the humiliation of the milk crate zip tied to her forehead ... embarrassing but oh so functional.

·
Registered
491 Posts
🤣

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tires,tires,tires...like everyone else have considered the gaumet..Ripsaws,Mastodon,Carnivore, Bighorn, on and on. Down to Kenda bearclaw HTR as most likely . AMS Pro Radials are intriguing but expensive, sunf a033 look good for money. Any firm opinions on these. Anybody with any experience with the Pro Radials?Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts