Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kodiak 700 Base Model, N2Deep snorkel and rad kit, 32 inch Silverbacks, custom powder coat
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2016 yamaha kodiak 700 base model and I have been having problems getting it started recently. I had to get a new battery for it and the fourwheeler will start and idle for a good couple seconds just fine and then it will just cut off and die. If i even remotely touch the throttle it will cut off and die too. The gas that was in it was from September of this year and it has just been sitting since then. I siphoned that gas out and poured non-ethanol gas in and some fuel injector cleaner. For the life of me I just cannot get this fourwheeler to stay running or even give it some throttle. Do yall think the fuel system is clogged from the gas just sitting in there? Ive had some people tell me that the fuel pump might be clogged or the injector. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated. It is worth noting that I have installed a snorkel kit on the fourwheeler so I dont know if its just not getting any air because of the snorkel?

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
363 Posts
Pull your spark plug, clean it (or use a new one) and try again. After sputtering a few times, check it. If it’s dry, then it isn’t getting gas. If it’s wet, it isn’t getting air. Then go from there.
Make sure there isn’t a mouse nest in that snorkel.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2016 yamaha kodiak 700 base model and I have been having problems getting it started recently. I had to get a new battery for it and the fourwheeler will start and idle for a good couple seconds just fine and then it will just cut off and die. If i even remotely touch the throttle it will cut off and die too. The gas that was in it was from September of this year and it has just been sitting since then. I siphoned that gas out and poured non-ethanol gas in and some fuel injector cleaner. For the life of me I just cannot get this fourwheeler to stay running or even give it some throttle. Do yall think the fuel system is clogged from the gas just sitting in there? Ive had some people tell me that the fuel pump might be clogged or the injector. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated. It is worth noting that I have installed a snorkel kit on the fourwheeler so I dont know if its just not getting any air because of the snorkel?
Did it start cutting out after the snorkel kit was installed?

·
Registered
2016 Kodiak 700 Base Model, N2Deep snorkel and rad kit, 32 inch Silverbacks, custom powder coat
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pull your spark plug, clean it (or use a new one) and try again. After sputtering a few times, check it. If it’s dry, then it isn’t getting gas. If it’s wet, it isn’t getting air. Then go from there.
Make sure there isn’t a mouse nest in that snorkel.
thanks a lot for that. it ended up being the spark plug. it was fouled so i changed it out with a new one from advance auto and it runs perfectly fine now. glad i didnt have to mess with the fuel system although im not sure how the spark plug became fouled as my machine doesnt have but a couple dozen hours on it.

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
363 Posts
thanks a lot for that. it ended up being the spark plug. it was fouled so i changed it out with a new one from advance auto and it runs perfectly fine now. glad i didnt have to mess with the fuel system although im not sure how the spark plug became fouled as my machine doesnt have but a couple dozen hours on it.
Hahaha!! No problem! I’m a lousy mechanic, but a good troubleshooter. Glad it was a simple fix.
FYI, my very first purchase was a spare spark plug to keep with me. It’s like $10, and can leave you MILES from the truck. So, always keep a spare on hand.
Happy trails!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Going forward, you might consider not using gas with ethanol in your machine. Ethanol gas can create a lot of headaches. Especially if you let your machine sit without running it for awhile. You should also be careful to not mix ethanol gas with non ethanol gas. Mixing the two can gum things up especially if the ethanol gas has started to phase separate.

Glad you got you machine running.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going forward, you might consider not using gas with ethanol in your machine. Ethanol gas can create a lot of headaches. Especially if you let your machine sit without running it for awhile. You should also be careful to not mix ethanol gas with non ethanol gas. Mixing the two can gum things up especially if the ethanol gas has started to phase separate.

Glad you got you machine running.
yea i always put non ethanol gas in my machine but the last time i used it was at a mud park and they only had ethanol and that was the last gas that was in it before i took my bike apart and it sat. i use non ethanol in all my small engines, lawn equipment, etc. thats how i keep my stuff running for so long!

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
If you want to see if there is any in your area you can check this link and then click on your state.

I don't know if I have been lucky or if it really doesn't matter but all I have ever ran through all of my machines has been straight old pump gas. Last year I ran the same tank of fuel in my Kodiak for 3 months while I was plowing and didn't put any fresh fuel into it until I headed down to Arizona for a hunting trip in February.

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We can't get non-ethanol gas here for probably 10 years now..
ive never heard of some places not having non-ethanol, although im from Louisiana so we have gas readily available and for cheap compared to any other state ive been to! i pay only $1.99-2.79 per gallon for non-ethanol fuel and around $1.50 for ethanol.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Lots of places did at one time, but not anymore. I gave up looking years ago. possibly I should take another look and see what I can find. Ethanol is good with water in the tank, but that's about it...

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
Check the link that I posted

·
Registered
2021 700-EPS, EHS tuner/airbox, HMF Titan, Warn 2500, 52" plow, 1" spacers, front basket, rear box.
511 Posts
I just purchased a brand new Kodiak 700 EPS with 0.7 hours on it, and it acts exactly the same as described here. Difficult to start, won't stay running, and idles quite rough, once it does start. Very tempermental indeed, and I'm not super happy about it either. I've just posted a new thread about it, hoping to get some feedback and opinions from other Kodiak owners. I guess I'll start by draining and replacing the fuel and the spark plug, but I sure hope that helps. Otherwise, this thing is essentially useless to me in the cold weather country that I live in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts