Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS Camo
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2016 Kodiak EPS i heard about the "oil consumption" recall a while back and decided to call my local dealer Yamaha of Louisville and they confirmed there was a recall on my VIN. So i have a scheduled date on Nov 13th to get the recall done which from what i am seeing on other forms is they replace the cylinder, piston, rings, and all necessary gaskets and seals. But i did an oil change on it last weekend(with Yamalube filer and 10w-40 all purposes oil) and when i went to start it it just started rolling blue smoke out of the tail pipe, i let it warm up and smoking stoped. My concern is is this the recall or would it be the valve guide and seals leaking and should i switch to a high mileage oil for the mean time to try and condition the valve seals(if that is the problem) because i have a ride planned out with some buddies on Nov 7th. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I assume that if the valve seals are indeed leaking oil, that your dealer would address it while your engine is apart

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume that if the valve seals are indeed leaking oil, that your dealer would address it while your engine is apart
Im hoping they will cover under warranty or the recall, if not i may ask about the Y.E.S. program or pay the 100$ for parts i doubt labor would be to excessive due to already tearing the top end down for recall. I did just get home and started it up to see if she would smoke and little to none came out surprisingly to the amount that was rolling yesterday. I just wonder if any conditioners in the yamalube oil helped the seals out?

·
Registered
832 Posts
If your valve seals are indeed leaking, very doughful any oil will magically stop the seals from leaking...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your valve seals are indeed leaking, very doughful any oil will magically stop the seals from leaking...
Thats my exact thought, i know the oil wont make a bad seal new im just looking to get it good where it wont smoke all day on nov 7th and get me through the ride. And i just checked again and let her warm up real good and its not smoking once warm so o think im good to ride(with an extra quart on hand just in case) but it will get adressed when i take it to Yamaha the following week, thanks for your help

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 2016 Kodiak EPS i heard about the "oil consumption" recall a while back and decided to call my local dealer Yamaha of Louisville and they confirmed there was a recall on my VIN. So i have a scheduled date on Nov 13th to get the recall done which from what i am seeing on other forms is they replace the cylinder, piston, rings, and all necessary gaskets and seals. But i did an oil change on it last weekend(with Yamalube filer and 10w-40 all purposes oil) and when i went to start it it just started rolling blue smoke out of the tail pipe, i let it warm up and smoking stoped. My concern is is this the recall or would it be the valve guide and seals leaking and should i switch to a high mileage oil for the mean time to try and condition the valve seals(if that is the problem) because i have a ride planned out with some buddies on Nov 7th. Thanks in advance.
do you know what the exact name or number of the recall was?? I have a 2016 kodiack and I swear it burns through oil like crazy

·
Grizzled Mod
185 Posts
do you know what the exact name or number of the recall was?? I have a 2016 kodiack and I swear it burns through oil like crazy
It is actually a Service Bulletin, not a recall, but you can find more information on this link. Yes, it is a Canadian document but many have reported going into a Yamaha dealer, in the US, and bring up this document with no problem getting the work done once the bike is evaluated. Its Official. 2016-18 708 Yamaha Service Bulletin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that quick reply to maineboy redrocket!! I didnt see in time, and yes the service bulletin is what ive been looking at maineboy, but when i called my Yamaha dealer they where telling me it had a recall notice about oil consumption and i scheduled a date to do so even tho they where 3 weeks out and then it can go in and order the parts😩. But to add to the thread ive cleaned my filter and air box and she is breathing a lot better i had a snorkel hose break allowing mud and water in good thing it wasn't deep stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts

just bought a 16 kodiak and it is smoking and smells of oil when i start it in 40 degree or less temps. Yamaha dealer says if it smokes then they will perform the TSB for free. I will be taking it in after hunting season here in ohio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts