Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, decided to make my own snorkel after seeing a few pics of ppl doing it on here.
Ive gotta say it probably cost me around $200 and i made the metal plate at work for free so if you’re debating whether or not to buy a kit online or do it your self i would say buy it online unless you have access to lots of tools.

Any questions feel free to ask because i sure had a lot of questions when i was building this LOL

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,304 Posts
Looks good, are you think about relocating the radiator also?

As for putting things together yourself, I do that a lot when I look at what is available at dealers or stores. But I also take a hard look at it and if I can't do a improved version and the cost is close to being the same I'll go with a pre-built add on.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys, decided to make my own snorkel after seeing a few pics of ppl doing it on here.
Ive gotta say it probably cost me around $200 and i made the metal plate at work for free so if you’re debating whether or not to buy a kit online or do it your self i would say buy it online unless you have access to lots of tools.

Any questions feel free to ask because i sure had a lot of questions when i was building this LOL

View attachment 10130
View attachment 10132 View attachment 10133 View attachment 10134 View attachment 10135 View attachment 10136

why on earth would you do that to your machine!!??:(

·
Registered
632 Posts
Wow,that's a tall snorkel. Must be planning on going over your head in water lol?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good, are you think about relocating the radiator also?

As for putting things together yourself, I do that a lot when I look at what is available at dealers or stores. But I also take a hard look at it and if I can't do a improved version and the cost is close to being the same I'll go with a pre-built add on.
No not planning on doing the rad yet, unless overheating is an issue.
The rad on the Yamaha’s are 3-4 inches higher than other machines which i find helps a lot!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow,that's a tall snorkel. Must be planning on going over your head in water lol?
I figured if I’m going to all the trouble to snorkel the machine I don’t want to get water in the engine even if i happen to go in water up to the handle bars, which is where a lot of snorkels stop.

You cant tell how deep a hole is until you’re in it, so i put them as high as possible while still having a clear view ahead while sitting!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the answer is pretty obvious SE700yammy lol

atv are not made to do that stuff
anything over the seat is bad news
even if you can go up to the bars all your electronics and sensitive components will get wet and dirty.
they wont last submerging all the time.
plenty of fun to be had mudding and hitting water holes without it.
one thing guys dont tell you is all the troubles they have with this setup and all the money they put into it all the time.
it will shorten the life of your wheeler...but hey...its your machine!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
even if you can go up to the bars all your electronics and sensitive components will get wet and dirty.
one thing guys dont tell you is all the troubles they have with this setup and all the money they put into it all the time.
Cut him some slack. He did an excellent job on his snorkel system.

I'm the last guy who would ever snorkel my quad , but I certainly can appreciate the time and efforts he put into it....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So driving through water on a trail that is deeper that you expected and flooding your machine is better for it? LOL no need to try and tell other ppl on this site why their machines don’t fit your riding style

·
Registered
730 Posts
So driving through water on a trail that is deeper that you expected and flooding your machine is better for it? LOL no need to try and tell other ppl on this site why their machines don’t fit your riding style
That almost happened to me 2 years ago with my previous grizzly. Part of a well established trail was flooded. When I started to cross the soften Sandy bottom quickly turned into quick sand. What was 2.5 feet deep turned Much deeper in seconds. My entire front rack was under water, and engine light started flashing!!! Though thankfully the engine never stalled. I had to jump into the water and quickly lift the front end up while applying throttle in reverse. Got it out but barely... Very scary experience! I was 25 miles deep in the forest on a cold fall day.

Reactions: MarshMaster and Cam

·
Registered
13 Posts
i agree and i wasn't bashing his workmanship or where he chooses to ride.
been riding for 30 years and have seen a lot
better to leave a machine mostly stock`.....thats just my opinion!!

·
Super Moderator
1,304 Posts
i agree and i wasn't bashing his workmanship or where he chooses to ride.
been riding for 30 years and have seen a lot
better to leave a machine mostly stock`.....thats just my opinion!!
That's just the fun of owning one of these Kodiak's.

Since it is yours you can do whatever you want to it and not have to worry about what others do to theirs.

I have done mods to mine that others would not, if you want to leave it stock then that is fine also.

This is a group of owners who may go one way or the other, and we all should agree to let them do as they wish.

·
Super Moderator
313 Posts
Cut him some slack. He did an excellent job on his snorkel system.

I'm the last guy who would ever snorkel my quad , but I certainly can appreciate the time and efforts he put into it....
I'm going to have to disagree with you.. You are not the last guy to snorkel your bike......

I AM.

Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vincent
1 - 17 of 17 Posts