Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2016 kodiak 700 hunter edition. I chose to order the standard edition as I don't care for the power steering. I would like to install the factory gauge cluster for the the EPS model so that I can see fuel, speed and mileage info.

Does anyone know the is a plug and play affair, or if not is it even plausible? I seem to have a few plugs under the cowl that don't connect to anything topside. Any input is appreciated.

Super Moderator
It may be plug and play from the number of unconnected plugs that I saw under the battery cover, but unless you want to spend big bucks there is no reason to really go with the SE gauge assembly which includes the third headlight. By the time that you are done picking up parts you will be into it around $400 by buying the parts.

I went with a Trail Tech Striker computer kit from Summit Racing. It will do all you want except for the fuel level but from what I have read you really shouldn't need that if you watch your low fuel indicator light. Also if you go to the Trail Tech site you can find a optional warning light set up for another $50, but I don't think that it is necessary.

While the speedometer does not work off of the factory set up it sounds like it works. There is a magnet and a bolt that you need to install on one of the front wheels for it to operate.

Registered
I've been thinking about one of those Strikers. I don't need the fuel level gauge, I always carry extra gas. The speedo, and especially the odometer, would be nice though. I don't know how that magnet setup works, but I wonder whether installing the magnet in a more protected place such as an inner CV joint would be better. The magnet would still turn at the same speed whether it's on the rim or the axle, but it'd be less likely to be flung or ripped off on the axle.

As for using factory gauges, the speedo and gear indicator might work but I doubt the fuel gauge would, because Yamaha probably didn't put the sending unit in the tank

Registered
I recently purchased a 2016 kodiak 700 hunter edition. I chose to order the standard edition as I don't care for the power steering. I would like to install the factory gauge cluster for the the EPS model so that I can see fuel, speed and mileage info.

Does anyone know the is a plug and play affair, or if not is it even plausible? I seem to have a few plugs under the cowl that don't connect to anything topside. Any input is appreciated.
Welcome to the forum jskelly! Take time and use the search function of the forum, there are a few threads already that answer your question in detail.
Here is one:

http://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/210-kodiak-700-accessories-add-ons/4202-se-base-model-kodiak-700-a.html

And Trail tech is also the subject of a few threads.

Super Moderator
If you compare part numbers from the base model Kodiak to the SE model Kodiak you will see that they carry the same part numbers from what I have compared. So if you want to add something onto your base model Kodiak that comes on the SE then odds are all you have to do is to order the SE part and bolt it on. With regards to a electronic part such as the speedometer and fuel gauge I believe that everything is already on the base model and that it should be a plug and go type of thing.

You'll notice after looking at the base model that they left quite a few things off of it that you can get for the next level or higher machine. One of the items that they should of included is the brush guards for the CV joints, both front and rear. But they are easily ordered and installed since all the mounting points are on the base models frame. It is a lot like the 2" hitch. All you need to do is to remove 2 bolts and then bolt it into place.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Great info!!!

Thanks for all of your input. I will research the trail tech unit a little further before I spend more on the SE unit.

Registered
I recently purchased a 2016 kodiak 700 hunter edition. I chose to order the standard edition as I don't care for the power steering. .

I'm not sure why you don't like the power steering, if it's the additional cost, if you break it down over the life of the machine it's not much. If it's reliability, I get it. I was there, I don't need power steering, etc, etc. But to get the diff lock that I really did want, I had to get the SE which comes with power steering. After having power steering all I can say is it's awesome. You really have to think about it while driving to even notice it but when you think about it, it's like, Huh, I didn't even notice how easy that turned. I'm sure bigger tires would make it even more noticeable. Rough terrain or severe mud or snow is where it will really shine. Imagine turning in the roughest spot you can think of with just 2 fingers on each hand, that's how easy it turns. And if you wanted all the gauges, 3rd headlight and all the other things that come with the EPS version it makes it even more worth it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I spent about 8 hours on both machines. Initially I went in to buy the maxed out Grizzly, but I really liked the simplicity of the base model and didn't care for the over-responsiveness of the EPS. I like the feel of the standard steering. Plus with the money I saved and the dealer freebies (winch/plow) it kinda became a no-brainer for me. Now I have enough leftover money to get the aluminum skids and some elka shocks. I really appreciate your input and experience though. This is certainly the most responsive forum I've ever been part of, I'm sure I will be asking a lot more questions as I go.. Thanks again! Jay

Registered
speedometer

i also wanted to add this option. I got dealership to look up but the only waay it is available is to buy piece by piece which is easily over $650 it isnt worth it i put a aftermarket one on it and it works great for $125

Super Moderator
i also wanted to add this option. I got dealership to look up but the only waay it is available is to buy piece by piece which is easily over $650 it isnt worth it i put a aftermarket one on it and it works great for $125
I actually priced it out on a on line dealer and it comes to around the $300 mark. Perhaps in the not too distant future Yamaha will offer a kit for it. Way back in 2000 the Kodiak didn't come with a speedometer or odometer but about a year and a half later they had a retro kit that included everything to put a speedometer onto a 2000 model. It took me about a hour to install it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts