Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is somewhat of confessional so its long with pic :smile2: . I write this post in the hope to help others.

I bought a 2017 Kodiak 700 SE. It looked like new (see pic), 340 miles not a sign of dirt any where on it. Previous Owner said that he only rode around the farm and bought a SXS to be with the wife. At $5500 I thought it was bargain went through inspecting motor and brake fluids and follow up with a 15min test drive and it all work- lights-diff lock-4WD switches.

A month later I brought it out to relative`s farm where after 20min running fast it would cut out and die. Thought it was the spark plug but no dice. I checked all connections I could see and some I couldn't. I brought the Kodiak home disappointed while everyone else rode.

After thinking about it for a week, I remembered that I never looked into the tank. After taking a bright light it looked dark at the bottom as its suppose to be white. Took the tank fuel pump hatch/top off and pulled out pump. The pump`s filter sock was complete mud clogged and mud was 1/8 settled in the bottom. THE MACHINE HAD BEEN AND WAS SWAMPED!:frown2:

The fuel pump filter sock cannot be had from Yamaha. They only had a new pump assy was $325. Happily I found the replacement filter socks on the net for 3qty for $15. I examined them, material & construction appear to be the same as the factory one. Snap right on where the old one was.

I have been on 3 long rides since the repair having no more running problems fuel throttle or at Idle.

I hope this helps, I found my dream machine and got infected by NEW ATV dream goggles,:nerd: not following through with my complete inspection.

No telling what this machine went through and I notice the decals as not factory correct on the sides. but it does now ride like new. I uploaded a pic the sock, tank (before cleaning) and the ATV the day I bought it.

Cheers
Tim

Attachments

Super Moderator
Glad you got it figure out it is surprising what people will do to their machines and then pawn them off on someone.

If was me I would check the electrical connections in the battery compartment and make sure that none of them are starting to turn green from the water

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Registered
As a rule people do not sell perfect vehicles...there's a reason it's for sale most of the time. Good looking Kodiak, glad to see you got it cleared up in short order!

Registered
With all the flooding around the country, I think you should assume it good submerged, that is the most logical. Yes, there are a lot of shady people out there. I like new for that reason. Glad you got it worked out and good luck!

Registered
I have the same machine and i bought mine 11 months ago with 318 miles on it and it too looked perfect. Bought mine from a dealer who got it as a repo. I have had no issues with it and now have over 800 miles on it and plowed snow all last winter with it. I think the price you paid was very good because I paid $6800 for mine. Especially if you have no more issues with it. And yes the graphics on yours are not what came on it new, so something happened there also before you got it. Here is a picture of mine so you can see what graphics should be on it. (I added the 700 on the fenders)

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts