Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Engine Block Heater

After an thoughtful investigation, and contact with Yamaha Workshop I have come to the conclusion that I will/need to install an block heater for my New Kodiak 700 -18 before next winter.
Maybe as an alternative I can change to an real thin winter oil and back to an thicker oil twice a year, but in my world that is too much fuzz. I want to be 100% sure my ATV starts and NOT damage itself during temperatures under -10 DegC. I cant take another process like the one I have experienced the last weeks. (see another thread)

So, I have looked into different types of suitable block heaters, and the common type used for cars here in Scandinavia seem NOT to be an option. This is an type you normally screw into the engine block by removing an "prepared" plug from your engine.

The feasible alternatives seem to be an hose installed heater or eventual an "silicone rubber"contact heater.

Now to my issues: Can there be installed an hose heater without an electric circulation pump on the Kodiak??
Anybody with any experience of this?
There are also heaters with an built in circulation pump that obviously can handle the hot water during operation.

And where to install it? Anyone with experience or pictures?? I haven't taken down all the plastic around the engine to see how the cooling system is laid up yet.

I submit pictures of 3 different types, the red one is with built in pump....

Attachments

Super Moderator
The hose heaters work quite well. The coolant while not circulating will warm the engine up quite a bit for cold starting.

Another trick is a light bulb that is turned on under the machine with a tarp or ATV cover over the Kodiak. You would be surprised at how much it warms things up.

One thing to consider is the cost. Check your power bill or call your power company and find out what you are paying for electricity. Then consider the wattage of the heating element. As a example a 1000 watt heater will cost you whatever 1 kw will cost. So if you have it plugged in for lets say 10 hours it would be 1 kw times the cost of a kw times the hours that it is on. The same would work with a 100 watt light bulb but the kw would be 0.1 kw.

A work around on this would be to place a timer on the heater and have it come on 3 or 4 hours before you need the Kodiak. This will save a little bit of money.

Registered
I would use a winter weight oil and see if you can modify a dipstick heater or use heat tape on the bottom of the case itself. It should work just fine.

On my old Big Bear I never had an issue unless it was well below zero Farenheit. Roughly -18 Celsius. But it had a choke and a heated carburetor.

Registered
Engine Block Heater

After an thoughtful investigation, and contact with Yamaha Workshop I have come to the conclusion that I will/need to install an block heater for my New Kodiak 700 -18 before next winter.
Maybe as an alternative I can change to an real thin winter oil and back to an thicker oil twice a year, but in my world that is too much fuzz. I want to be 100% sure my ATV starts and NOT damage itself during temperatures under -10 DegC. I cant take another process like the one I have experienced the last weeks. (see another thread)

So, I have looked into different types of suitable block heaters, and the common type used for cars here in Scandinavia seem NOT to be an option. This is an type you normally screw into the engine block by removing an "prepared" plug from your engine.

The feasible alternatives seem to be an hose installed heater or eventual an "silicone rubber"contact heater.

Now to my issues: Can there be installed an hose heater without an electric circulation pump on the Kodiak??
Anybody with any experience of this?
There are also heaters with an built in circulation pump that obviously can handle the hot water during operation.

And where to install it? Anyone with experience or pictures?? I haven't taken down all the plastic around the engine to see how the cooling system is laid up yet.

I submit pictures of 3 different types, the red one is with built in pump....
Have you looked at proheat products ? If not, hop on the grizzlycentral.com forum and ask user caligula for details , he has a setup using that type heater.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts