Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm considering a Kodiak 700eps as a utility atv. Usage would be on a 20 acre piece of property in Western North Carolina. About 9 acres pasture, 11 acres woods. Terrain is a combo of flat and inclined (some sections are pretty steep). My gravel driveway also has one section which 2wd vehicles are not always guaranteed to make it up (depends on vehicle and load).

So primary usage would be pulling a tow behind rough cut mower on pasture and woods, firewood hauler, water hauler up driveway (have spring on lower section of property, need water for orchard/trees and garden on upper sections and it's too much vertical rise to pump), potential snow removal at times, and daily sprint to mailbox 3/4 mile away on private gravel road. Maybe 5% will be recreational riding.

Before I go forward on the 700eps, I want to get opinions on the 450eps. Obviously it is cheaper in price, but it seems to have the same towing capacity, decent specs minus the diff lock, probably less fuel burn, and the 700 looks to put out more heat (good in winter, bad in summer I guess). I remember when my street bike would turn on the fan stopped in the middle of summer that wasn't always great.

But, the 700 obviously has more torque, and I want the motor to last going up the inclines and with a heavy tow at times. Approx 100 Gallons water plus trailer weight may pull around 1100 pounds (if doable given driveway). And pulling firewood out from some of the incline sections will take some power.

Is the 700eps the right machine or is the 450eps sufficient?

Appreciate feedback. I haven't used either in a work environment and would rather buy the best machine matched for the job and money spent.

Thanks.

-TikiG

·
Registered
294 Posts
The 700, is all I know

This trailer weighs over 1200 lbs(I really don't know the weight accurately). I had it loaded with about 300 lbs of camping gear. Plus a friend and I on the seat. About 450 lbs. I went up a few very steep mountains with loose gravel. I used 4wd low, and I couldn't really feel the trailer other than the offroad terrain bouncing it.

I dont know the motor strength of the 450, but this 700, it was no joking around.

They are pretty hot, but it's still...all I know
20191011_135952.jpg

·
Registered
472 Posts
The trailer in that picture does not weigh 1200 lbs in my opinion, closer to half that. The 700 is the only way to go, when you haul water, you need what the 700 can give you. Wonderful that you are doing the research. I do what you want to and this is a good machine for size and money. Good luck!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Stick with your first choice of the 700, don’t skimp on power when your towing and the 700 will have a beefier rear end. If you buy the 450 you might wish you had more power and diff-lock and then it’s too late. Better to have the power you need vs wishing you had more. I have moved my 4000 lb boat around on my property with my 700 and it does it well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The trailer in that picture does not weigh 1200 lbs in my opinion, closer to half that.
That is probably true. I do need to get it weighed

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
On the trailer I would say that the weight capacity is 1200 lbs.

On which Kodiak to purchase, get the 700 with the diff lock and never look back. If you decide that you need a little bit more low end grunt you can always install the Grizzly springs or use low range for towing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Greetings,

I'm considering a Kodiak 700eps as a utility atv. Usage would be on a 20 acre piece of property in Western North Carolina. About 9 acres pasture, 11 acres woods. Terrain is a combo of flat and inclined (some sections are pretty steep). My gravel driveway also has one section which 2wd vehicles are not always guaranteed to make it up (depends on vehicle and load).

So primary usage would be pulling a tow behind rough cut mower on pasture and woods, firewood hauler, water hauler up driveway (have spring on lower section of property, need water for orchard/trees and garden on upper sections and it's too much vertical rise to pump), potential snow removal at times, and daily sprint to mailbox 3/4 mile away on private gravel road. Maybe 5% will be recreational riding.

Before I go forward on the 700eps, I want to get opinions on the 450eps. Obviously it is cheaper in price, but it seems to have the same towing capacity, decent specs minus the diff lock, probably less fuel burn, and the 700 looks to put out more heat (good in winter, bad in summer I guess). I remember when my street bike would turn on the fan stopped in the middle of summer that wasn't always great.

But, the 700 obviously has more torque, and I want the motor to last going up the inclines and with a heavy tow at times. Approx 100 Gallons water plus trailer weight may pull around 1100 pounds (if doable given driveway). And pulling firewood out from some of the incline sections will take some power.

Is the 700eps the right machine or is the 450eps sufficient?

Appreciate feedback. I haven't used either in a work environment and would rather buy the best machine matched for the job and money spent.

Thanks.

-TikiG
Low gear, you dont feel anything. Cut a 60 foot tree down today. This thing will probably haul anything lol.

·
Registered
699 Posts
On the trailer I would say that the weight capacity is 1200 lbs.

On which Kodiak to purchase, get the 700 with the diff lock and never look back. If you decide that you need a little bit more low end grunt you can always install the Grizzly springs or use low range for towing.
Grizzly and Kodiak use the same spring.

And I vote 700 all the way. The 450 though very capable machine, can get boring at only 26hp

·
Registered
294 Posts
On the trailer I would say that the weight capacity is 1200.
Not trying to stay off topic lol.
The trailer is a early 90s tilt trailer, it is a 3500 lb capacity, and built super solid, i think the guy sold it because of the weight, he said it was over 1000, i just took his word and went. But I will get it weighed soon, sorry for the ignorance on my part lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Low gear, you dont feel anything. Cut a 60 foot tree down today. This thing will probably haul anything lol.
View attachment 9506
I got the same trailer. I modified mine by replacing the main beam to square tube steel. I changed out the box support to angled steel as well. Oh, and the little clips that hold on the wheels, I threaded the axle with a die and used a nut to secure the wheel. Almost busted a nut threading 3/4 inch steel tube by hand. Much stronger now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My Dad gave me that trailer last summer before he passed away. Its a decent size for yard work. I have no clue how much it can hold. I use to fill that up and pull it with my craftsman riding mower. That's what the Kodiak 700 is for now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback!

Was more or less was I thought... In the end I would rather have the 700eps and leave no regrets on the table performance towing wise.

Hopefully the cvt trans will last.

Thanks,
TikiG

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Thanks for the feedback!

Was more or less was I thought... In the end I would rather have the 700eps and leave no regrets on the table performance towing wise.

Hopefully the cvt trans will last.

Thanks,
TikiG
You are talking about a yamaha cvt.... You don't hour it lasts.... You hope you last as long as it does.....
Best cvt system on the market.... That will be the very last thing you should ever worry about

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
699 Posts
X2 Yamaha cvt trans are tough as hell, and there are more then enough high mileage, hard riding, 20+ year old Kodiaks and Grizzlys out there to prove this!

Reactions: Deckartist

·
Registered
39 Posts
I talked to my dealer about this before buying and wound up with the Kodiak 700 EPS Hunter. I have pulled many a heavy log and a ton of wood around the woodyard. I highly recommend getting the larger motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Picked it up yesterday. Pretty Sweet. Probably need to adjust the brakes but I'll open a different thread for that.

Obligatory pics.
IMG_20200422_154811111.jpg
IMG_20200422_154832675web.jpg
IMG_20200422_162833143.jpg

Thanks for everyone's input on the thread.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Very nice. Congratulations

·
Registered
294 Posts
Love it. That is beautiful!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts