Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum - hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I have a brand new Kodiak 450 EPS and the 4 Wheel Drive light stays on regardless of the if the machine is in 4 wheel drive or not. The servo is working. Unplugged the lead going to the servo and the light remains on - Unplugged the 2 wire lead going to the front differential and the light is still on. I assume its a bad display? any other troubleshooting that i may have missed? Any help is deeply appreciated - Regards to all

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
It could be your switch. There is a technical bulletin out there for problems with the switch on certain years and VIN's. They don't mention a 450 but may be worth a look. See the bulletin below. You can try cleaning the switch and checking all your connections on the servo and relays also.

Cleaning the switch video
https://youtu.be/rCNTXsrnRaQ

YAMAHA TECHNICAL BULLETIN: FEBRUARY 7, 2017
BULLETIN NUMBER: AT2016-001
Safety Bulletin:
2012-2015 YFM550/700 (“Grizzly 550/700”); Certain 2016 YFM70K (“Kodiak 700”); Certain 2016 YFM70G (“Grizzly”) Models – 2WD/4WD Intermittently Acuates at Start-up or Idle.

The button return springs inside the Handle 1 switch have weakened, allowing intermittent switch contact at start-up or idle. Internal protection circuits prevent On-Command system mode changes while the unit is under way.

Solution: New switches have a stiffer-rate return springs to counter vibration and eliminate the possibility of intermittent contact that causes these On Command 4WD system mode changes.

Potentially Affected Models:
2012-2015 YFM550/700 (“Grizzly 550/700”); Certain 2016 YFM70K (“Kodiak 700”); Certain 2016 YFM70G (“Grizzly”) Models. Call with your VIN number to see if your machine is affected by this recall.

·
Registered
83 Posts
New to this forum - hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I have a brand new Kodiak 450 EPS and the 4 Wheel Drive light stays on regardless of the if the machine is in 4 wheel drive or not. The servo is working. Unplugged the lead going to the servo and the light remains on - Unplugged the 2 wire lead going to the front differential and the light is still on. I assume its a bad display? any other troubleshooting that i may have missed? Any help is deeply appreciated - Regards to all
I noticed the same issue on my 450. I would have to backup to get the light to go out, then it would work fine for awhile. I used to have a Ford Ranger with electronic 4wd that did the same thing. Never had a problem with the 4wd though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I recently checked all the connections and leads running from the Servo back to the Display. Took the front Cowl off and check the relays and connectors under there and everything checked out. even went as far as to disconnect the main lead to the display and the light remained on. I never though to check the actual switch being the Servo still turned and the machine still went in and out of 4 Wheel Drive when i pushed the button. I will check it out and let you know what i find. Again i appreciate the help. If this don't work it's back to the dealer for a warranty repair. Regards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts