Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wheels on my 2020 Kodiak 700 EPS SE are getting destroyed by rocks. I ride almost exclusively in super rocky areas. Any suggestions? Wider tires? Thanks!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Bigger tires, smaller wheels, more air pressure, change riding technique. I used to hit my wheels alot more, ive learned over time how to keep my wheels off rocks.

Im guessing you have those nice aluminum wheels too. Which could possibly crack with the right force

·
Registered
515 Posts
I assume your still running the stock tires, there are better no doubt. A wider tire will certainly help, as will a tire like the classic k299 bear claw it’s made with a bead protector on the side wall.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Stock tires are excessively soft. A good, taller, quality 6 ply make a huge difference.

We have alot of rock in my area, and after 6500 miles my wheels still have no damage.

In my case I run 26x9s on 26x6" factory aluminum wheels on all four corners

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! I’ve been considering new tires anyway and for the sake of my wheels I’d better do it sooner than later. How much wider do you recommend going vs the stock ones which are:
  • Front Tire AT25 x 8-12 Maxxis® MU19
  • Rear Tire AT25 x 10-12 Maxxis® MU20

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Not just wider but taller to.

Two of the most popular sizes are 26 x 9 front 26x11 rears or 27x9 fronts 27x11 rears.

Not all tires measures true to size. So some 27" tires actually measure 26" tall. Maxxis Zillas are an example of this.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Myself I went with 28’s (actual height 27.5) 10 front 12 rear wide on stock rims with my wildthangs with zero rubbing.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Super Moderator
934 Posts
I have 26x9R12 fronts, 26x11R12 rears, reptile radials, my SE rims are all mint except 1 which got a little rash while squeezing between 2 soccer ball size boulders at the exit of a mud hole. I had no control due to ruts and full throttle to make it through. My rear rim would have suffered the same scratch, but that extra bit of width in the rear caused my rear tire to grab and go up over that Boulder.
My buddies steel rim on the front faired much worse. The lip of his rim bent in and tore back a bit. We used the back side of an axe to Bend it back in place so it didn't potentially puncture the sidewall of the tire rolled a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chadman610
1 - 8 of 8 Posts