Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone have any experience with them? I've read a bunch of reviews on them elsewhere already but it doesn't hurt to have more input & having the dicussion on here for future reference.

Pros-
Tough casing/sidewall
1.5" lugs claw their way through through anything soft, almost too well.
Harder rubber compound wears a little slower than most.

Cons are whats expected from a mud tire-
Weight
Rough at low speed
They ride kinda "loose" on hardpack/gravel at higher speeds.

Not exactly a con, but worth noting, is that the tire has a tendency to dig you DOWN in mud if your someone whos real heavy on the throttle.. But if you start to feel yourself sinking all it takes is a little less throttle and you'll crawl right out without much fuss.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on them in a couple weeks. Wish they were a touch cheaper though lol.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
What size are you considering?

Do you have alot mud in your area?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Myself after doing research between mayhems, wildthangs and zillas. I landed on wildthangs and as of now I am very very happy with them. I know you asked about mayhems but give the wildthangs a good look. Here’s a little review I did on the wildthangs.

Reactions: Blmpkn

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What size are you considering?

Do you have alot mud in your area?
Im after a 27" tire. I've read that the 27" mahems are about 26.5" at 5 pounds, which is probably about as much air as I'd want to run in them, and is close enough for my liking.

As for the amount of mud up here, it really just depends how much rain we get (thanks capt. Obvious lol)

But really, a lot of maine is in a drought right now.. My area hasn't seen a meaningful soaking rain in at least a month, and it's been pretty damn hot.. BUT there's still plenty of spots to go get buried if you know where they are.

The mayhems are definitely more to the "dedicated mud tire" end of the trail/mud spectrum.. But I don't think they'd be complete overkill.

More or less, I only ride trails to find mud. True trail riding is kinda.. Bland. I'm definitely a mud bug, and totally jealous of them Canadians and their endless supply of skeg.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Myself after doing research between mayhems, wildthangs and zillas. I landed on wildthangs and as of now I am very very happy with them. I know you asked about mayhems but give the wildthangs a good look. Here’s a little review I did on the wildthangs.

I had been looking at the wildthangs thanks to your couple posts about them, but I just don't think they'd be aggressive enough for the riding I'll be doing, especially once we get some good rain and this stupid drought is over. Like I mentioned above, I'm a total mud freak. Only ride trails to get to the sloppy spots. I can deal with the "cons" to get to enjoy the "pros" when I'm riding what I want to ride. Life's all about compromises.

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ya, skeg and Marsh are interesting and unpredictable fun. I only do them when required witch isn't rare.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
So 27" tires..... Square or staggered sizes widths? Any weight specs to share?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Staggered. 9" wide according to mudthrowers weigh 30 pounds and 11"s are 34. Probably double what the stockers weigh.. But that's what clutching and power mods are for.

I would like skinnies in the back but don't wanna buy wheels lol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whelp, I took the plunge. Just ordered 28x9 fronts and a shim kit. Ordering rears Friday, so if all goes well.. next weekend I'll have them on and see how they roll!

Went with 28s over 27s because they run about a half inch short at 5psi. The stock 25" cst's run a half inch short at 5 pounds so I'll be looking at a solid 1.5" extra clearance. Suped.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kinda slow on the forums so update time..

The rears came in Friday, although I didn't have the scratch or time to get them installed. I'll be bringing everything to the dealer tomorrow or Tuesday and let them have the fun of putting them on.. not cheap imo.. 120 bucks for all 4. They must do it manually i figure at that price. I only pay 80 to mount and balance my truck tires.

Hopefully next weekend I can find some mud and really test them out! The drought in my area is still very much... dry lol. Made our weekend ride kinda boring

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
For that kind of a price for mounting the Harbor Freight tire changer would pay for itself as soon as you got it home

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Wow, 120$ !!! Jeez....

·
Registered
523 Posts
Wow that’s pricey, I would call around to see if some auto shops will do it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Kinda slow on the forums so update time..

The rears came in Friday, although I didn't have the scratch or time to get them installed. I'll be bringing everything to the dealer tomorrow or Tuesday and let them have the fun of putting them on.. not cheap imo.. 120 bucks for all 4. They must do it manually i figure at that price. I only pay 80 to mount and balance my truck tires.

Hopefully next weekend I can find some mud and really test them out! The drought in my area is still very much... dry lol. Made our weekend ride kinda boring
Most auto/truck tire dealers sell and install ATV tires, many are usually happy to mount tires bought elsewhere and charge you in the range of $15 to $20 a tire.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
That's what I did. Regular automotive garage. 15$ per tire. And that's Canadian dollars !!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hadn't thought about the hazard fraught tire changer, that is a good idea. I asked one of the auto garages in my town and they weren't too keen on it, but like previously mentioned I'm sure their machine wouldn't fit a 12" wheel.

I'll make some more calls before I go to my dealer, thanks guys

·
Registered
523 Posts
I hadn't thought about the hazard fraught tire changer, that is a good idea. I asked one of the auto garages in my town and they weren't too keen on it, but like previously mentioned I'm sure their machine wouldn't fit a 12" wheel.

I'll make some more calls before I go to my dealer, thanks guys
I’m a auto tech and 12 inch rims will fit on a rim clamp machine, I’ve done them . Having said that I have a harbor freight tire changer that I have modified to break the bead over the run flat rim ridge on atv rims. Ill snap a photo and post for you guys.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called the remaining dealers around me, and they're mostly all in the 120$ range... except one.. its a bit further out than I wanted to drive.. but they said it's USUALLY 10 bucks a tire and they should have them done by the end of the week. Gonna take the trip after work and hope for the best!

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
This tire changer, a air compressor and a ratchet strap is money well spent.

Reactions: Madmax and Jssrvlz

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts