Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery won't start my 700, the machine is 16 months old, I have an extended warranty, I don't think that covers my battery. The charging system will put out a fluctuating 12.2 to 13.6 volts, but that is tops. When I shut it down after running it, the battery voltage on the battery is 11 volts max. I have to jump start it. If I put the charger on it will start, but it won't crank long.

So I have some questions: Is my battery shot? Is the output on my alternator at 13.6 max high enough? Anyone got a good idea where and what I should buy for a replacement?

·
Registered
699 Posts
In my case my 09 Grizzly at dle (1600 rpms) shows steady 14.3 volts. Reving it doesn't seem to change that.

Your voltage reading are odd to say the least ...

If your battery only shows 11 volts it's definitely shot. But I agree that something seems off with your other reading

Your stator, or voltage regulator may be acting up.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vincent, I will be curious to see what others have for charging voltage. I will try to charge the battery and disconnect it, to see what the reading is then. The reading I got today was after it ran for a while and then shut it off.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I have a volt gauge on my aftermarket gauge set up and when running I'll show a constant 14.3 volts also

·
Registered
699 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. Yes Vincent I remember your ordeal. I think when I get a chance I will talk with the dealer and see if my extended warranty pays off. I worry that they will nit pick my ad ons, heated handles, and winch. I will see, I did not buy it where I will hope to get it fixed. They mistreated me on my last machine, and I don't believe they were honest and upfront. I took my last machine in for the compression spring recall and before I left they charged me $115 and said my gas was bad, and that was the gas that came in it new.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I put two different chargers on at different times and when it got done charging I only read 11 volts. I will read that in the morning to see if it is draining down, or if I just cant get the battery to take a full charge. I also wonder if a bad battery will keep the charging system from putting out a higher voltage. Max is 13.6 volts under this situation. Having the lights on has no apparent effect on the voltage, and the lights are bright.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think we've already established your battery is toast......

Think of your battery as a bucket with a hole at the bottom, no matter how long you try to fill it, it just won't fill anymore.

I don't believe your charging system output (volts) will be effected by your weak battery.

Reactions: Madmax

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vincent, thanks for the reply and info. I guess I will get a new battery and go from there. Anyone got good advice on what I should get? I see this is about a 300 Cold Cranking amp battery, and I think that is about as big as I can fit in that battery space.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI, I am going to replace that battery, but I put the charger on and it has been starting. Just researching a good battery, and been busy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts