Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Skeeter!

Thanks so much for the detailed response and the helpful suggestions.

I'm relatively new to ATV's in general, and still learning about this particular Kodiak 700 EPS, but I've seen a number of other posts and videos about oil options, valve adjustments and clutch weights. Oil choice is obviously a no-brainier, but it's going to take me some time to learn more about mechanical things like the clutch and valve issues, and frankly, it's unclear to me whether (or why?) a valve adjustment would even be necessary on a brand new ATV with only 0.7 hours on it?

Anyway, it's reassuring to me that I'm not imagining the problem and not alone in experiencing it, so thanks again for your post.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Regarding Skeeters suggestion about external heater and heater types (i.e., strip heaters, silicone pad heaters, etc.), I think the magnetic style of block heater would be an awesome way to go for an ATV (easily applied and detachable, etc.), but I imagine most of the engine components on the Kodiaks/Grizzlies, are aluminum or magnesium, so a magnetic heater probably wouldn't work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
A quick update on my cold starting issue . . . my local temperatures have warmed-up here significantly since I first initiated this thread, and I've also gained quite a bit more experience with starting and operating this new Kodiak 700 EPS, but fortunately, it's now starting on the first or second try, like others have suggested that it should. So that's a huge relief for me, because it means that nothing is inherently wrong with it. However, contrary to typical EFI (electronic fuel-injected) systems, I've learned that I must give it no less than half throttle at the initial start-up for it to respond properly. Anything less, it won't start, no matter how many times you crank it.

Anyway, thanks again to all of you who contributed to this thread. It was very helpful.

·
Registered
687 Posts
It was so cold here last night that even the saw horses went in the barn. The Kodiak started right up though lol. I'm a big proponent of synthetic oil. I even use it in my portable generators.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
It was so cold here last night that even the saw horses went in the barn. The Kodiak started right up though lol. I'm a big proponent of synthetic oil. I even use it in my portable generators.
Yeah, I don't know just what Yamaha puts in these things from the factory (probably YamaLube 10w-40?), but I too am going to switch it out for some synthetic (Rotella T6, 5w-40), and then stick with that in the future.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
The temp here has been in the 20s to 30s, I was kinda nervous when I went to start the Kodiak after sitting for a week. No throttle,fired right up first time. Purred like a kitten,if that kitten swallowed a handful of bolts. I was expecting it to take a couple try's but fired right up..
Sorry this is off topic. Rest in peace Belle..
20200613_182224-COLLAGE.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Nope. Mine won't even sputter without half throttle, and my condolences to you on the recent loss of Belle. She looked awfully sweet. Reminds of a 14-year old dog my very best friend down in Texas had, that passed away this past September. Her name was Kenai. She's buried by an old, dry, creek bed, nicely secluded and lined with scrub oak and pecan trees, alongside three other dogs that they've lost since their time together in Alaska.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
My days are awfully long now, she was my best friend. Never had to worry about her, she was always there. We hunted together for many years,until she blew out her a.c.l. if you look you can see her back left leg looks a little wonky. I haven't hunted since she retired,couldn't stand to leave her. Im disabled so im with my dogs 24 hours a day, once my wife leaves for work im by myself,no real human friends to speak of..
She is missed very much..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
My days are awfully long now, she was my best friend. Never had to worry about her, she was always there. We hunted together for many years,until she blew out her a.c.l. if you look you can see her back left leg looks a little wonky. I haven't hunted since she retired,couldn't stand to leave her. Im disabled so im with my dogs 24 hours a day, once my wife leaves for work im by myself,no real human friends to speak of..
She is missed very much..
I feel ya, partner, and I recognize that it's no real consolation, but I'm in the same boat, more-or-less. And I totally empathize. 70-years old, kids all grown and gone, wife still working 8-10 nearly every day, subtle thoughts of my experiences (and mates) during the Vietnam war, often running thru my head, and the loss of a prized, but far too young little Jack Russell Terrier to a poisonous cane toad. Somedays just aren't easy. We've gotta roll with the punches, and realize, that many upon many, have had it FAR worse.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wingnut, I have a 2016 700 EPS, and it was cranky cold starting and I found giving the throttle a little juice while cranking starts it quickly. It is easier to start after the engine had some hours on it. Maybe you should give it some run time before handing it over to the dealer. I am curious where you bought your machine, as I bought mine at Vickery Motorsports in Denver, although I am only a little over an hour away.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Wingnut, I have a 2016 700 EPS, and it was cranky cold starting and I found giving the throttle a little juice while cranking starts it quickly. It is easier to start after the engine had some hours on it. Maybe you should give it some run time before handing it over to the dealer. I am curious where you bought your machine, as I bought mine at Vickery Motorsports in Denver, although I am only a little over an hour away.
Thanks Den, and yes, I totally agree about waiting. I'm not real keen on dealers or dealer-based service anyway, so that would be an absolute last resort for me, and now that I've discovered the need for throttle when starting, it's acting 100% better. Also, as you've said here, I'm confident that it's slowly going to improve, as the motor breaks-in.

And where did we purchased ours? Tri City Cycles, Loveland, about 900-miles from home, smack in the midst of a 2-3 week long polar vortex. Sheer insanity!

·
Grizzled Mod
208 Posts
A thought just came to me as well since you have resorted to some throttle when starting. Agree to just get the engine broken in and it will probably improve. Some have noticed an improvement starting when they cycle the bike to on, just don't attempt to start it right away. Wait for the fuel line to pressurize first, you will hear it. Should take less than 5 seconds.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
A thought just came to me as well since you have resorted to some throttle when starting. Agree to just get the engine broken in and it will probably improve. Some have noticed an improvement starting when they cycle the bike to on, just don't attempt to start it right away. Wait for the fuel line to pressurize first, you will hear it. Should take less than 5 seconds.
Thank you, and yes, I get that. I'm largely past the start-up problems at this point, and the problem proved to be more me than the bike. :rolleyes:

41 - 53 of 53 Posts