Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed the tuner on my kodiak tonight and wow what a difference. First- it started first time no second try, second - the pull on the lower end is much improved. I have a 3500 lb winch a diy rad relocate, 2 ammo cans full of tools on the front rack and on 28 inch cst wildthangs if I would have leaned back and pulled a bit on the bars I could have wheeled no doubt. I only ran it around the yard and driveway, but I am impressed what difference it made, and this is the caned tune that ehs put in for the kodiak. Tomorrow night the wife’s bear gets her tuner.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Good for you chum! Glad things are working out!

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I installed the tuner on my kodiak tonight and wow what a difference. First- it started first time no second try, second - the pull on the lower end is much improved. I have a 3500 lb winch a diy rad relocate, 2 ammo cans full of tools on the front rack and on 28 inch cst wildthangs if I would have leaned back and pulled a bit on the bars I could have wheeled no doubt. I only ran it around the yard and driveway, but I am impressed what difference it made, and this is the caned tune that ehs put in for the kodiak. Tomorrow night the wife’s bear gets her tuner.
How much was your tuner?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree and love mine. I also added the EHS intake and air box lid and the R2 tip plus blocked the AIS tube. so much cooler and responsive. I am still rolling on stock tires for the moment. I have a bag of Grizzly clutch weights for when I upsize tires. I run with 3 other guys that all have grizzlies and I am not gonna let them know what I've got installed. Might give them a little surprise.

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I agree and love mine. I also added the EHS intake and air box lid and the R2 tip plus blocked the AIS tube. so much cooler and responsive. I am still rolling on stock tires for the moment. I have a bag of Grizzly clutch weights for when I upsize tires. I run with 3 other guys that all have grizzlies and I am not gonna let them know what I've got installed. Might give them a little surprise.
I’ve done the uni filter with a poor mans ehs intake mod, plugged off the ais right after we bought them that alone helped a lot . No lid for me I like mud to much, I know their lid screen is water resistant but I don’t want to take a chance. I decided to run a gold spring with stock weights as I like the cruise rpm the kodiak weights give . My goal was to build a dual purpose machine improve things to play in the mud but still be able to use it for work etc. The biggest reason I am installing the tuners is to help with the longevity of these really lean engines and of course the heat reduction, the extra pep is just a bonus.

Reactions: john zane

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did keep my stock lid just in case, but I'm mostly a hill, rock, and wooded trails guy. I'm not scared of mud and do play { sometimes } but I enjoy the woods more for now. I do love watching and helping mud runs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did keep my stock lid just in case, but I'm mostly a hill, rock, and wooded trails guy. I'm not scared of mud and do play { sometimes } but I enjoy the woods more for now. I do love watching and helping mud runs.
So a question, have you been up to the Intake cover in the watery soupy mud ? If so how did the screen do ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
No I have not. I believe it to be water resistant but definitely not water proof. If I was planning to hit mud and water I would swap out my lid and retune. Planning is the key word and I fail at planning a lot.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I have not. I believe it to be water resistant but definitely not water proof. If I was planning to hit mud and water I would swap out my lid and retune. Planning is the key word and I fail at planning a lot.
Right, I figured, just thought I would see if you had (field tested the screen) wink wink..

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've been thinking of adding one of these to my Kodiak, it runs pretty good but I know it's lean. More fuel will certainly help it run a little cooler. I would imagine the install was straightforward, as in just plug the connector from the EHS unit into your injector and plug the original back into the tuner and then ground the unit. Did you make any changes to the map they have installed or running it as-is?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been thinking of adding one of these to my Kodiak, it runs pretty good but I know it's lean. More fuel will certainly help it run a little cooler. I would imagine the install was straightforward, as in just plug the connector from the EHS unit into your injector and plug the original back into the tuner and then ground the unit. Did you make any changes to the map they have installed or running it as-is?
I did not make any adjustments as the only thing Ive moded was the air filter to a uni clamp on and shortened the intake tube. The little bit of testing I did it was great , but wife and I are planning a trip to the atv park this weekend so I’ll report back after I’ve put some miles on it And yes very straight forward for installation. EHS has YouTube video of how easy it is. I ran my controller to the inside of my storage box and had enough ground wire to reach the battery. Also they sent Velcro to attach the controller to my lid and a nylon sleeve to block off the AIS.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Its simple and takes longer to remove plastic than any thing else. but I did the AIS and intake while I had it removed. There are several preset tunes for what ever your mods are. mine is set to 2 for EHS lid and stock exhaust with or without tip. You can also manipulate shift points/timing from take off to full pull on the last 3 settings. The first 3 setting are for added fuel during take off, mid range and full throttle. I am running canned tune #2 with no changes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks guys, I see one of these in my future! :)

Reactions: Rob-c and john zane

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks guys, I see one of these in my future! :)
Take about 8 minutes and watch the youtube video from EHS racing where the mod a Kodiak with bolt on performance parts and dyno after each. I was sold after and have done them all except slip on exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
89 Posts
Just want to note that I have also purchased an EHS fuel controller for my 2014 Grizzly but I have not installed it just yet. I am waiting on getting a bung welded on my header that will allow me to get my wideband AFR meter active so that I can fine tune fuel settings based on being under load in my local area. Most important is that the fuel map calculations that come preconfigured are done near sea level, I live at 8000 feet. Fuel controllers generally over-fuel for my altitude and not something most need to be concerned with, meaning, the preconfigured settings are generally fine for most.

I had a different brand fuel controller for my 2007 Grizzly and knew it was always running rich, but could not get it dialed in without something sniffing air to fuel burn ratio. When I installed the wideband AFR, it did confirm that the settings were over fueling in 2 of the 3 settings. My approach to the 14 Grizzly is to just do it right for my area, get the wideband installed, then adjust the fueling. Until then, I'm running fueling at OEM, with no modified air intake or exhaust components. I am looking forward to getting my fueling correct though!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Just want to note that I have also purchased an EHS fuel controller for my 2014 Grizzly but I have not installed it just yet. I am waiting on getting a bung welded on my header that will allow me to get my wideband AFR meter active so that I can fine tune fuel settings based on being under load in my local area. Most important is that the fuel map calculations that come preconfigured are done near sea level, I live at 8000 feet. Fuel controllers generally over-fuel for my altitude and not something most need to be concerned with, meaning, the preconfigured settings are generally fine for most.

I had a different brand fuel controller for my 2007 Grizzly and knew it was always running rich, but could not get it dialed in without something sniffing air to fuel burn ratio. When I installed the wideband AFR, it did confirm that the settings were over fueling in 2 of the 3 settings. My approach to the 14 Grizzly is to just do it right for my area, get the wideband installed, then adjust the fueling. Until then, I'm running fueling at OEM, with no modified air intake or exhaust components. I am looking forward to getting my fueling correct though!
Wide bands are nice! Use one for my modified German classic car.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts