Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out riding the logging roads behind our house today and was super impressed with how the Bearclaw HTR handled the snow up on top of the mountain and all of the nasty, muddy clay on the off-road trails I went on today. it has been pretty wet lately and started dumping on me about halfway through my ride, but the quad didn't miss a beat! Even on the steep climbs i had no worries, these tires bit in and pulled me up everything I pointed them at.
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Mountain

Sky Cloud Plant Mountain Tree

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Plant Mountain

It was a beautiful rainy day, and a great ride.

My tire performance got me wondering how the Maxxis Bighorn would have handled the clay mud holes and steep, wet, rocky trails I traversed today. I was torn between the legendary Bighorn and the new Bearclaw HTR when I was shopping for new tires. I heard that the Bighorn may struggle in mud and it got me thinking about the similarities between the Bighorn and the legendary BF Goodrich KO All Terrain. Both are known to be great, tough tires that don't quite handle wet, muddy conditions as well as a tire designed specifically for mud. I thought the bigger, wider spaced lugs on the Bearclaw HTR would work well in the sloppy stuff and I was not disappointed.

So if the BF Goodyear KO All Terrain is the Maxxis Bighorn of the truck world, what would be the equivalent in the truck world of the Kenda Bearclaw HTR? I'm thinking BFG KO3 maybe?

Anyone have thoughts about this they would like to share?

Happy Trails!

: )B

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
523 Posts
Mmmmmm , how about Falken wild peaks or maybe Goodyear duratracks . I run the Falken’s on my truck and they are a fantastic do all tire.
Oh and love the photos ....

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
My tire performance got me wondering how the Maxxis Bighorn would have handled the clay mud holes and steep, wet, rocky trails I traversed today. I was torn between the legendary Bighorn and the new Bearclaw HTR when I was shopping for new tires. I heard that the Bighorn may struggle in mud and it got me thinking about the similarities between the Bighorn and the legendary BF Goodrich KO All Terrain.
The BigHorn original tire handles perfectly good in mud, steep, wet, rocky trails. What is typically mentioned is that the BigHorn original tire does not do well as a specific mud tire will do and that is something that is probably true across the board for a trail type tire, including the HTR. So guys specifically searching and running mud holes recommend going with a specific mud tire design.

·
Registered
361 Posts
That's your backyard? Can I come to your house for a visit?lol. That's beautiful scenery.I could sit there looking at that forever.What a place to ride.How high are you? or should I ask what is the altitude ?lol.How far can you see? Sorry for all the questions I haven't gotten out much lately..

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Mmmmmm , how about Falken wild peaks or maybe Goodyear duratracks . I run the Falken’s on my truck and they are a fantastic do all tire.
Definitely not duratracs... That garbage would be closer to the oem maxis tire. Lol

Love my wildpeaks at3w on the ram.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
122 Posts

Definitely not duratracs... That garbage would be closer to the oem maxis tire. Lol

Love my wildpeaks at3w on the ram.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
The Duratracs on my Tacoma are one of the best tires I've run in 57 years. They are not the new kid on the block, they are still a best-seller and as tough as they are long lasting. I am about to buy HTR's for my K700...after 4 years of plowing with the OEM tires...which aren't pretty or super tough...but the OEM's have never left me walking :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The Duratracs on my Tacoma are one of the best tires I've run in 57 years. They are not the new kid on the block, they are still a best-seller and as tough as they are long lasting. I am about to buy HTR's for my K700...after 4 years of plowing with the OEM tires...which aren't pretty or super tough...but the OEM's have never left me walking :)
We have Goodyear Duratracs and Bfgoodrich All terrains on our entire fleet of work trucks.

Both tires seem to do equally well threw the hell these trucks must endure year round.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's your backyard? Can I come to your house for a visit?lol. That's beautiful scenery.I could sit there looking at that forever.What a place to ride.How high are you? or should I ask what is the altitude ?lol.How far can you see? Sorry for all the questions I haven't gotten out much lately..
O.k. so technically not my back yard, but I can be up to that spot from my house in a half an hour of leisurely riding. 😁 You make the trip out here and I would be glad to show off some southern oregon spots! Well Buckhorn Mountain is 3677 feet above sea level, so I am guessing that spot is around 2500 or so. In the right spot up there I can see a long way! I can see Grant's Pass, Merlin, Hugo and off in the distance Mt Mcloughlin.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OEMs never left me walking either, but only because I carry plugs, patch kit and inflators!

Those things would get punctured if you looked at then wrong and did not hold air well. I had to top all 4 of them off before each ride.

I just topped off 1 front and 1 rear pf the HTRs for the first time since 1 got them over a year ago. LOVE the HTRs!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I went with kenda HTRS but stuck with 'stock sizes ' these tires are so good for my rocky terrain that I'm afraid that I will not be willing to try Pitbulls, Pro Radials , Carnivores, etc. So many great choices to be had. Walk into any sporting goods store and tell me which of the 150 tennis shoe choices is best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts