Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I have a question.When i jump off the machine, do i put the trans in neutral,park or just leave in gear? Now im talking jumping off to move something ,just say 2minutes..

·
Registered
410 Posts
On level ground if I am stepping off to pick up the ' litter bug feces ' or other quick task then leaving in 'gear ' is fine.. if off for couple minutes or on any slope at all place her in P.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Sir..

·
Registered
373 Posts
Unless it's going to roll somewhere Im rarely parked in park. Use your judgement.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Interesting reply’s, if I’m off the quad and it’s still running it’s in park. if I get off on a hill I’ll leave in gear but shut it off.

Reactions: KodiakAfishyo

·
Registered
410 Posts
When you shut her off while in gear you will hear a slight clunk just as when going into park. It is my understanding that park function is engaging. Not sure about this but feels like it is. You guys who know the innards better than me please school me if this is incorrect.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Im a mountain man. It ends up in P most of the time. Its nice not having to look back at your machine with worry every 20 secondso_O

Reactions: Vincent

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
When you shut her off while in gear you will hear a slight clunk just as when going into park. It is my understanding that park function is engaging. Not sure about this but feels like it is. You guys who know the innards better than me please school me if this is incorrect.
It isn't in park unless you shift it into park, it can still roll if you are on a incline and you just shut it off and leave it in H

Reactions: Vincent and Jssrvlz

·
Registered
410 Posts
No doubt about that. I live on a limestone ridge and virtually always use park, however on level ground I will step off while idling without worry.
For only to grab something and hop back on . I also Jay walk and do rolling stops when apprapo. ;)

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mr.Husker,you make me laugh.Most people take $hit way to serious.A little humer goes a long way..

·
Registered
122 Posts
When on mostly flat land I leave it in L or H when I hop off for a minute or two with it running.

If I am going to be off it longer I hit P and shut off the motor.

Perfect example is when I am plowing and need to change the blade angle...I never put it in P for that task.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks DUDE.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Went out to the steep road next to me. If you turn off the quad in high or low while pointed down hill the bike does indeed lock into a ' park function ' if pointed up hill the bike will coast backward. You can feel the locking 'clunk ' when it engages. Give it a try. Still and all use park if any chance of roll. But I continue to put forth the proposition that as a built in safety function it does prevent forward free wheeling.

·
Registered
410 Posts
This is the same for the 450 and the 700. Also if in reverse and bike is turned off it will not roll backwards if pointed up hill but will roll forward in reverse if pointed downhill. Reverse doesn't help but you can turn her off in high or low and restart with grip of the left brake lever and thumbing the starter button without fighting the slotted lever. Helpful if stopping often and on appropriate slope. I'm sure most already know this. Had to post something... no NBA playoffs. HOCKEY TONIGHT!!

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
It's not a park feature but the clutches grabbing.

Hook up your second machine to the other one and while it is shut off see what happens when you drag it.

are the rear tires locked up or do they turn as you pull it forward or backwards.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Good idea. Will give it a try tomorrow afternoon after work. Sounds like a 3 beer job.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm sure you are correct..thus the difference between forward/reverse. In park you are locked up.. no forward or reverse. Makes sense. But if a person is on/off the bike often it will hold very well turned off in high or low. Avoids the mildly annoying slotted selector.

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
There is a member on here that a few years ago went in and modified the shift locking mechanism to where he could pretty much just shift when he wanted, no brake pedal involved.

You have to pull some plastics off and cut off a tab on a bracket.

·
Registered
385 Posts
There is a member on here that a few years ago went in and modified the shift locking mechanism to where he could pretty much just shift when he wanted, no brake pedal involved.

You have to pull some plastics off and cut off a tab on a bracket.
My pals 16 has the mechanism that requires the brake to shift. My 18 does not have the mechanism requiring the brake. Like they decided it was not needed.

I think it is #22 a little spring loaded nipple of sorts. My 18 does not have this devices, it just gets in the way of the shift lever until you apply brakes
Text Line art Diagram

1 - 20 of 20 Posts