Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I have replaced the stock filter air with a uni filter.
Our conditions are not super dusty.

How do you know when the uni filter is in need of cleaning or changing?

What do you folks use to clean the uni filter?

Would it be ok to use LA's Totally Awesome, Simple Green or Krud Cutter to clean the uni filter?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My new freshly oil oem filter vs an old dirty one..... This application was for my 2009 grizzly...

Attachments

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Grizzled Mod
334 Posts
Since UNI air filters are laminated, I’ve always understood you should use UNI service chemicals to clean and oil them to avoid separating the lamination because the glue dissolves. I do not know this is true but can say I’ve got good life out of the two UNI filters I have and only use the UNI products to service them. If you do a general search, you may find info out there where using non-UNI service chemicals have caused delamination.

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Registered
514 Posts
Howdy,
I have replaced the stock filter air with a uni filter.
Our conditions are not super dusty.

How do you know when the uni filter is in need of cleaning or changing?

What do you folks use to clean the uni filter?

Would it be ok to use LA's Totally Awesome, Simple Green or Krud Cutter to clean the uni filter?
At the bare minimum, you should inspect and clean your ATV's air filter with every motor oilchange, or approximately after every 50 hours of use. However, if you ride in dusty or sandy conditions often, you should clean your air filter more frequently than that.
A good rule of thumb is to check and clean the air filter on your ATV after every ride. It may seem like a lot of work, but remember this: a clean air filter means you get more horsepower, longer engine life and less frequent oil changes. That sounds like a pretty good trade-off for the work you put into it, don't you think?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the bare minimum, you should inspect and clean your ATV's air filter with every motor oil change, or approximately after every 50 hours of use. However, if you ride in dusty or sandy conditions often, you should clean your air filter more frequently than that.
A good rule of thumb is to check and clean the air filter on your ATV after every ride. It may seem like a lot of work, but remember this: a clean air filter means you get more horsepower, longer engine life and less frequent oil changes. That sounds like a pretty good trade-off for the work you put into it, don't you think?
Thank you Rob-c for the kind and thoughtful reply. Our machine is used for ranch work only. No play toy stuff.

The cost of cleaning the uni filter is significant for us. I think we will follow your guidance to clean it at every oil change. I will inspect it once in awhile in between oil changes.

The filter hasn't been change for 160 hours and to me it just doesn't look that dirty. But then again I may not have the knowledge or experience to make that call. Until we got this atv for ranch work we used mostly horses. Never had an atv before.

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
I have ran these oiled filers for as long as 3 years without giving them a cleaning. You do have to inspect them and if you start to get caked on dirt then you are a ways past when you should of cleaned it.

We are all different in where we run these machines. If you are running it where there is very little dust you may be able to get a couple of years out of it, but then if you are doing trail rides bumper to bumper then you may have to clean or change them out more often.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have ran these oiled filers for as long as 3 years without giving them a cleaning. You do have to inspect them and if you start to get caked on dirt then you are a ways past when you should of cleaned it.

We are all different in where we run these machines. If you are running it where there is very little dust you may be able to get a couple of years out of it, but then if you are doing trail rides bumper to bumper then you may have to clean or change them out more often.
Thank ya kindly Jim. Ill be sure to look for caked on dirt showing up on the filter.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I do not understand what you mean by what you wrote.

Sorry for the delay, I missed your reply.. I was saying that the filter socks make cleaning a breeze. Peel it off every now and again and wash it out under the faucet. Kinda an in between regular cleaning...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the delay, I missed your reply.. I was saying that the filter socks make cleaning a breeze. Peel it off every now and again and wash it out under the faucet. Kinda an in between regular cleaning...
Thank you sir.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts