Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New to this forum and new to Yamaha atv's. If someone could tell me if they'd had any issues with the fitting of an HMP Titan exhaust on a 2021 kodiak 700 or looks like 2016 and newer are the same (and 07 and up grizzlies). The fitting into the header pipe looks to be way too much of a bad angle to me and not only do I have confidence on that fit not eventually leaking but the top exhaust spring is vibrating on the header heat shield near the joint. When I work the spring over away from the shield it works its way back and vibrates with acceleration changes. The stock muffler fits perfect as it should. HMF says the fitting is normal and ok which I am surprised. I've done at least a dozen exhaust changes on motorcycles and 2 atv's including a few HMF swaps and have never had a joint as angled as this one nor even seen one this bad. I know a small amount off can be expected but doubtful this much. It took 2 guys to get the bottom spring on after about 20 tries and 2 spring tools. I read it was hard on these but sure seemed harder than it should have and I suspect because of the bad fit. The muffler feed pipe is also about a quarter of an inch from the heat tape FMF sent I installed. I added more around it as well. Seems awful close but HMF says normal and ok. First pic bottom and second pic top. Any info from anyone with good or bad experience and results really appreciated.
Revolver Automotive tire Gas Engineering Automotive design
Gas Engineering Machine Fixture Nickel

·
Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
478 Posts
I had installed a HMF Swamp Series (now called Titan) on my 2007 Grizzly 700 and didn't experience fitment issues or any leaks at the header pipe to exhaust junction. I don't use spring tools, instead using about a 3 ft section of paracord to pull up and remove the springs. Assuming your method does not stretch the springs since you are using a dedicated tool. I did notice that the springs seemed to extend out further with the HMF exhaust than the OEM exhaust.

Couple of things to point out. In 2014, the Yamaha 686cc engine was given a new head and header pipe, among other items. The previous head had dual exhaust ports with dual pipes that combined prior to the exhaust junction. The new header pipe has the exhaust ports combined at the header pipe flange and then is a single pipe to the exhaust. Point being, it is different from my old 2007 Grizzly 700 to my current 2014 Grizzly 700. I have never put an aftermarket exhaust on my 2014 Grizzly 700 to know if the header pipe to exhaust junction is troubled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Redrocket thanks for the info. HMF site says these are supposed to fit 07-22 grizzles and 16-22 kodiaks. Can't help but wonder now if there are any even small differences between the years and models they made a compromise on fitting some to be able to fit all the different models/years. They just agreed to have me send it back and they will check it on their jig. If off they will fix it and cover shipping back to me. If not, I pay shipping both ways. I asked them that if there is something defective with it will they reimburse me for shipping it to them which seems right but haven't heard back. It's going to s__k to be me if I have a nearly $500 exhaust I can't use. And a big hassle to boot. We'll see how it goes.

·
Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
478 Posts
If you do an OEM part lookup, on any online OEM parts dealer, the header pipe is the same part number used on the 686cc and 708cc engine from 2014 to present. 2007-2008 has its own header pipe part number and then 2009-2013 another header pipe part number. So the Yamaha 700 class has seen 3 different header pipes from 2007 to present.

It's hard to tell but are you certain your "muffler gasket" (doughnut) isn't worn oddly causing the problem? It is hard to identify, in your pictures, specifically what you're referring to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, thanks for that info. Here is a pic and you can see the bad pipe angle fitting to the doughnut. This is a bottom view. That barely looks like it is tight enough on there to not leak. Especially after getting beat around riding. Never seen one so off. Until I tighten the muffler down, the angle is acceptable so it seems like something with it is off and not the bike. Loosening the header bolts as HMF suggested for installing the springs didn't seem to help. They said this is the hardest spring to get on of all their exhausts. I believe it. Will try your paracord suggestion but the tool I have are made specifically for this so went that route. Bike only has about 450 miles and 47 hours on it so hopefully not enough for doughnut to be worn.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tread

·
Registered
2016 Kodiak EPS, 26”HTR’s, 18g, EHS airbox/tuner, Barker Slip on.
11 Posts
to help. They said this is the hardest spring to get on of all their exhausts. I believe it. Will try your paracord suggestion but the tool I have are made specifically for this so went that route. Bike only has about 450 miles and 47 hours on it so hopefully not enough for doughnut to be worn. View attachment 11754
[/QUOTE]
Interesting, thanks for that info. Here is a pic and you can see the bad pipe angle fitting to the doughnut. This is a bottom view. That barely looks like it is tight enough on there to not leak. Especially after getting beat around riding. Never seen one so off. Until I tighten the muffler down, the angle is acceptable so it seems like something with it is off and not the bike. Loosening the header bolts as HMF suggested for installing the springs didn't seem to help. They said this is the hardest spring to get on of all their exhausts. I believe it. Will try your paracord suggestion but the tool I have are made specifically for this so went that route. Bike only has about 450 miles and 47 hours on it so hopefully not enough for doughnut to be worn. View attachment 11754

·
Registered
2016 Kodiak EPS, 26”HTR’s, 18g, EHS airbox/tuner, Barker Slip on.
11 Posts
By the look of those pics that’s got to be the wrong pipe for that model year. The Barkers slip on I have is for the 14-21 model year. However I have no experience with HMF exhausts. I hope they make it right, or refund you 100%.
Maybe someone will chime in that has that exhaust on their Kodiak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The muffler bracket looks to be slightly in the wrong position. Or the pipe not welded to the muffler correctly. To correct it the muffler mount bracket looks to me like needs to go back just a small amount to align the pipe better with the doughnut when tightened. I loosened everything up again today and tried again but same results when muffler tightened down. Sending it back to them to hopefully get it "adjusted" to the correct position to fit correctly. I looked at the Barker exhaust but it appears to be too loud for the northeast where I ride ie New Hampshire and Maine to not risk being questioned. As much as I'd like that extra performance boost. But now I am sensitive to loud exhausts also. When I was younger no problem, actually liked it. Hopefully will get this worked out with HMF. My stock pipe is spot on. I don't need perfection but I just need closer than it is, thats all. Hoping to hear from others with the HMF slip on this bike as because I haven't, can't help but this this is not the norm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. Good to hear someone did not have the issue. Sent the exhaust back. Hopefully they'll find the issue. Yes those springs are the worst. Not looking forward to that again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts