Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

New to the forum and took ownership of my Kodiak last week. I’m currently in the process of breaking my engine in, but had a few questions/looking for advice.

1) What speed should I keep the kodiak under when in low gear? If I’m in low 4 wheel drive what speed should I keep it under?

2) When in high gear and in 4 wheel drive should I keep it under a certain speed or am I good to go at any speed?

3) When using differential lock/4 wheel drive are there any speed limitations? Should differential lock/4 wheel drive only be used in low gear or can it be used in high gear also? Speed limitations?

Any other suggestions for driving in low/hi/differential/4 wheel drive is appreciated!

Thank you all for your knowledge and assistance!

·
Registered
272 Posts
My understanding of it when I recently broke in an engine is they don't want you staying at any speed, or more importantly any rpm for any length of time. Certainly don't rev up the engine all the way but you should rev it up 1/2 to 3/4 sometimes and keep varying the rpm's.
On the trail ride it's easy to keep speeding up then slowing down all the time because that's what the trail calls for. When I was driving on a dirt road I had to consciously keep from settling in on one speed.

I hope that helps. What are your thoughts on the Kodiak so far?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve only used it around the house for a bit of work, used it to run my dogs a bit. I’m waiting to get with some friends to take it out on the trails. So far it is great. This is my first quad so I don’t have anything else to compare it to, other than my previous Suzuki GSXR750. Although that is a sport bike so they’re in two different leagues. So far the power on the Kodiak seems great. It definitely seems to have that strong low end grunt power, which I like.

I just don’t know much about using high vs low gears and the 4 wheel drive/differential lock. If I’m in high gear can I run 4 wheel drive at any speed?

·
Super Moderator
1,078 Posts
You can run in 4x4 as fast as you want.

As for the diff lock there is a speed limiter on it so you can't go very fast with it in lock.

You will very seldom ever need low range. If you get into some rocks or very rough terrine that you want to go slow in then use the 4 lo. About the only time that I have used it is when pulling a heavy trailer out of my backyard.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Like JimP said, you can drive as fast as you want in 4wd. No issues

In low range your Rev limited will kick a bit over 40ish mph. Lots of steep hills in my area so I use Low frequently.

The speed limit in diff lock comes on at 20mph but if you press the override button you bypass the speed limiter. Generally I use diff lock wih low range myself.

·
Super Moderator
240 Posts
I too am still in the break in window, just hit 110 km in it over the weekend.for the first 50 km, she never seen much over 1/2 throttle , and max 3/4 throttle maybe 2-4 times. i still haven't pinned it wot, at 3/4 i can hit 91 kph. i just very my speed as required for the trail, no extended periods at one speed, and no big mud or snow, no need to over work it before its broke in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts