Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined this forum because I'm looking for the actual torque number for the 2016 708 cc motor. I've found the HP number but not torque. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I myself have never seen torque numbers listed, I have always wanted to know too.

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
To find the torque of any engine follow this formula:

torque = Hp x 5252 / RPM

So for the 700 engine it is 48.3 x 5252 / what ever RPM you are at so if you are at 1000 RPM the torque value is 253 ft/lbs of torque

All you need to know is the RPM's of the engine

Every engine out there if you look at a chart Hp vs torque they equal out at 5252 RPM's

·
Registered
148 Posts
254 ft/ lb of torque .. impossible. Not a chance. Need to confirm your conversion formula IMHO. I believe that you have been misinformed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So my 5.0 making 380 ft lbs in my truck only makes 127 ft lbs more torque than my kodiak ?
I found this calculator that makes a bit more sense. I put in my numbers for my truck and my 5.0 makes 360 hp at 5500 rpm and 343.8 torque at that rpm . The thing one needs to know is what’s the hp of a kodiak 700 engine at 1000,1500,2000 etc rpm to calculate the torque out put. The max torque output will always come in lower in the rpm. I did 48 hp at 6500 rpm and got 38.8 pound ft of torque and that sounds right.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The only way to accurately determine the torque is to Dyno the unit. Also the numb can be found at the crank level or at the wheels (your real world torque) as I have done with a rebuilt engine 2000 WRX. Spun bearings racing.

·
Super Moderator
68 Posts
So my 5.0 making 380 ft lbs in my truck only makes 127 ft lbs more torque than my kodiak ?
I found this calculator that makes a bit more sense. I put in my numbers for my truck and my 5.0 makes 360 hp at 5500 rpm and 343.8 torque at that rpm . The thing one needs to know is what’s the hp of a kodiak 700 engine at 1000,1500,2000 etc rpm to calculate the torque out put. The max torque output will always come in lower in the rpm. I did 48 hp at 6500 rpm and got 38.8 point ft of torque and that sounds right.
Exactly. That equation JimP posted is accurate and notice that for the Ford 5.0, the torque rating given over the years is published at different RPMs for peak torque. Those are also flywheel rated which will be the same for the Yamaha engines since the HP number given will also be at the flywheel.

Reactions: Terbear

·
Registered
491 Posts
I found this calculator that makes a bit more sense. I put in my numbers for my truck and my 5.0 makes 360 hp at 5500 rpm and 343.8 torque at that rpm . The thing one needs to know is what’s the hp of a kodiak 700 engine at 1000,1500,2000 etc rpm to calculate the torque out put. The max torque output will always come in lower in the rpm. I did 48 hp at 6500 rpm and got 38.8 pound ft of torque and that sounds right.
Interesting...I used your link to the calculator and put in 5000rpm and it came out at 50.7 ft/lb of torque...It is fun to play with the numbers and see the results.

·
Registered
613 Posts
To find the torque of any engine follow this formula:

torque = Hp x 5252 / RPM

So for the 700 engine it is 48.3 x 5252 / what ever RPM you are at so if you are at 1000 RPM the torque value is 253 ft/lbs of torque

All you need to know is the RPM's of the engine

Every engine out there if you look at a chart Hp vs torque they equal out at 5252 RPM's
Your not using the calculation properly..

"IF" peak hp of 48.3 hp was at 6500 rpms

48.3 x 5252 / 6500 rpms
= 39 ft lbs of torque

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
I agree but I just stuck the rpm figure in for a example, not saying that was the actual toque number at that time. As you say it is dependent on the actual horsepower at the RPM's.

Reactions: Terbear and Rob-c

·
Registered
613 Posts
I agree but I just stuck the rpm figure in for a example, not saying that was the actual toque number at that time. As you say it is dependent on the actual horsepower at the RPM's.
Yes but you don't make 48 hp at a 1000 RPM.... So this calculation if completely point less.

We don't know the actual peak hp rpms but I would bet it's between 6400 - 6700 rpms.

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
But until we get someone that comes up with a tachometer for these machines and then sticks it onto a dyno all of us are just guessing

Even the 48 hp is suspect because that is quite likely at the flywheel and you would loose quite a bit through the transmission, belt, and the rear end.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ehs has YouTube videos showing gains on his mods, only problem is he doesn’t zoom in on the hp / trq #’s at what rpm enough so one can read them.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
613 Posts
But until we get someone that comes up with a tachometer for these machines and then sticks it onto a dyno all of us are just guessing

Even the 48 hp is suspect because that is quite likely at the flywheel and you would loose quite a bit through the transmission, belt, and the rear end.
That's already been done by Eric at EHS tuning. The 2016 to 2020 Grizzlys dyno at around 33 hp at the rear wheels in stock form

·
Registered
613 Posts
He has a bunch of other ones for different years, and models at various level of modification..... It's super interesting and educational actually!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
From everything I've seen/found and watching all the EHS videos I'd put money on 40-42ftlbs with a peak around 5000rpm, the Kodiak is clutched for around 5500rpm and the Grizzly 6400rpm from the factory. Using my tach clamp on my Mac Tools multimeter showed 5400-5500rpm all stock WOT, and 6100-6200 with 20g weights (pre-16' Grizzly)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts