Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I have a 2017 Yamaha Kodiak 700. We bought it from someone and it has snorkels and HMF on it. We were having a problem with it bogging and then a week later it didn’t want to start. When I got it to start it would start for a very short period not even a minute and then shut off. When I tried to start it again it did t want to start. We took it to an ATV shop and they’ve had it for a month. He checked the fuel system and he said there are no problems there. He said it runs 50lbs the Yamaha dealership told me that was too high. He thought it was a firing issue but he said that wasn’t it. He ordered a sensor and thought that was it but now he said it had a ground issue? Can someone help me?

·
Super Moderator
89 Posts
HMF Racing sells multiple items for the Kodiak/Grizzly. What specifically is the HMF part you're referring too? Is it the fuel optimizer?

Has the shop verified the compression?

·
Super Moderator
89 Posts
I can't find what the compression test range is for the 708cc engine for 2017. Not saying they are correct or wrong.

Based on what is said so far, it could be a fueling issue. I would be tempted to try a quick shot of starter fluid to see if it starts. If it does, good chance the problem could be fueling. Has the fuel pressure been tested?

·
Super Moderator
89 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
I would start by pulling the fuel optimizer off of the injector circuit and see what happens.

Electronics are nice up to the point that they start to fail and then the regular trouble shooting methods are almost out the window.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I agree with JimP. Get back to stock form and see if it will start and run. Surprised the Dealer hasn’t tried that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't find what the compression test range is for the 708cc engine for 2017. Not saying they are correct or wrong.

Based on what is said so far, it could be a fueling issue. I would be tempted to try a quick shot of starter fluid to see if it starts. If it does, good chance the problem could be fueling. Has the fuel pressure been tested?
I agree with JimP. Get back to stock form and see if it will start and run. Surprised the Dealer hasn’t tried that.
L

I know that I talked to a Yamaha dealer and they said 40- 45 lbs if we unplug the programmer it will run and shut off

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
For trouble shooting it yourself you are going to have to get a fuel pressure gauge and plumb it in so that you can watch what the pressure is.

While the optimizer can not increase the fuel pressure but something is. It may just be a bad fuel pump or a fuel pressure regulator if there is one. But if the dealer couldn't figure it out I would perhaps take it to another dealer and have them look at it.

One other question, did it ever run right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For trouble shooting it yourself you are going to have to get a fuel pressure gauge and plumb it in so that you can watch what the pressure is.

While the optimizer can not increase the fuel pressure but something is. It may just be a bad fuel pump or a fuel pressure regulator if there is one. But if the dealer couldn't figure it out I would perhaps take it to another dealer and have them look at it.

One other question, did it ever run right?
Since we’ve gotten it it hasn’t we thought it was the fuel optimizer on it. It’s bogged since we’ve gotten it

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
It sounds like the previous owner got rid of his problems and you inherited them.

There is a possibility that they swamped it or sunk it into some deep water and sucked water into the engine. That's where I can't figure out why the dealer couldn't figure it out.

When it dies does it chug like it is out of gas or does it just bog down and dies?

When you try to restart the engine does it turn over slow or fast and how long does it take to restart?

Looking in the battery compartment does it look like there was water in it? Look in the corners for mud or slit in them.

I would still pull the fuel optimizer off until it gets running right.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The atv shop said it wasn’t sunk or anything. It was working good when we got it. It just didn’t run quite right. I’m thinking of taking it to an actual Yamaha dealership. The guy that has it says it’s not a fuel problem nor a firing issue. He put the sensor on it and just says there’s a grounding issue he said something about when he holds it in his hand it does fine? Not to sure what that meant. I don’t know too much about four wheelers just relaying what he has told us.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
Interesting, if it runs fine when the optimizer is not attached to the machine then I would suppose that there is a internal ground on the box that is grounding out the electronics in the box.

That is where I was wondering how it ran with it disconnected and not operating, you might even try disconnecting the power lead and see what happens.

Deffintaly a Yamaha shop should be able to help a little bit better. At least they can put the Yamaha diagnostic tool onto it and see what it says.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting, if it runs fine when the optimizer is not attached to the machine then I would suppose that there is a internal ground on the box that is grounding out the electronics in the box.

That is where I was wondering how it ran with it disconnected and not operating, you might even try disconnecting the power lead and see what happens.

Deffintaly a Yamaha shop should be able to help a little bit better. At least they can put the Yamaha diagnostic tool onto it and see what it says.
With the optimizer off it will run for maybe 5 sec and then cut off.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
Right now I think that you are going to be better off taking it to a Yamaha shop where they can run the diagnostics on it and see if they can get it running right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right now I think that you are going to be better off taking it to a Yamaha shop where they can run the diagnostics on it and see if they can get it running right.
I greatly appreciate your help I believe we will do so. Thank you so much

1 - 16 of 16 Posts