Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Grizz 660. In the last year it has had starting issues. I replaced the relay and it worked for a while. Took it in and they replaced the relay again. Worked well for a month then would not start. Took it in again and they replaced the starter. Worked 2 months then stopped working again! Battery is good, fuses are good. When you push the starter it burps for 2 seconds like it wants to start then all I hear is the familiar click, click and nothing else. Any ideas?

·
Registered
515 Posts
When you press your start button several times does the relay click ? You can hold you’re finger on the relay to see .

·
Registered
575 Posts
If it turns over and starts when you jump start it, that usually tells you the issue is your battery, but not always. You can measure the voltage that your charging system is putting out, and if that is near 14 volts then that is one more step to indicate your battery is the issue, not always! When you jump start it it is a good idea to hook your cables on the battery connections, that makes sure you are not bypassing a poor connection on the wiring. If your lights work well while driving the machine, and are full bright then that too leads you to a weak battery, because that shows the charging system is working.

When you jump start it, be very careful to not touch that positive red cable to the frame or any metal other than the battery connection, as that would be a dead short and makes dangerous sparks and is just bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jumping it did nothing. I tried to attach a video of what it is doing but cannot do that it seems.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Just for the heck of it tap the starter with something.When I say tap I mean TAP it good, not like driving a nail but a good whack. Usually all it takes is a good whack,for me anyhow..

·
Grizzled Mod
340 Posts
I tried to attach a video of what it is doing but cannot do that it seems.
This forum site does not support hosting video. You will need to host your video on somewhere like youtube or vimeo and then post the video link in a post on this thread or forum.

·
Grizzled Mod
340 Posts
Have the battery load tested, the only true way to know if a battery is good. A voltage check on a battery is only good to tell you if the proper voltage is available but does not tell you the battery is holding the minimum amount of Amps needed to crank the engine. Auto-parts stores or Walmart can do a free load test if you bring the battery to them. Additionally, remove and clean the chassis ground, starter cables, battery cables and starter relay cables. This is cheap and easy to do and something that should be part of regular maintenance. I have seen a CAT that was clicking start right up after all previously mentioned terminals were cleaned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts