Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My adult kids think my wife and I should buy and wear a helmet while trailing on our Kodiak. Do you guys wear a helmet? None of my friends that trail ride their ATVs wear them. We are not young any more and don't get crazy riding or do really gnarly trails.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our Kodiak is used mostly on the farm so I tend not to wear a helmet when I'm zipping around here, but if I intend to go trail riding I will always wear my helmet, because you just never know what will happen, I've been hit in the head by big tree branches I didn't see (probably my fault), and I've even been thrown off and smashed a helmet on a rock, also when I was younger I joined the rollover club and did a number to my helmet, so had I not been wearing one I'm sure it would have hurt a lot more than just my pride.
I obviously don't know your definition of "crazy riding" but I think I'm a pretty relaxed rider and I've had some wicked things happen. So my vote goes to wearing a helmet, even if it isn't a full face it'll still protect you more than not wearing one at all if get into an accident.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wear my snowmobile helmet in the winter time mostly to keep my face from freezing off while out ice fishing or riding around in the woods. In the warmer times of the year I find myself wearing it most of the time if I'm strictly trail riding with friends but during hunting and trapping season I never wear a helmet. All in all helmets are a good thing to wear in case something happens they are cheap (not that cheap sometimes) insurance, you only get one head so protect it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In PA law requires you to wear a helmet while riding ATV. Amazing that you don't have to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle on the street in PA

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
I personally have never worn a helmet while riding my ATV's but I can see the need to. So if you are so inclined to wear one then go ahead and wear one. It is a personal choice.

Now if I did decide to wear one it would be a open face half helmet. When I rode motorcycles I always wore a full face one and never did really feel comfortable wearing one.

There was a article and link to deciding on what type of helmet to wear, here is a link to it.

http://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/322-kodiak-700-news-section/6474-how-choose-atv-helmet.html

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here in NS they're law, and I always wear one, even riding in my Maverick (Those roll bars are harder than my head)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Different places , different laws. Here in MI also is the law to wear a helmet while on any off road vehicle, while the law does not require a helmet on a street motorcycle on public roads anymore. That doesn't stop me from wearing a helmet on my motorcycle. To each its own...

·
Registered
82 Posts
No law here in Maine . . . but I wear a helmet depending on the activity. If I am clearing trails and will be hopping on and off the ATV frequently I'll leave the helmet at home . . .ditto for plowing, yard work, hauling firewood, etc.

However, if I am going on a club ride I will often wear the helmet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts