Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

just purchased a new kodiak 700. When trailering my snowmobile I always strap it down by the unsuspended parts so that if a bump is it hard the skidoo’s suspension compression doesn’t let the straps potentially come loose and the rebound doesn’t put undue stress onto the chassis/mounting hardware causing it to potentially break or prematurely wear.

What is the best way to secure an atv to a trailer to minimize how suspension can affect tie down points?

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
For normal straps use 4 of them in a X pattern. I like to do it on both side where the straps are pulling against each other. This way you can hook them to the racks and then to the trailer.

Another type of strap that is good is these Shockstraps that use a neoprene cushion to allow for the bounces.

Ratchet Straps | Tie Downs Straps | ShockStrap.com

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
357 Posts
I only use ratchet straps. My trailer is enclosed, so I have tried a few different solutions. Although it might be a little controversial, I like 4 straps, wrapping each tire, and going in an X like Jim suggested. Seems to hold good as far as I can tell. Takes suspension out of it, but it does load the tire some. And you kinda need to have some good tread blocks to hold the strap in place.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use 4 motorcycle straps that have safety latches on the hooks. The straps loop around the bumper/rack and attach back to themself and even IF they happen to loosen up, the hooks can't pop off.
Motorcycle safety straps

Reactions: Kingwalleye
1 - 6 of 6 Posts