Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2016 Kodiak 700 EPS SE. I’m upgrading from a 2007 Honda Rancher 420. I’m here to learn about the new machine!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There’s quite a few differences.

Definitely Horsepower, straight rear axle, the Honda is a 2x4, it’s a smaller machine, doesn’t have electric power steering, no handle bar mounted light, it has a foot shifter and the reverse is on the left break lever.

The Yamaha is a more capable machine in every way but you also can’t beat Honda reliability we’ve had it since 07 and it’s been 100% reliable.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,248 Posts
Wow, that is a big difference. I didn't realize the Rancher was a 2x4. I'm always amazed at how capable a 2wd atv is.
A 2 wheel drive machine is quite capable for running trails and a lot of other things, just not mudding.

But it always comes down to the fact that it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I would say that 90% of my riding is in 2wd on my Kodiak, even when I had my 2000 Kodiak it was the same. I only put it into 4wd when I was loading or was riding is some slick terrine, or rock climbing. It goes without saying that it was always in 4wd when I was plowing snow.

Last summer I put a 501Parts front diff lock into my base model and it also comes down to the point of having it if I need it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I was running the trails in 2wd on Saturday and it could handle everything the trail threw at it, then I put it back in 4wd. 2wd can get you there but 4wd can terrorize the place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts